Very basic (I think...) modding question

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Modding' started by Clubracer99, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Clubracer99

Clubracer99 New Member

I want to do what would seem to be a very simple mod but there is so much conflicting information around I'm getting myself tied up in knots.

All I want to do is to change the gearbox type on the BMW Mini from sequential to H pattern so I can use my manual H pattern shifter without AMS2 constantly not recognising the shift.

I only use sims in practise mode before going to a track irl to re-familiarise myself with it and the mini is the closest thing being FWD and RHD to the cars I drive other than the gearbox.

Can anyone either give me up to date instructions on how to do it or point me to a video/tutorial that reflects the latest version of the program?

Thanks in advance.

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

@jusk can help, but wouldn’t it be better to turn on auto clutch?

3. Clubracer99

Clubracer99 New Member

I want to use the clutch though. The cars that have manual H pattern shifters work perfectly with my setup but they are either rwd, lhd or just not powerful enough to work for my purposes.

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

C
    Can’t you drive old F1 cars or group C?

5. Clubracer99

Clubracer99 New Member

Not really. Doesn't work for my purposes. At the very least it has to be a right hand drive tin top to get the right positioning on the track. Front wheel drive with H pattern is better. Guess I'll just have to stick with the sequential. It's a car type that all sims never really seem to cater for. Endless rwd monsters or road cars but very little like the average club racer drives in the UK.

6. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What you want to do would be a relatively straightforward mod I would suggest, but the process of modding a car in any way for AMS2 is not really what I would call basic at all - there are a lot of steps, very little documentation, and afaik no tutorials at all specific to AMS2. Most of the relevant information you can find relates to PCars2 modding, and is somewhat dated and/or an incomplete guide in the AMS2 context.

Not trying to put you off it - but it's a fiddly business o_O

• Like Like x 1
  7. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

In adding to jusk's answer, I'll write what I understand it is the path.

First you should clone your car, i.e. build a "mod" as a clone of the already existing content you want to modify. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U745zXnNEo8 you can find how that is done in PC2, but the process is similar in AMS2.

Then, you can tweak your files. Here: AMS2 modding docs there is some documentation of how to do it. It should be possible to use pieces from other mods or cloned cars, even replacing and renaming full hex files.

Honestly what you want to do sounds like "AMS modding 101" or "Your first mod in AMS2". It would be nice if someone does a tutorial with the process at some point. I'm not yet fluid enough in that matters.

• Agree Agree x 3