VR - cannot get AMS 2 to look good.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ayrton2388, Jul 10, 2023.

1. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey all,

I recently borrowed an Oculus Quest 2 for a few weeks, and i was eager as hell to try out AMS 2 in VR.
    The problem is i cannot get the game to look decent. The area around the car looks good, and i was impressed a.f., but in the distance, starting around 100 meters or so, it looks really pixelated. Not blurry, but noisy and pixelated. I spent like 2 days trying almost everything, and i still can't get rid of that pixelation.
    I tried low and high res textures, FXAA, SMAA, i tried 150% resolution in Oculus software or SteamVR, still the same.

I do have an older GPU, a NVidia GTX 1660 OC, and a AMD 5800x3D CPU. But i don't care about performance atm, i just want to see if i can get the game to look decent, to see if it's worth investing in a new GPU.

Any idea about what's going on? Is is supposed to look like this? what settings are you guys using, to have it look decent?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MonkeyJug

MonkeyJug New Member

Have a look at some videos on YouTube. There are loads that claim to improve the visuals. I'm personally on a G2 with OpenComposite and OpenXR and it looks stunning.

3. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Try the following:

- Set antialising in game to MSAA medium
    - In the Oculus PC sofware, set refresh rate to 80 fps and put resolution to the max for that refresh rate (I don't remember the exact multiplier value, but resolution would be 5xxx by 3xxx if I'm not mistaken)
    - In Oculus Debug Tool (ODT in short): Set HFov and VFov to 0.85 both, link sharpening to "On" or "Normal" depending your installed version, Dynamic bitrate at 0, resolution encoding 3664 and bitrate 450.

To set those values in ODT, first start the Oculus PC software and start Link on the headset, then open ODT and set the values BEFORE starting the game.

I don't know if those settings are too much for that card, you will have to test and try lowering HFov and VFov even further to gain performance headroom. You can lower those values until you can see the "hard" edges at the sides, or top and bottom of the screen. In my case I can lower both of them down to 0.75 without any perceived side effects, but I'm using an aftermarket face plate that put my eyes a little more far away than the standard one, so I have an effective lower physical fov.

Those settings are for cable link. If you want to use it wireless, set bitrate to 200 or lower depending on your WiFi router quality and speeds.

Hope it helps. Any question or doubt, you are welcome to ask.

Cheers.

• Useful Useful x 2