Slight VR problem for this game, others not?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Interceptor, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Hi guys,

Well, the titel is not completely true: this game and PC 2.
    This problem is the stutter that appears about two times a lap more or less.
    Only in VR and in "FPS-VR" I can see a purple high note in the left graphic for the GPU.
    There is a bit stutter and "missed frames" ads one.

This problem is not present in other games as F1 22 or ACC.
    So now I'm looking for differences and similarities on them, trying to figure out why this happens.

The GPU and CPU usage are low (GPU around 70% and CPU 30-50%) and both are lower than on the F1 and ACC games. Could that be a reason? To "easy"?

I'm really no expert on VR, don't have it all that long and I have no clue as where to begin.
    Can someone help me out a bit?
    Thanks in advance guys!

Ow, system specs! May be handy, right?

Intel Core i5 11400F 2.6 – 4.4 Ghz 6-core 12 threads
    Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10Gb Rev 1
    MSI Mag B560 Torpedo ATX Gen 2
    Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 Gb 3600 Mhz CL18
    WD Blue SN570 NVMe M.2 1Tb PCIe 3.0 x4
    CM MWE 850 Gold V2
    Corsair iCUE H60i RGB PRO XT
    Sharkoon TG5 case

• Like Like x 1
  2. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Sorry, wrong subforum......
    Should be in AM 2.

3. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

If those around two stutters per lap always happen at the same corners (for example Druids and Lodge Corner on Oulton Park and Rivazza on Imola):

I've had this exact issue since early access on two completely different PCs (PC1: Win10 Ryzen 1600x, 16 GB, GTX 1070, Oculus Rift CV1, PC2: Win11 Ryzen 3600x, 32 GB, RTX 2080, Oculus Rift S/Valve Index).

Never found out what's causing it or what can be done to fix it. It's completely indepentent from CPU/GPU load, doesn't matter what graphics settings, whether i'm alone on the track etc.). And it doesn't happen on all tracks, just on around 50% of the tracks in the game. Some big ones, like Nürburgring Nordschleife for example, run perfectly smooth.

Wish i could help here. Just hope anyone here has an idea how to fix it or at least what's causing it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackScorpion

BlackScorpion New Member

no stutters at all.... 81-90 fps all the time, fluid

5. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've had this issue with Madness Engine in VR since PCARS1, with PCARS2 and now with AMS2. Plenty of different gear during the years, motherboards, CPUs and four different VR headsets.
    I think it is an inherent problem in the engine. Or something like a badly optimized common 3D object that gets streamed and causes a hiccup.

Happens only on some tracks but always at the same spot. Watkins Glen and Long Beach are particularly bad at this.

I was actually able to replicate one of these spots at the Oulton Park main straight just before the finish line. Just sitting there and turning my head in VR from left to right, and I got that purple spike every time I turned my head to the right past a certain point.

It is easier to spot these when you are in the turn than at the straight line. On some of the tracks that have the issue it may help to switch the track details between low-medium-high-ultra as objects get streamed at different points. Ultra can be better than high for instance because this issue is not caused by too high details to begin with. But then you may get the issue on other tracks where you didn't see them before.

Best fix for this is to set motion smoothing permanently on, as the GPU seems to be able to extrapolate the missing frames (so the halt is not system wide, just CPU, or something in the rendering line before the motion smoothing logic). But clearly it could be coded away if someone actually put time to study the main cause of the issue.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. think

think New Member AMS2 Club Member

I had the same problem. It was gone after upgrading my cpu. Try to lower cpu load. Try to disable shadows or particles. Or get a faster cpu.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

What CPU are you using? Old my old system (Ryzen 1600x) it was exactly the same as on my current system (Ryzen 3600x). Thinking of buying a Ryzen 5800x3d soon. Hope that'll help a bit. Disabling shadows or particles (or any other graphical details) didn't do anything for me.

8. Carlton Small

Carlton Small New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a 13900k and a 4090 graphics card and I get this same problem. I know its not the cpu at all, i will try the settings suggested though

• Like Like x 1
  9. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Same with a 12600k @5.1ghz and a 4090 as well

• Like Like x 1