Turbo settings for race setup - your strategy?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by herakles, Aug 13, 2023.

1. herakles

herakles Member

Hey guys!

I am currently running with the Formula USA Gen. 1 at the Daytona Tri Oval. I observe mechanical failure within the engine going up almost 1% every three laps if I have turbo set to 100% and air intake set to 10. I went down to 55% turbo and 10 intake in order to avoid damage at the engine (at least after 6 laps of testing, the engine-value is still showing "0").

What are your strategies while racing on an oval when driving cars with turbo? Do you rather set turbo high and then have it repaired somewhat later in the race? Do you set turbo as low as it needs to be in order to avoid even small damage?

To me, the question would be: What is faster in the end? Will I make it to the front if I'm faster but have to go to the pits somewhen? Or will I be faster while avoiding some additional seconds in the pits?

Or even - do I ever need to have the engine repaired in the pits or can I go until the end even with a slightly damaged engine and therefore go with a higher turbo?

Let me know your thoughts on this rather strategical question.

Herakles

2. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Is turbo damage even fixable on the fly? IRL not posssible, so i would say if your turbo has blown you have to say Good Bye to the race....
    The best would be to try it out. Would be interrested in the result too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. herakles

herakles Member

ok, but how to determine, whether it's turbo or general engine failure?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  4. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would imagine you would need your Radiator open way more than 10% for a race.
    That might be possible to run for a really short qualy run. But i would be running at least 70% or so in a race.
    (subject to testing which i have not done)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

AFAIK it tells you it you blow your turbo or your engine, at least if you run with some kind of HUD.

6. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I concur. Although it’s sac religious to run any current or past INDYCAR at Daytona. With that said, yes, race at openings 65-70%. Closest research would look at Michigan. The cars were going so fast the drivers pulling so many G’s they were on the verge of blacking out, many very dizzy. Good luck