Well that was unexpected...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Skidmark33, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm a bit of a noob here and couldn't find a dedicated video thread (which doesn't mean there isn't one), but I thought some of you guys might get a chuckle out of my experience this morning...

I was racing at Bathurst, elbows out, and then...

In VR it was quite terrifying. :eek::D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Was this online or offline?

3. Skidmark33

It was offline vs AI.

Interestingly things felt a bit odd on this lap. On the previous lap I punted a couple of AI in the Chase and gained some places that I didn’t want to keep (I know - what a dag!). At Hell Corner I pulled to the left into the pit exit area to give the positions back.

When I merged back on to the track it was like the AI couldn’t make sense of where I was coming from and were trying to drive right through me. The upshot was that it felt like we were ‘magnetically’ attracted as we went up Mountain Straight and then… what a lovely view…

I wonder if I made myself ‘invisible’ to the AI by doing that? They were driving as though I wasn’t there (as might happen on pit exit sometimes when you become intangible - ie you can drive through a car or they can drive through you).

Perhaps the code that tells the AI that I’m coming out of the pits and will be intangible was triggered but not the actual intangibility. If that makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the explanation!

5. Skidmark33

I’m not sure it was an explanation but I hope it helps squash that bug! :)

6. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Have to watch out for those bloody landmines on Mountain Straight...

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Skidmark33

Speaking of unexpected things happening to me on Mountain Straight, I happened to be in Bathurst on business in Nov 2016 staying at the hotel near The Chase. I decided to walk the track and as it's a public road and as it was a weekday afternoon I DID NOT expect to see this. But I did. I'd forgotten all about it. The man himself was driving.

You can see cameras on the back of the car. I think they were making an advertisement. I've never seen it though.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1