Unoffical fanatec 8nm power supply?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Curtis, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

I've got a Fanatec CSL DD wheel but I've only got the 5nm power supply. The official 180w power supply for 8nm is £150 but you can buy unoffical 180w power supplies for half this price. I've heard some people say they could harm your wheelbase if they are cheap/faulty.
    Have any of you guys tried the half-price 180w power supply and what are your thoughts on them?
    Thanks.

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

If you wanna gamble then go for the cheap way. Personally I won’t do it but it is your money, your decision. Why risk an expensive wheelbase for a bit cheaper power supply?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I DIY'd my own using a 200w Meanwell led outdoor power supply for 40 euro and a atx 4pin power cable from an old PSU. I have been using this for over a year. Zero issues.

I would rather do it myself for less using known good components rather than a random cheaper, but still overpriced PSU online. But, if you are risk adverse and want that warranty peace of mind you really should just buy it from fanatec instead. Which I actually hate to say because the price they're charging for what it is is so outside the realm of reasonable its actually kind of disgusting.

4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

That is something I agree indeed. The price is really not from this planet.
    Or he can wait a year. When the warranty is over, then buy a cheaper one.

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

My 5 cent to this is that if the cheap one does function properly and has a stable voltage then no probl.
    But if the cheap one is so lousy that that it quickly begin to malfunction then you are gambling with the wheel.

6. Andrew Curtis

I'm not very knowledgable with electronics so I have two questions.
    You say you used a 200w power supply but the 8nm wheel is 180w, do you do anything about to 20w difference or is it irrelevant?
    Also can you link to the exact power cable I'd need?
    Thanks.

7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

AFAIK PSUs have controller on them which makes it so they only give the right amount for the device. I can charge my IPad Pro, which AFAIK can only handle 20W, with a 180W PSU without anything blowing up

8. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So I'm by no means an electrical engineer either but, I know enough to feel confident and more importantly safe to tackle a minor project like this.

However I don't feel comfortable advising others on the specifics. Suffice it to say that there are a number of guides/tutorials outline the process.

9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

I have been using a DIY power supply to feed my CSL DD, no issue whatsoever, just be careful when you create the plug to the wheel, if you have to, that you respect the 8nm plug config, as this how the base knows what mode to go into. You can see the diagram on the back of this PS.
    [​IMG]

Any W difference is irrelevant, as long as it over 180W, the wheel base motor will only use what it needs.

10. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It could even be helpful to be a little bit over because it leaves more headroom. That could extend the life of the PSU, especially if it's of a less robust design.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andrew Curtis

I ended up buying the official power pack, didn't want to risk my DD wheel base.

12. Cermo

Cermo New Member

I use unofficial 180W power supply from Aliexpress, and it is working for almost year without issues.

13. Jimbodub

Jimbodub New Member

My power supply molex connector got ripped out and I am trying to just replace the molex connector but I do not know what color wires go where. Wires are Black Blue White Red. I am hoping someone can direct me to a way to test the wires or which wires go where on the molex connector 1,2,3,4

14. Jimbodub

Jimbodub New Member

Here is the image

Attached Files:

15. Racinglegend1234

As an avid fan of Electroboom, I say consult an expert and see if you can seek help locally

16. Racinglegend1234

Someone got hacked

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jox05

Jox05 New Member

I’ve used an unofficial 180w power supply for about 6 months now. So far, no issues at all. It's a lot cheaper, and the performance has been solid.