VR Newbie - Is it actually worth it for AMS2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LargeStyle, Jul 4, 2023.

1. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

Hi all,

I know there's a VR discussion thread here and I've been through some of it but I ain't going through 105 pages for a simple answer.

I'm simply considering moving over to VR (from 65" 4K display) and I'm eyeing up Quest 2 as I need this move to be super-cheap, but I've read that the Q2 doesn't play well with AMS2 due to lack of support or compatibility with requried external VR apps, and there are also visual issues too (sparks & poor resolution)?

Put simply, is AMS2 actually playable in VR with the Q2? Respectfully, I'm not after a complicated / detailed answer, just confirmation that it's worth getting a Q2 or not please. I can't commit to spending more on anything else right now.

FWIW: I'm also wanting to play Raceroom & Dirt Rally 2. PC Spec: Intel i7 8 Core 4.9Ghz, RTX 2080Ti, 64Gb DDR4.

Many thanks in advance.

2. GogglesPaesano

GogglesPaesano Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you’d like it. It’s a fantastic experience

3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've seen the HP Reverb G2 being sold with a discount so that it equals the Quest 2 price. If you're mostly interested in VR for simulators and not for the Quest 2 game library, then the HP Reverb G2 is a worthy (or perhaps better) alternative.

4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, you only need a heavy duty videocard. My 1080ti will not do it these days. Really love VR but for a bit better graphics you must pay the price. Otherwise I would buy a new rift. :D. My rift is EOL sadly.

5. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I think vr for driving games is absolutely superb and ams2 seems to me to be the best performer especially concerning clarity. I came from a rift s to a Pico 4 and the jump was amazing. The Pico lenses are brilliant. I have just ordered a 3090 so I I'm excited to turn up some settings.

Driving in vr is superb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah I've seen that the Reverb G2 is often recommended, but for me (in the UK) that's considerably more costly compared to the Quest 2, hence my preference for the latter given my very limited budget.

I don't care about Q2's internal games and just want to play the "main" racing sims on PC.

The main VR thread contained some concerning Quest 2 comments, in that it doesn't work well with AMS2, possibly by enough to make it unplayable. This was something to do with the external software required to convince AMS2 that it's a compatible VR device.

So does the Quest 2 work with AMS2 or would I HAVE to buy a more expensive VR device for assured compatibility?

Many thanks in advance again!

7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’ve got a quest 2 and it works, but not so good resolution imo

8. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

It just works. I'm using it for AMS2, rF2, AMS1 (mod), AC, ACC, etc., and the main flight sims too, since two years ago without major problems. I used to have a 2080, and a 3080 currently.

It's a great alternative for simracing in VR at a lower cost.

It works out of the box, but to get the most out of it you will have to tweak some settings and use it wired to the PC.

9. projupiter

projupiter Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a reverb g2, and it sits in a box. For me VR is too much of a hassle taking the headset on and off, messing with settings etc. the novelty wore off quickly, I find triple screens much more user friendly. I think in a few years with improved hardware it will be great, but for me its just not a pleasant experience at the moment.

10. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

Thank you very much for your reply & help.

While I'm extremely new to VR, a video from Karl Gosling on Youtube stated that you need to run something like 1.5x (or more) resolution of native to compensate for barrel distortion. Again, no idea but I've seen several good reports praising Q2 for pixel clarity.

11. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

Thank you very much also for your reply & help. That's so reassuring to know that Q2 is a worthwhile simracing headset! I just needed that feedback for peace of mind which you just gave me! Yeah I'm planning on moving my PC to the same room as my SimRig as I thought the wired approach would likely be required or preferred method. I knew that there'd be some faffing around with software, but it fundamentally sounds solid so I'm sold!

12. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

I had considered your hassles for myself as it's obviously not as easy as just turning on a / some monitors. That said my circumstance is perhaps a bit unique in that my SimRig (GT Omega Titan) is in the living room under the stairs and I have to wheel the whole thing over in front of my TV to race, and obviously the reverse afterwards. I'd kinda dismissed thoughts of buying a dedicated TV just for the SimRig as space constraints would mean an effective screen size reduction from 65" down to just 43" - hence why I thought I could upgrade to VR instead! So for me it's just as important to find any working solution as it is to find a fun solution.

13. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a Quest 2 with a 3080. I see no benefit to wired over wireless and I love not having the wire in the way. Could never go back to wired.

The resolution is what it is. The next step up in resolution is, what, 5x the price? I think the Q2 is amazing value for money. Get one off ebay and I promise you'll have a great time.

14. LargeStyle

LargeStyle New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I thought the benefit of being wired was reduced or zero latency and a sharper (or less blurry) image, but I also read that wired was only required / recommended if WIFI / router quality was poor and you were too far away from the router(?) Going by my current setup, although my PC is upstairs with wired Ethernet, my SimRig is downstairs and only about 3 metres from the router so maybe I could get away with wireless? I'm presuming though that I'll have to bring my PC downstairs & beside my SimRig with wired link for the best quality / experience? I'd likely test wireless first though just in case that's good enough for me.

But yeah, already watching a few Q2's on eBay! ;)

15. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yes it is. It’s my daily driver.
    I’m somewhat of an enthusiast case though, as I’ve long since been seduced by the very idea of stereoscopy and VR since the very early 90s, so I’m always gonna be all-in.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023