request: expose AI difficulty settings in user XML

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by piggly, Dec 29, 2022.

1. piggly

piggly New Member

A recent thread on reddit got me curious to see how things were still being done in Madness engine.

Am I the only one that finds AI in Qualifying super difficult but in race manageable?

I've enjoyed what I've played in AMS2 but I have to say some of the AI is a bit all over the place, and could probably use a lot of tweaking. There are some cars and tracks that work great and some where their performance seems inconsistent, depending on the kind of racing and classes on offer, with a common sight being a 3-4 car track piled up behind a slow car locked together. Or: cars that perform great in qualifying and then die on the track in the actual race, which can really get annoying if you've worked hard to get a decent combo of cars and skill level and got pole.

Anyway, looking through the executable in a hex editor we see some familiar settings to anyone who has played with modding Need for Speed Shift or the GMotor games SMS/Simbin/Reiza worked on previously:

Adjust AI RaceAbility
    Adjust AI QualifyAbility
    Adjust AI Defending
    Adjust AI Passing
    Adjust AI Overall Aggression
    Adjust AI Overall Difficulty
    Adjust AI Intelligence
    Adjust AI Start Reactions
    Adjust AI Risk Taking
    Adjust AI Stamina
    Adjust AI Aggression
    Gameplay Adjust Opponent Difficulty

most with a min/max range selectable. The ones I'd really be interested in are QualifyAbility, Passing and Defending, though the others would be neat to play with also.

I'm not asking for something as huge as making a menu system for these parameters in the game, but, is it possible to expose these settings to modification in a user .xml file in \Documents\Automobilista 2 ?

AI difficulty in general seems to be the kind of thing where different users prioritise different things from the game, and there may simply be no real way of keeping everyone happy with a common set of parameters. If they're moddable I think it could also provide the devs much more detailed feedback on what's working for what class and tracks and why.

2. gian

gian Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Right now you can do that on a per-driver basis following this guide: Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2 V1.3

• Winner Winner x 1