Oval racing - Slow AI

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ControlLogix, Sep 28, 2022.

1. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

Haven't played for a while and tried out the new updates. I loaded up a race at the Daytona Tri-Oval layout with the F USA gen 3 cars. I put the AI difficulty up to 120 with 31 cars on the grid and started from the back. Within a few laps I went from last to first and believe me I'm not that amazing lol. Is there an issue with the AI speed in ovals? Also I seem to get a bigger boost from drafting than any of the AI cars and can just continually pass them and end up in front in a few laps.

I tried using one of the lower HP F USA gen 3 cars and it was the same result, just took a lap or two longer.

I used the default setup and just adjusted fuel to match the number of laps so it's not like I figured out any setup magic to achieve this.

Anyone figure out how to fix this?

2. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Personally, I find the AI too fast on the ovals except Gateway. I have to lower the AI level on Daytona and Fontana. So I don't know what to tell you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Were you running low, medium, or high aggression for the AI? Sometimes on low aggression they get inordinately slow. On high aggression I need to fiddle with the default setup to even keep up with their straight-line speed. However, after 10 minute their tyres are gone (the AI tyre wear is faster than the player) and their pace falls off while the player will keep getting faster and faster even when their tyres are at 30%. It's just kinda weird to race against AI that keep constantly battling 3-wide in a pack of 20+ cars when they should fall in line and draft each other. They lose so much time constantly shuffling around and are dangerous to drive close to.

4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is no fix.

5. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All of the above. Only Reiza can fix this and other AI issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

I was using 120 skill, low aggression, 32 cars. I tried again with your suggestion and used 120 skill, max aggression, 32 cars, and same thing, last to first in 8 laps. I then tried 120 skills, max aggression, 10 cars, and same result. Seems there's a few issues: AI seems to slow down around each other, and drafting seems to work differently for player vs AI.
    I find it confusing how they can release this big update that makes a big deal of the oval racing, but then seemingly not test it before sending it out. Like it's impossible to have a good race in ovals against the AI. Kinda sucks, hope it gets sorted out.

7. Erik G

Erik G New Member

My findings is that AI is slow in corners everywhere. And an oval is essentially just corners.

It's sad because they are the most fun AI I have driven with for a long time.