Thinking of buying a HP Reverb G2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Mar 6, 2023.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Can anyone share there thoughts on it please?
    Ive only owned a CV1 and my at the time GPU (1080Ti) wasn't enough to enjoy it, now with the 3080 will i have enough power to run current Sims in VR comfortably and is the image quality a proper step up compared to the old CV1?

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

If I had the money to buy a new PC and A new VR set, I would definitely do it. Racing in VR is that much better as we all know. But I still have to do it with a GTX 1080 TI card and my oculus rift is EOL… as said, I would go for it. :D

3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have experience with the CV1, but I've been using an HP Reverb G2 up until I switched to using a Pimax headset. I think a 3080 should be more than enough - I used the Reverb G2 together with an RTX 2070 and performance was smooth, although I admit that I don't bother running max graphics settings (framerate is of utmost importance for me with regards to reducing risk of motion sickness).

Keep in mind that Microsoft will likely not provide any more bugfixes to the Windows Mixed Reality ecosystem, since their entire XR department went belly-up a few months ago. But as it stands currently, the Reverb G2 is still a good cheap VR headset for sim racing, with perhaps the Pico Neo 4 being its toughest competitor in that price segment.

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Do it only for AMS 2 and Paradise VR, hehe. Oh and Alyx + HL2 VR mods

• Like Like x 2
  5. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ve been using the original G2 (not the updated version) for a few years now on my current system (details below) alongside the OpenXR toolkit thing. With a 3080 I’d imagine you should be able to enjoy a very good experience in all but the nastiest rain and night settings. Although unplayable without OpenXR it’s ‘playable’ for me using the toolkit for night and rainy races - but what’s playable for some is unplayable for others, hopefully the 3080 pushes the envelope for you enough with the help of the toolkit.

Fiddling around with the OpenXR toolkit is well worth the time to get the best experience you can. I’m hoping to upgrade to a i9 13900k and 4090 this month but will still download the toolkit so I can get 90fps even in the worst conditions.

I came from the old Samsung Odyssey with OLED screens and was initially disappointed with the colours but soon got used to it and never think about it now. The sweet spot is narrow, as everyone says, but once you get used to where the HMD needs to sit on your face it’s superb. I replaced the face gasket with one that places my eyes closer to the screens which helps increase the FOV too.

AMS2 is superb in VR and I’m not looking forward to the day I have to replace my G2 with something new. It just works extremely well.

6. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I run the G2 with a 3080 and it works well. I've set the graphics so that I get about 180-200fps in 2D mode, and that translates to a nice steady 90fps in VR. I don't tend to bother with night time rainy races though, I just prefer to race in daylight with decent weather. It's a good combination though, and something like the Caterham Superlight at Dawn on the Nordschleife is one of the most satisfying things you can do in a race sim. The sound from the built in headphones is decent too.
    It's a clear step up from CV1 - those coloured blobs in the distance, turns out they are other cars :)
    For the price I think it's the best VR option out there at the moment.

7. 2ndLastJedi

Can you share your settings please? Im getting like 12ms and constant stutter!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Will do, been busy this week it might be the weekend before I get any playtime on the PC :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. 2ndLastJedi

I followed these settings, but I don't like SMAA so have had to lower resolution a little to allow for MSAA medium. Apart from that it was a big help, thanks.

Looks pretty darn great. So happy in VR again now. Also knowing I have a good HMD for future when I upgrade my GPU to say a 5080 or something I can then run even higher resolution.

So crazy how running higher than native really improves clarity.

• Like Like x 3
  11. blanes

blanes Member

Really loved the G2 after using a cv1 then Rift S. Using a Pimax 8KX now and the Reverb G2 was my backup until sold couple weeks ago. Still my 2nd favorite of all headsets owned. Great choice for racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

G2 brilliant especially with open xr .Just don't run the resolution too high I use 70% resolution and it looks great with a locked 90fps on a 3080 .Too many people run full or too high resolution then complain about a bad vr experience.