Why does the Vee want to kill me?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by s0cks, Sep 2, 2022.

1. s0cks

s0cks New Member

Oulton Park - Fosters layout. Formula Vee. Why does this thing want to kill me? Every crest or bump it wants to throw me off track. Aren't these things for beginners? Can race the Vee in iRacing on the same track no problems (I'm actually pretty fast in it), but in AMS2 it's a death trap.

2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think they are for beginners in the sense of teaching proper handling (rather than being easy to drive), but most importantly because it is cheap.

Maybe the AMS2 depiction is a tad bit overdone, but I'm in no position to judge that since I've never even been close to a Vee, but from the onboard videos they do not seem easy to handle:

Tons of steering corrections all over the whole lap, and exiting corners can be race ending if done in too much of a haste.

Now personal opinion: the iRacing Vee is incredibly disappointing. The only open wheel I've raced so far that I really dislike, even though I love these cars. I think the AMS2 one handles so much better. The iRacing one seems like an ON-OFF grip switch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. s0cks

s0cks New Member

I've been reading up about their swing axle so I can see why it wants to throw me off so easily, but I don't understand how it's so different to iRacing. In the IR Vee I rarely lose grip, the car seems mostly predictable (once you understand how to drive it), and it certainly isn't upset by crests anywhere near as much as in AMS2. Strange.

4. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

The Formula Vee in iRacing and the Formula Vee in AMS2 are not the same car.

From the sound of things, a specific set up for Oulton Foster's is in order. Test Day and tweaking. And maybe take a look at @Marc Collins FFB set up guidelines. They worked like a charm for me. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The tyres are road tyres in ams2, and the vee has an open diff. Always applying some maintenance throttle during braking and turns will keep the car stable. Its a totally different car to that in iracing

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's a video showing what @rmagid1010 means by "maintenance throttle". The Formula Vee has an open diff, so if you gently apply throttle, it will tend to understeer/stabilize. In the video, you can see how I often apply around 25% throttle (just enough for the green bar to cover the 'A', coincidentally) quite early into corners such as Druids and Old Hall, where the car becomes unstable because of braking/downshifting just earlier.

Also, use heel-and-toe when shifting down, or use auto-clutch.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anthony 123

Anthony 123 Active Member

Where are these ffb guidelines?

8. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Automobilista 2 V1.3.0.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.0.1

That's the basic procedures, and there are comments throughout this thread with tips and advice:

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.2

I just drove the Formula Vee at Oulton Foster's and I had no problem even with the default set up. If I tweak the set up a little, it gets even better. I can push the car quite hard on that track, with no issues. It's a lot of fun.

So you may need to dial in your FFB. That can cause problems if it's not right. Also, I drive with all assists set to Authentic or OFF, because I've found that cars sometimes behave noticeably differently with assists on, and the assists make it difficult when you're trying to fine tune a set up.

9. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Worth noting that people have been saying to recalibrate the wheel + pedals in AMS2 settings if you find things don't feel right.

And there appears to be good FFB setup recommendations on p44, by GearNazi.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022