Triple Screen Setup

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Harry H, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been putting up with less than perfect alignment of my triple screens in AMS2 for a long time. The only other racing sims I spend any time in these days are iRacing and AC, both of which were better aligned. Finally I decided to do something about it. What I've ended up with is almost magical...!

Firstly, I've never liked using Nvidia Surround and I was never able to get AMS2 looking very good with it anyhow, so I found out how to set up triples without it. Unfortunately, despite making meticulous measurements of my screens, angles and seating position, I could never quite get it to look exactly right in AMS2. Then I found a video by Dave Cam where he suggested a process of tweaking values until things 'looked right'. That helped me improve things a bit, but still not to where I felt totally comfortable.

Then, for some reason, I thought back to a post from Tarmac Terrorist about using Nvidia's Image scaling to get better frame rates with AMS2, so I started experimenting.... and I've somehow managed to reach near perfection! I now have perfectly aligned triple screens, maxed out graphics settings and frame rate to spare, all without using NV Surround. I've also managed to create a really natural profile for my Track-IR, so I have pseudo-VR as well. I decided to go even further. After much futzing around, I've managed to get all of the above working with both iRacing and AC as well.

AMS 2 Triple Screen, NV Surround OFF, NV Upscaling from 1969 x 1108 to 2560 x 1440 x 3.

STEP 1 - Carefully and accurately, measure your screen size. I have three matching 27" monitors. I don't know how well mismatched monitors will work. The best video I've found that covers this process, which includes a neat trick for calculating the side screen angles from forward, is this one from Dan Suzuki (start around 3.14 in.....
    ).

The only thing I would add, is when measuring the height of your monitors, make sure to exclude both the top and bottom bezels, i.e. only measure the viewable screen height. Also, do make sure to calculate the FOV using his website link. Select triples, NOT single screen (I've seen other people say to use the single screen reading). Apply the FOV to the helmet and cockpit views in AMS 2.

STEP 2 - Enter your measurements into the AMS 2 Triple Screen settings. If your side monitors look too tight or pinched in, try entering side angles slightly less than the actual angles you measured (e.g. 35 instead of 40). Close AMS 2 when done.

STEP 3 - Enable Image Scaling in the Nvidia Control Panel specifically for the AMS2 exe. Set sharpness to zero. Your scaling choices will depend on how big your monitors are and whether they are 1080p or 1440p. For my 27" 1440p monitors I ended up using 77% scaling (1969 x 1108), as it gave me the best balance of quality and framerate.

STEP 4 - Restart and go back into AMS 2. Check the triple screen menu. Your monitor resolutions should have changed to show the new scaled pixel counts. Go to the Performance page. At the top, scroll through all the resolutions until you find one that has the triple screen measurement of the upscaled numbers. In my case it's 5907 x 1108.

STEP 5 - Raise your detail levels until you start hitting frame rate issues. In my rig my RTX 2080 and i5 processor seem fine with everything maxed out. Triples are nicely aligned and image looks great!

STEP 6 (optional) - I find that AMS 2 suffers somewhat from aliasing issues, especially in sunny weather. Upscaling doesn't make this any better(!). One thing you can try is to download the Nvidia Profile Inspector app
    Releases ยท Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector
    Choose the AMS 2 preset in the Inspector app and turn on the DX1x antialiasing preset for Bioshock. Also turn on the "antialiasing fix". Save the settings. This combo works really well for me and makes the game look much better.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Please do if you have time to. I'm quite content with my settings, but making things better is always something I like doing.

3. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First post updated.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1