Rain and loss of grip when using slicks

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Cornflex, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Cornflex

Cornflex New Member

When it starts to rain, the track gets wet too quickly and slicks lose their grip too fast. Often I don't even manage to finish the current lap and reach the pits. Apparently this doesn't apply to AI.
    Would be cool if the loss of grip can be slowed down a little in wet conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Do you use scaled weather? Because one weather slot is one hour, if you i.e. scale it to 30minutes, then you will get 1 hour of rainfall in 30minutes.
    Scaling is applied automatically if you use real weather. So if you use, i.e. 4x time acceleration with real weather, then you get 1 hour of rainfall in 15minutes....

Without acceleration the progression feels good imho, and I was able to have 30 minute races on slicks in light rain.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Cornflex

Cornflex New Member

Thank you for your answer.
    Weather and time can be scaled separately. Let's say I want to use 30 minutes each for qualifying and race. How can I ensure that I get changing weather without the track condition changing too quickly?
    From what I understand, I can scale the weather over the duration of the session, or I can let the weather run in real time but scale the time to double speed. Is the result identical?

Regards.

4. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

It shouldn't be identical. If you keep weather realtime, then one slot is one hour. The issue is that if you're running an one hour race, you will only experience that one weather slot (even if you would set multiple slots in the session setup).

This is one of the issues I have with AMS 2 (and project cars 2) weather engine, is that you cannot really do, let's say, 15minutes of light rain (of realtime).
    The only thing you can do is 1 hour of light rain scaled to 15minutes. But you still get one hour of rainfall. You cannot do a 30minute race with change-able weather, that is not scaled.

I really hope this is something reiza can change in the future, and decouple the weather slot duration from the rainfall volume.

• Like Like x 1