1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

I'm following this interesting discussion since a few days and did myself a few tests.
    On my end I can confirm the sudden jump from idle to some higher revs (3000, 4000, depending on the car) which is not present in real live and also not in other simulators. Lowering the sensitivity as described above definitely helps to mitigate this. However, for me this feels like a strange dead-zone issue (like the 0 in the menu is not low enough, or some additional deadzone is present) and the lower sensitivity counter-compensates that to a certain degree. I only have the t3pa pedals where I do not have manual control of the deadzone.
    Can someone with a higher end gear confirm, that when all deadzones removed (wheel config and in game) there is no pedal travel before this jump occurs?
    The reason I want to differentiate between deadzone and sensitivity is that the original 50% value feels perfect for me when reaching rpms beyond that initial rev-jump.
    Thanks for the discussion, somehow it feels that figuring this out might have some potential towards an even better ams2 :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

the difference is quite big, low speed cornering and sharp turns, (anywhere basically where you take your foot off the gas and put it back on), the cars are less prone to spinning out anymore, also launching on several of the cars is better, no more spinout on launch or when changing up to second etc, "nbabysitting"the throttle is gone.
    only AMS2 requires me to change sensitivity down, the other games on default settings already have smooth throttle response without that "hump"

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Shorter answers
    I would use the word Correct sensitivity for a default.... but yes.
    Can be seen and heard audibly.

Adjusting deadzone tried several settings (this end) makes no difference to 'jump' (as in rpm jump) 'Hole' (as in hole left were engine retardation/braking has no effect or lag) so 'Jump hole'
    Whilst in TT last week it became clear set at 50 that if I lift foot physically off the pedal rather than light lift and remain foot on. I was faster.
    Long Answer

Throttle sensitivity "10" to "15"-ish seems fine on the standard potted CSL's...Good find this, I'm gonna test with a variety of cars that I suspect suffer from this initial on/off characteristic.Imagine something this basic being overlooked for so long... First time I'm giving it thought.And I was blaming boost settings and diff woes for the stabbyness on corner exit, and my foot too.The '74 rsr is way nicer and smoother now.I think if Reiza adjust the default setting to "25" instead of 50, a lot is gained.Of course there might be the odd car that, in fact, has a really binary initial throttle response, and TC-equipped cars can overcome this somewhat, although a good amount of progressiveness is always better imo.

Buy yeah, super-useful observation

MV

Forum

Maser V6 said:

not have it suddenly jump from 3000 rpm to 6ooo rpm as is the case with some/most cars default.

This is the crux of the issue.

its effect is stationary and importantly whilst driving
    @Split Secondwhen I wrote the above I edited out the fact the Effect is Audible Procar for instance set at 50 audibly, engine note has no smoothness when coming on/off throttle more on/off same as most. at 18 its audibly smoother, as Real as any real car.

re video, I may video later when I have time.

On the other hand the issue is so obvious with the setting at 50 and given that allyou have to do is sit in car and slowly rev the engine, or preferably drive it then reset I see little value and it would be frustrating to have to go this far.

Maser V6 said:

I reported/asked about this and showed real car video of idle (speed). Back in 2020 as it would of course effect transmission line/engine braking etc
    Combine the High idle speed of reported BT44 and its off throttle lag, I constantly referred to for most of its release time with the leap in uncontrollable in rpm (at default 50 sensitivity gas pedal)
    One could say "no wonder the car (and others) was difficult for so long and still is for some set at 50 for gas with the 'jump hole'

TekNeil said:

I mentioned the throttle issue not long after initial release but didn't get any response...
    That,s a shame though unsurprising.

DayrFile said:

sudden jump from idle to some higher revs (3000, 4000, depending on the car) which is not present in real live and also not in other simulators.
    Thanks for trying and reporting back

DayrFile said:

perfect for me when reaching rpms beyond that initial rev-jump.
    MV
    This I suspect same for every body regardless of pedal gear and resolution of load cell or potentiometer output. TBC

NOW CONFIRMED LOADCELL SAME ISSUE

As for deadzone I tried 50/09 /15 etc "jump hole" remains the same this end.

TRCB said:

difference is quite big, low speed cornering and sharp turns, (anywhere basically where you take your foot off the gas and put it back on),
    [​IMG]

MV
    Implications of this 'Jump Hole' on this Fundamentalcontrol, throttle in a driving Simis imo Obvious
    Not every user has ever thought they would need to change this. at 50 it should be progressive to match RL .
    with -50 less sensitive and +50 more sensitive

Another Forum

There is definately something wrong here and I am glad someone noticed it because after changing throttle sensitivity (Fanatec CSW) it eliminated the weird and sudden rear end kickout of the porsche rsr in very slow tight corners for me. Obviously I was probably just applying only slight throttle input without realising it and BAM, insta 4k revs and rear kickout.

Another PM

However even with the RSR I didn't find any difference in how the car drove or set lap times with 18% sensitivity versus 50%. My take was it gives you the ability to better modulate RPMs in neutral or for a standing start using the low end of the throttle range. However the range of throttle I'm using while lapping is almost always above that, and I end up with what feels like the same power delivery.
    Are you finding scenarios while lapping the RSR where 18% sensitivity is helping with corner entry or exit?

My take was it gives you the ability to better modulate RPMs in neutral or for a standing start using the low end of the throttle range. However the range of throttle I'm using while lapping is almost always above that, and I end up with what feels like the same power

MV PM

This is great ------------- and thanks for letting me know. Itis in fact another conformation of the ability as in rl to control rpm rather than have a jump .

almost always above that,

MV PM

This is also consistant with my findings and others feedback. My range is usually above also, same power is correct for all settings i've checked up to 90.(throttle sensitivity)

Are you finding scenarios while lapping the RSR where 18% sensitivity is helping with corner entry or exit?

MV PM

Yes most definate (and for others it seems) and in all cars, thanks to the ability to finely control the power oversteer. also when liftoff on approach the diff /engine brake reaction is smoother. I as in my usual video am quite aggressive its fun to me! now at 18 in same car I can be more subtle and less corrections. just as it should be imo.
    Great feedback thanks
    I have also a conformation of same effects with loadcell. which is good as it eliminates
    1 just pots effected
    are your loadcell?

Another/MV

Forum response to request for feedback

This thread read convinced me to test throttle (at least) and what a surprise, also found that hole/hump/drop under 4k rpm. Gradually decreasing sensitivity, showed a gradual decrease of that hole, till completely gone at 18 for the 911 RSR.
    Agree that it could be an issue or a characteristic. While we all are waiting for an official word, I'll stick with 18 sensitivity at lest for this Porsche.

Edit: After some tests, as someone said, I've also found all the cars showing the same pattern for the throttle map.
    Not a complete test but about 40 cars, being one car per class.
    Conclusion is (1) it is this way on purpose or (2) it is a fault.
    Another conclusion: I will stick to 18 sensitivity as default.

MV

just a thanks for post [​IMG] deserves a winner tick from me for sure. and for you taking the time to test as suggested, at least some are doing so. I need to pin down from feedback if its just potentiometer pedals effected, or pots and loadcell same jump or different level jump.
    I am refraining from replying on forum as of today hence PM .
    thanks again
    M v6
    no need to reply[​IMG]

Another

Thank you!
    You Sir deserve a good Thank You!

My Fanatec CSL w Load Cell were modded to a Hall Effect potentiometer (by Honeywell) at throttle.

Tests were at pits, stand still, no brake at all.

Another

Can confirm, that lowering sensitivity also cured some peculiarities for me. (Throttle/Brake/Clutch). (and i'm actually fine with 50 and still find it better at 35 now)

No idea if it is hardware, game, car, but it's IMO actually a good find!

Another

I'm following this interesting discussion since a few days and did myself a few tests.
    On my end I can confirm the sudden jump from idle to some higher revs (3000, 4000, depending on the car) which is not present in real live and also not in other simulators. Lowering the sensitivity as described above definitely helps to mitigate this. However, for me this feels like a strange dead-zone issue (like the 0 in the menu is not low enough, or some additional deadzone is present) and the lower sensitivity counter-compensates that to a certain degree. I only have the t3pa pedals where I do not have manual control of the deadzone.
    Can someone with a higher end gear confirm, that when all deadzones removed (wheel config and in game) there is no pedal travel before this jump occurs?
    The reason I want to differentiate between deadzone and sensitivity is that the original 50% value feels perfect for me when reaching rpms beyond that initial rev-jump.
    Thanks for the discussion, somehow it feels that figuring this out might have some potential towards an even better ams2 [​IMG]Another
    I tried with V3s to do rpm exercise and play with sensitivity between 50 and 30 and deadzone between 0 and 25. Cars were the BT26A and the new RSR.
    I can balance the rpm at sensitivity 50 at the cars minimum rpm +1k with no big effort. Below the +1k level I am struggling more but I can find a balance eventually.
    With sensitivity 30 I can do the exercise 100% and easily.
    I found that putting the deadzone to 0 helps the exercise of balancing with all sensitivities and with that value the rpms grow pretty much immediately.
    I noticed with sensitivity 50 that when I was finally balancing rpm below the min value +1k the needle was every second or so sort of quickly blinking up and down from the stable value before returning to it.
    To me, especially from this last observation, it overall feels like there is a sort of "lack of resolution" in the low inputs and different hardware is probably showing different magnitude of the problem, but it feels to me like a signal topic and not an actual engine map thing as I could find a balance even at extremely low rpms with a bit of patience and application.
    I can't add more than this…

Another.

Thanks Maser V6 and Ettore for testing the deadzone behavior as well. I think the V3s have quite some good potentiometers and a higher resolution than my hardware. This enables them to deliver a very dedicated (small) first bit in terms of signal amplitude.
    At this point with all the tests, suggestions and reports from the users it's time to ask the devs for their insight:
    - have a look at the overall discussion
    - please have a look at the 50% linear setting with regard to fuel flow (maybe there exists a reference car where model and real life is available to calibrate or confirm this)
    - please have also a brief look at the fuel flow amplitude at the very first bit the gas pedal delivers
    - keep up the good work in general

... I noticed with sensitivity 50 that when I was finally balancing rpm below the min value +1k the needle was every second or so sort of quickly blinking up and down from the stable value before returning to it.
    This exactly!
    And while reducing sensitivity that behavior turns more and more controlable

PS: Just to inform that I've changed the gas pot on my CSL - LC by Hall effect (Honeywell) pot.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

This is a very good take IMO. If a car goes from somewhat undrivable to drivable for many people by adjusting throttle sensitivity by a lot then it is an important default to review. The counter-argument is that sims are not designed to please those who have no patience to adapt. And that hopping between sims is like this: some have overly linear throttles, some don't simulate throttle maps, some have sensitive simulated throttles.

However: It has been somewhat proven (you gotta figure that when we talk about hardware, 100% proof needs a big sample size) to be impossible to control low end power application without doing a pretty big adjustment to the default throttle sensitivity. This doesn't seem right to me. I have never revved a race engine like these (lets not compare these to our typical road cars - which btw also sometimes have really sensitive throttles for other reasons), but lack of fine control in the low end would certainly be troublesome in practice for reasons multiple people have gone over here.

I trust Reiza to base these things around reality. Other sims can do whatever they think is best and people just have to adapt. But they may have overlooked something that causes this gap in practice.

I guess then it is surprising that there was indeed a response to the throttle map comment made right after release :p: Jul 31, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Why would anyone think that it would be normal not to be able to hold low revs on a racing engine? There is definately something wrong here and I am glad someone noticed it because after changing throttle sensitivity (Fanatec CSW) it eliminated the weird and sudden rear end kickout of the porsche rsr in very slow tight corners for me. Obviously I was probably just applying only slight throttle input without realising it and BAM, insta 4k revs and rear kickout.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Maser V6

Edited to include other cars.
    It was a further post By @TekNeil specifically, that prompted my 911 specific test, and other cars video, I could elaborate but simplified it with video, he and a few others had commented before, but no evidence was followed or produced that I could see. so here we are.:) All cars tested are same not just 911 as I have said in now (too) many post's
    Re 'sample size' more the merrier. yours/others at 50 hole or not? rig? simple
    With respect of course.
    It has nothing to do with patience, those that never thought it necessary to adjust such a setting to obtain a normal throttle have 'adapted' unknowingly, to a default error setting imo, and maybe also a myriad of posts, bug posts re handling etc as a result. Together with being 'patient' with Sim development. As we all have.:D
    Coffee time over.
    I'll leave it there for now. work to catch up on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. oez

Yeah that's exactly right. I didn't intend to say that everyone needs patience or that it helps with this exact issue. My post was a long winded way of saying that I suspect their intent was not rendered how they meant it, but it's extremely close. What they intended may still be much more sensitive and non-linear than other sims, but not this sensitive. So here we are adjusting from the default to get access to missing fine control :p.

I will try different sensitivities later today. From memory I used to use something like 35. Which underlines that I agree with what seems to be the consensus here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I half recall that default controller profile used to have brake and clutch at 35….? or was that project cars ?
    maybe my mind is playing tricks… because clutch is default 35.

9. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Thank you for the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Un related to above, thank you for that link in your signature, annoying to have to turn driver arms/wheel back on in my settings, to find out whether the SEQ was paddles or stick SEQ and what kind of wheel gets used. that kind of information should be in the summary screen of cars in game.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Defaults to my TM-TX are Acc=50, Bra=35, Clu=35 plus some deadzones I always zeroed.
    Usually I've changed only brakes to 50 (but don't know, had a "good" feeling too at 35).
    This thread read convinced me to test throttle (at least) and what a surprise, also found that hole/hump/drop under 4k rpm. Gradually decreasing sensitivity, showed a gradual decrease of that hole, till completely gone at 18 for the 911 RSR.
    Agree that it could be an issue or a characteristic. While we all are waiting for an official word, I'll stick with 18 sensitivity at lest for this Porsche.

Edit: After some tests, as someone said, I've also found all the cars showing the same pattern for the throttle map.
    Another conclusion: I will stick to 18 sensitivity as default.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Can confirm, that lowering sensitivity also cured some peculiarities for me. (Throttle/Brake/Clutch). (and i'm actually fine with 50 and still find it better at 35 now)

No idea if it is hardware, game, car, but it's IMO actually a good find!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried with V3s to do rpm exercise and play with sensitivity between 50 and 30 and deadzone between 0 and 25. Cars were the BT26A and the new RSR.
    I can balance the rpm at sensitivity 50 at the cars minimum rpm +1k with no big effort. Below the +1k level I am struggling more but I can find a balance eventually.
    I found that putting the deadzone to 0 helps the exercise of balancing with all sensitivities and with that value the rpms grow pretty much immediately.
    I noticed with sensitivity 50 that when I was finally balancing rpm below the min value +1k the needle was every second or so sort of quickly blinking up and down from the stable value before returning to it.
    To me, especially from this last observation, it overall feels like there is a sort of "lack of resolution" in the low inputs and different hardware is probably showing different magnitude of the problem, but it feels to me like a signal topic and not an actual engine map thing as I could find a balance even at extremely low rpms with a bit of patience and application.
    I can't add more than this...

• Like Like x 3
  14. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Thanks Maser V6 and Ettore for testing the deadzone behavior as well. I think the V3s have quite some good potentiometers and a higher resolution than my hardware. This enables them to deliver a very dedicated (small) first bit in terms of signal amplitude.
    At this point with all the tests, suggestions and reports from the users it's time to ask the devs for their insight:
    - please have a look at the 50% linear setting with regard to fuel flow* (maybe there exists a reference car where model and real life is available to calibrate or confirm this)
    - please have also a brief look at the fuel flow amplitude at the very first bit the gas pedal delivers
    - keep up the good work in general :)

* please note, linear in the sense "pedal movement in real race car corresponds as good as possible to pedal movement of the user".

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  15. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This exactly!

PS: Just to inform that I've changed the gas pot on my CSL - LC by Hall effect (Honeywell) pot.

16. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't understand the throttle sensitivity "problems"
    I don't experience any brake/clutch/throttle sensitivity problems.
    Are these throttle sensitivity settings about controlling the throttle while in Neutral?
    When lowering the sensitivity doesn't that result in a smaller throttle band in the higher revs?
    I never use the lower revs other then start rolling, and even in that situation I use the clutch to keep the revs at a certain level and use to avoid chocking the engine.
    I have the idea that lowering the sensitivity is used as another driving assist.

17. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem is that - with throttle sensitivity at 50 - if only little throttle is applied the revs go up to high values immediately. I compared this behaviour with ACC's, R3E's and AC's throttle input. In these sims I can hold revs at e.g. 1000, 2000 and 3000 rpm. In AMS 2 I can't do that because the revs are already very high with very little throttle input. For the record: I don't use any deadzones and my pedals are calibrated correctly.

"When lowering the sensitivity doesn't that result in a smaller throttle band in the higher revs?"
    Yes. That's the major problem with this "workaround".

"I never use the lower revs other then start rolling..."
    It's also hard to control the cars during cornering bacause if you only want to apply a little bit of throttle to balance the car the revs go too high and you get wheel spin. Subsequently, you have to release the throttle to avoid losing traction and you lose time.

"I have the idea that lowering the sensitivity is used as another driving assist."
    I don't think so because as you said: You lose "throttle bandwidth" in the higher revs.
    ATM it's just a workaround until Reiza will have had a look upon this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Maser V6

Hi Saxo.
    Its a rather simple test of a baseline (default) setting

1. Pick any car. (I have not tried trucks or carts)
    2. From pit or on track in neutral. select options and set throttle sensitivity to 50 which is ams2 baseline (default)
    3 .Slowly increase rpm and obtain a smooth increase with natural progression. as in rl.
    4 Observe with very fine throttle adjustment rpm. in car gauge only and ears.
    disregard all hud/other displays inc throttle bar. throttle bar is deadzone dependant for activation
    5 Does the rpm leap from idle or give smooth progression
    6 If a leap of rpm occurs (you could make a note of jump hole (leap) for data collection purposes)
    7. If a jump in rpm occured return to settings and try 30-35. repeat test. note any 'jump hole range'
    8 For high output engines if a jump occurred in 5 then return to settings and set to 18 repeat test.
    note jump hole range.
    9 return your settings to your original.

report back with
    car/cars used
    pedal used. to determine if pots and cells have same /similar 'jump hole'

MV

Forum

Maser V6 said:

not have it suddenly jump from 3000 rpm to 6ooo rpm as is the case with some/most cars default.

This is the crux of the issue.

its effect is stationary and importantly whilst driving

@Split Secondwhen I wrote the above I edited out the fact the Effect is Audible Procar for instance set at 50 audibly, engine note has no smoothness when coming on/off throttle more on/off same as most. at 18 its audibly smoother, as Real as any real car.

re video, I may video later when I have time.

On the other hand the issue is so obvious with the setting at 50 and given that allyou have to do is sit in car and slowly rev the engine, or preferably drive it then reset I see little value and it would be frustrating to have to go this far.

Maser V6 said:

I reported/asked about this and showed real car video of idle (speed). Back in 2020 as it would of course effect transmission line/engine braking etc
    Combine the High idle speed of reported BT44 and its off throttle lag, I constantly referred to for most of its release time with the leap in uncontrollable in rpm (at default 50 sensitivity gas pedal)
    One could say "no wonder the car (and others) was difficult for so long and still is for some set at 50 for gas with the 'jump hole'

TekNeil said:

I mentioned the throttle issue not long after initial release but didn't get any response...
    That,s a shame though unsurprising.

DayrFile said:

sudden jump from idle to some higher revs (3000, 4000, depending on the car) which is not present in real live and also not in other simulators.
    Thanks for trying and reporting back

DayrFile said:

perfect for me when reaching rpms beyond that initial rev-jump.
    MV

This I suspect same for every body regardless of pedal gear and resolution of load cell or potentiometer output. TBC

NOW CONFIRMED LOADCELL SAME ISSUE

As for deadzone I tried 50/09 /15 etc "jump hole" remains the same this end.

TRCB said:

difference is quite big, low speed cornering and sharp turns, (anywhere basically where you take your foot off the gas and put it back on),
    [​IMG]

MV
    Implications of this 'Jump Hole' on this Fundamentalcontrol, throttle in a driving Simis imo ObviousNot every user has ever thought they would need to change this. at 50 it should be progressive to match RL .
    with -50 less sensitive and +50 more sensitive

Another Forum

There is definately something wrong here and I am glad someone noticed it because after changing throttle sensitivity (Fanatec CSW) it eliminated the weird and sudden rear end kickout of the porsche rsr in very slow tight corners for me. Obviously I was probably just applying only slight throttle input without realising it and BAM, insta 4k revs and rear kickout.

Another PM

However even with the RSR I didn't find any difference in how the car drove or set lap times with 18% sensitivity versus 50%. My take was it gives you the ability to better modulate RPMs in neutral or for a standing start using the low end of the throttle range. However the range of throttle I'm using while lapping is almost always above that, and I end up with what feels like the same power delivery.

MV PM

This is great ------------- and thanks for letting me know. Itis in fact another conformation of the ability as in rl to control rpm rather than have a jump .

almost always above that,

MV PM

This is also consistant with my findings and others feedback. My range is usually above also, same power is correct for all settings i've checked up to 90.(throttle sensitivity)

MV PM

Yes most definate (and for others it seems) and in all cars, thanks to the ability to finely control the power oversteer. also when liftoff on approach the diff /engine brake reaction is smoother. I as in my usual video am quite aggressive its fun to me! now at 18 in same car I can be more subtle and less corrections. just as it should be imo.
    Great feedback thanks
    I have also a conformation of same effects with loadcell. which is good as it eliminates
    1 just pots effected
    are your loadcell?

Another/MV

Forum response to request for feedback

Another conclusion: I will stick to 18 sensitivity as defau
    lt.

MV

just a thanks for post [​IMG] deserves a winner tick from me for sure. and for you taking the time to test as suggested, at least some are doing so. I need to pin down from feedback if its just potentiometer pedals effected, or pots and loadcell same jump or different level jump.

thanks again
    M v6
    no need to reply[​IMG]

Another

Thank you!
    You Sir deserve a good Thank You!

My Fanatec CSL w Load Cell were modded to a Hall Effect potentiometer (by Honeywell) at throttle.

Tests were at pits, stand still, no brake at all.

Another

Another

Thanks for the discussion, somehow it feels that figuring this out might have some potential towards an even better ams2 [​IMG]Another
    I can't add more than this…

Another.

-
    - keep up the good work in general

... I noticed with sensitivity 50 that when I was finally balancing rpm below the min value +1k the needle was every second or so sort of quickly blinking up and down from the stable value before returning to it.

This exactly!

/SPOILER]

• Like Like x 1
  19. oez

In theory yes. However there isn't that much difference to be had with 50% and 100% throttle, you don't need as many steps there as you need very low in the scale. I'm just throwing an idea out there with example values that's definitely not a statement of how it actually works in AMS2 with real hardware. Also needs to be said that this doesn't effect cars with more relaxed (modern) throttle maps.

Just a few cars where I've noticed a slight lack of fine control with low throttle:
    • McLaren F1 LT
    • Chevrolet Omega
    • RSR 3.0
    This isn't only about revving in neutral either. From the throttle map's point of view, at low and mid range revs you don't need much throttle opening at all in some cars to achieve a good chunk of the torque available. You could even say that you only need 15% to get the rear step out in 1st or 2nd gear, cause effective wheel torque is already so massive. Once revs rise high the engine runs out of air and you need to open the throttle more. Here's where you have plenty of resolution available it seems. But you can't and will not always be at high revs in practice.

The other part of the problem is how maintenance throttle in 1st gear and 2nd gear can be a real on/off struggle, cause imagine trying to find that one step that works within a degree of pedal position. This is where you end up waffling between power understeer and liftoff oversteer. Or coast and power ramps if you're concerned with differential function.

Lets assume that your pedal has 256 steps from 0 to 100. I think this is even true for typical pedals that aren't separate premium pedals.

The 15% mentioned is only the 38 first steps in our throttle pedal. Probably not too bad still. However the problem seems to be that there are even less effective steps in the 0-10% range which can still make a difference in hairpins with aggressive throttle maps. Or maybe the default 50 sensitivity is actually pretty focused on the latter end of the curve which would give us even less than 38 steps, who knows. This would really go against the fact that throttles and throttle control is often really focused on initial opening in practice.

This phenomenon does also exist with my CSP V3s which should have more resolution than that. Maybe there is something funny in the way signal gets processed and I hope Reiza looks at it.

20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup, can also confirm the sudden jump of signal, when overcoming a certain little amount of pedal travel.

Universally for all cars, also Lotus 23.

The lower sensitivity will mitigate the initial jump in signal.