VR Launch Issue - Oculus

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by TheMattyOnline, Feb 27, 2023.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Issue:
    Unable to launch into SteamVR mode with an Oculus headset.

Steps to replicate:
    Select Launch in SteamVR from the steam library with an Oculus headset and it will ignore the requested launch and Instead load via the Oculus sdk/api.

Why would we want to use SteamVR launch?:
    Various reasons, but for myself I like to use OpenXR and specifically the OpenXR toolkit wich allows upscaling tools like NIS/FSR/CAS as well as many other useful tools in VR.

To use OpenXR with AMS2 (not natively supported) we replace the openVR.dll in X64 folder with One that supports OpenXR.
    For this to work, we need to launch in SteamVR mode at which point the replaced .dll intercepts the call and runs OpenXR instead.

I have asked mbucchia, the developer of OpenXR toolkit what his opinion is regarding the issue of AMS2 not allowing Oculus headsets to launch via SteamVR, and this was his response.

“I think the game tries to initialize LibOVR (Oculus mode) and once it sees that is available, it just ignores the other OpenVR path.”
    “It would be possible to write a very simple LibOVR replacement that users would copy into the AMS folder, and that would always fail to initialize, therefore forcing the game to use OpenVR”

This sounds like it could (should?) be a fairly easy fix to implement.
    Can I ask if someone from the development team could take a look at this and advise if something can be done and if possible a rough timescale for a fix?

Many thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

+1
    Oculus Rift S user and are unable to launch in Steam VR. I'm sure this was not the case when I first tried AMS2 over 2 years ago

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheMattyOnline

I appreciate that the studio is flat out (as usual) with lots of updates and bug fixes.

But it is very frustrating, even after posting everywhere VR related and even on the official help channel, that not one dev, member of staff or even an internal tester will even reply, acknowledge or confirm the above issue.

As I’ve previously said, I’m not demanding a fix here, or asking unreasonable things.
    Just a simple acknowledgement of the problem for us Oculus owners.

Short of tagging every member of Reiza in this topic, how can we get this put on the internal bug tracker?

4. isabido

isabido New Member

Any solution? I can't run OpenXR through opencomposite for my Oculus RiftS.

It works fine with any steam game. but not with AMS2.

5. TheMattyOnline

Unfortunately no.

And no reply on any thread in here or on beta forums.

I'm left wondering what the point of an official "help and support" channel is, when not one developer or member of staff even has the time of day to respond, or acknowledge this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. isabido

isabido New Member

It's a shame, I have a friend with Quest2 that seems to work with openXR-composite. It must be something specific with the Rifts as it is direct displayport.

If it were for all oculus devices surely someone else would be complaining right now.

Let's see if someone in charge of Reiza listens to us.

7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

copied from Opencomposite forum
    ------

1. There’s 2 ways that achieve the same thing. As stated, it doesn’t matter what VR launch version you choose from Steam. With an Oculus headset, it will always use Oculus launch. You need to disable the Oculus api, by using either Oculus Killer (can find it on Github) or by installing OVR Advanced Settings from Steam store (it’s free) which adds extra settings in VR. Once Oculus mode is disabled, AMS2 will launch in SteamVR mode. You need to make sure you replace the original openvr.dll for the Open Composite (OpenXR branch) one. And make sure to set SteamVR as OpenXR runtime in Steam settings.

2. Also, SteamVR has to be open before launching AMS2 in SteamVR mode. Once loaded in, you will be running OpenXR via SteamVR which allows you to also use the OpenXR toolkit which is super useful for the various upscaling and colour correction tools etc

8. TheMattyOnline

Thats actually me

Trouble is, that is then using Oculus, through Steamvr and Steamvr's ooenxr runtime.
    It works, but adds an additional performance hit.

I just want to launch in steamvr mode, so openxr takes over like every other game does. Either no staff or devs monitors their help channel, or they have no idea how to fix it.
    At this stage i'd simply settle for a "we know, but no fix on the horizon".

But nothing, not a reply, an acknowledgment, nadda.

Thanks for trying though !

9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

maybe the have bigger problems than unsupported VR systems
    They do not support XR and its not really their problem to get an unsupported system running.
    Especially as the madness engine is not their baby and they seem not to be able to change any code of the engine.
    With the supported systems OC/OVR everything is fine.
    If the hardware is strong enough.
    No more , no less.
    So maybe the best solution: this modders who hacked openVR to relink to openXR should maybe hack Oculus ddls the same way to directly relink OculusVR to openXR.
    Best would be Ocolus themselves create that. They know ho to do
    because Oculus works wy better with Oculus openXR than with Steams OpenXR
    that is exactly the reason, why you get that "performance hit"
    just my 10 cents.

BTW
    Its known, that F1 22 is performing total sh..t with Oculus in combination with nVidia cards in VR and i've never seen an answer that there will be a solution.
    Everything is good in their eyes.
    In my eyes Codemasters is much worse than Reiza, because they own their engine ;)

10. TheMattyOnline

And this i think is exactly the point.

I neither want them to or expect them to support openXR. We have 3rd parties already doing this.
    What i'm after is for them to fix the broken launch options so that i can launch my Oculus headset in SteamVR mode. The option is there to do so in steam. Oculus supports SteamVR. It could and should work.

This has to be a simple fix, but i can't get anyone from Reiza to acknowledge the problem.
    Like literally a wall of silence.
    Awful support.

• Like Like x 1
  11. isabido

isabido New Member

It's that simple, it's not about asking for anything weird, it's ONLY asking that they can be run on STEAMVR! and the solution is surely more than simple. But they have to attend to the request and bother.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I4d

I4d New Member

Same here, tried to launch the game in steamVR but actually launches in OculusVR so couldn't use openxr. I'll have a try with OVR, hope the performance hit by keeping SteamVR open could be covered by fixed foveated rendering in openxr.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I4d

I4d New Member

I can launch AMS2 using SteamVR after setting up OVR, and opemcomposite recognizes AMS2, but openxr still couldn't launch.

14. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Running into the same issue. Trying to get my quest pro working with openxr and disappointed. Hope a fix or workaround can be put into place asap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Max Jacuzzi

Max Jacuzzi New Member

+1 just bought a quest pro, I am very happy with it and I would be even more happy, if I could launch ams 2 via steamVR / using openxr toolkit

• Like Like x 1
  16. sndb

sndb New Member

+1
    Well, I suppose I can't rightfully complain about this issue without at least adding myself to the informal list of affected users here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JaggieBoover

JaggieBoover New Member

Just created an account to give a +1.
    I just bought AMS2 due to hearing so many great things regarding the VR. But after realising I would not be able to run it with openXR on my Quest 2 I have now refunded. Tried everything to get it to work but the game forces me in to Oculus mode.

Hope this is resolved by the devs as I will then gladly purchase the game again!

18. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Believe it works, but maybe someone who is an expert on vr can correct me

19. JaggieBoover

JaggieBoover New Member

If there is a fix for this (not mentioned in this thread yet) I would gladly take it, but the workarounds in this thread so far all come with performance hits, which for me defeats the purpose of using openXR/steamVR to begin with. My hardware is not very great and openXR is a must for me otherwise I cannot run VR games with stable framerate.

20. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

No, it still does not work with Oculus