VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Jason Bradshaw

Jason Bradshaw Member

Hey, I have a 4090/5900x combo so not exactly the same, however i found that if you set the link sharpening to normal that stops alot of the stutters...I'd give that a go..i also set my quest 3 to one notch below the max on resolution and run it at 80hz just to get a bit more headroom...give that a try...i know its not an exact science but it may help

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

T
    thank you very much

I found out that the max bitrate was the culprit

Reducing from 960 to 700mbps fixed the artifact issue

I am told meta locked the bitrate to 500 but I like the picture better at 700
    Less blocky it feels but maybe a placebo due to my middle aged man eyes lol

you have to love VR in this Game really great showcase for Simracing

• Like Like x 4
  3. Andy Reader

Andy Reader Member

what do you think to this old footage look?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Would be even more awesome with the helmet cam overlay imo :)
    Helmet Camera Overlay

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gregkar

Gregkar New Member

can someone please help me a bit with graphics settings? i have spent a whole day and i am not very happy.
    I recently discovered AMS2 and i fell in love, after being 13 years non stop only in iracing i felt like i re-discovered simracing again (not talking about multiplayer though). Still a few things pisses me off like the absence off flashing lights, max 31 car grid, LMDH cars seting are basic etc.. but hopefully they will change in the future.

Now to the point, my system is i7-12700k RTX4070ti 32gb ram, reverb G2 and i keep reading how good is ams2 in vr, and it is good it is amazing but only when i race in an empty time trial or test session, when i load up le mans track with 31 car grid and rain at night, fps goes to sh@t (which is normal).
    i am using open xr with openxr toolkit and i have to decrease g2 resolution to 2600x2600 among many other openxr toolkit settings, and almost all settings to low (anisotropic 16x, msaa off, smaa medium, medium car detail, high textures) in order to keep up with 90fs. visual settings (post processing filters etc..) are all to full though.

with this settings i can't say ams2 looks good at all.
    am i setting it up the wrong way? shouldn't i set up the graphics with the most heavy scenario in mind?
    should i use msaa instead of smaa? should i turn visual setting all off?

6. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

After I see how ETS 2 in VR got better with implementation of TAA, I crave this for AMS2 as well. It's day and night. I hope it gets implemented one day for AMS2.

7. LostPatrol

LostPatrol New Member

I’d set it up for the scenarios you most often use.

If you start a race with a full grid at LeMans at night in the rain its going to chug. However if you start in the afternoon run accelerated time and have a day night transition you will get better performance as the cars will have spread out. You can add some rain in mid race.
    I’ve got a 4080 super and a 5800 x3d using a Quest 3, I think you’re still going have to adapt settings if you want run the toughest scenarios but unless at night in the rain is all you want to do I’d set it up to be optimal for mid afternoon clear conditions and then tweak if I want to run a more demanding scenario. I just wouldn’t do races that start at night with rain, have those things happen when the field spreads out.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

In addition to this, and regarding in game settings, MSAA is mandatory if you want crystal clear graphics on VR, so set MSAA first and then the rest of the settings accordingly.

TAA introduces blur and ghosting, as you can witness in ACC. It's not a solution really for clarity in VR for a fast moving racing game, and it's a shame because it woulkd be less demanding than the antialiasing options available in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

I didn't know that. Then what would be the ultimate AA for the racing games in VR?

10. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

MSAA/MFAA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Okay, I already maxed out that. I will start blaming the shadows then :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I reported this issue ages ago (and have probably re-reported it a couple of times since), and I know it affects every VR user, so I am hoping someone has an update about it:

Is there a fix for the massive performance drop that occurs with headlights from cars behind in VR?

I have shadows disabled altogether in VR, and performance hit is still massive, so it has to be unrelated to shadows. My frame rates go from steady as can be to unplayable whenever I pass a car at night :(

13. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Yes, shadows is another problem for the game sadly. In general, in any VR title I always get the best clarity and visuals with a form of MSAA if available, but the performance cost is very high so tweaking is mandatory, while TAA is less taxing but not good for VR in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone else having the issue as well, that AMS2 is no longer running with OpenXR & OpenComposite on Quest3. For me it worked until yesterday. Today I can see on my Quest3 that AMS2 is launched, but than screen turns black and I see am egg timer and screen keeps black.

OpenXR log is saying...
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Application name: 'OpenComposite_AMS2AVX', Engine name: ''
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Detected OpenComposite
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Using OpenXR runtime Oculus 1.97.0
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Using OpenXR system Meta Quest 3
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Overriding OpenXR resolution: 2480x2720
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:04 +0200: Using OpenXR resolution (no upscaling): 2480x2720
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:05 +0200: Using Direct3D 11 on adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:05 +0200: Open menu with CTRL+NACH-UNTEN
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:05 +0200: Projection calibration: 0.20808, 0.19319 | -0.20808, 0.19319
    [OXRTK] 2024-06-13 22:53:10 +0200: Late initializeInterceptor() call

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Same, I installed windows (11) update last night + also updated the open composite and virtual desktop, so it was one of those for sure.

(half-life Alyx opened though, so it's not all games).

16. GFoyle

The reflections - setting helps a bit I think (turning it down). I was able to get it in decent shape by just limiting my fov vertically a lot for example, but it's still significant (but playable, even in the worst of conditions with night + heavy rain).

The limiting number of visible cars feature should get improvements in future (emphasizing the limiting on cars behind), so hopefully that brings improvement to this. Currently it's not really useful

17. GFoyle

You need to rollback to earlier open composite, I got it working like that.

These were the instructions:

1. Supreme — 06/12/2024 4:55 PM
      Commit 43e551a4506880ab1a71b8b9fec2fd7fbb27372f - OpenComposite Builds
    2. [4:55 PM]
      scroll to the bottom and click x64/openvr_api.dll
    3. [4:55 PM]
      if you use the switcher place it in the Runtime folder and rename it vrclient_x64.dll and delete the old one

so for me, I had to add the downloaded file to the documents > OpenComposite > Runtime > bin (delete the old and rename the downloaded file).

Note, I'm using the runtime switcher

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member AMS2 Club Member

@GFoyle

You made my day - thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Does anybody know if the game implemented "hidden area mesh" ? I asked at the Pimax Discord if "hiddenMeshVerticalScale" does anything and it appears it doesn't do anything. I set fov limit on Quest 3 via OTT and it gives huge headroom. I'm thinking to switch to a VR headset with DP connection but currently lack of "hidden area mesh" holds me back. Is there any workaround for this on Pimax headsets?

20. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No, it doesn't implement this.

• Agree Agree x 1