VR SteamVR performance problems - Quest3 + Virtual Desktop

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by bartekno, Jun 17, 2024.

1. bartekno

bartekno New Member

Hi to give some background i am running
    i7 13700K
    32GB RAM DDR5 6000MHz
    RTX 4090
    Windows 11 clean install
    Oculus Quest 3

When running AMS2 via Virtual Desktop, using SteamVR the game is running via SteamVR API. Even if my hardware give a plenty of headroom for performance, the experience is totally unacceptable. Yes the picture quality is top notch, but the game stutters all the time. It is fair to be said totally unplayable.
    Yes, when playing via cable connection and OpenXR it looks better, less frame drops, smooth gameplay, but picture quality is worse than via VD. Also using VD gives better user experiance and ease of use.

I tried several things, of course all drivers, apps etc up to date, reinstalled AMS2, no mods, tried different setups in VD, nothing improves the result.
    It appears there is some general incompatibility issue rather than perfromance issue comming from my hardware setup.

Is this problem also known by other users ? is there any way to overcome that ? it a bit frustrating that other titles in general provides better experience right now and i always give it a try first to AMS2 via VR but always had to give up and change the title...

Many thanks for all comments and support in the discussion :)

2. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

3. MediocreAtBest

MediocreAtBest New Member

My system is not as powerful as yours but have you tried just using the Steam Link app on Q3 or just Airlink if only to qualify VD is not the issue? I prefer the performance/convenience of Steamlink and love it :p

4. bartekno

bartekno New Member

i am sending a summary of my experience, i got feedback that switching off telemetry should help and indeed it was the reason. i turned of UDP and the game started performing perfectly well. thank you !!

• Informative Informative x 1