Windscreen/cockpit reflection anomalies

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 6, 2024.

1. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Something I've noticed for a while now is the reflections from curbs or painted lines running across the track has an effect on the windscreen & certain parts of the cockpit, this is very prevalent in the Brazilian StockCar classes with their huge numbers (see below) which highlight it somewhat.

You'll noticed in the top picture the numbers are dark as I go across a Red curb, the bottom picture where the numbers are lighter is when I go across a White curb, the roof of the car is also much lighter. Now of course this reflection of light from darker/lighter objects should happen to some extent, but I feel it's overpowered somewhat and it doesn't just affect the windscreen. Other parts of the cockpit, which are nowhere near being able to refract light from the curbs, also change in brightness. Other AI cars bumpers/back ends "flash" as I go across a Start/Finish line, which to me suggests there's some anomaly going on as the reflection from the S/F Line shouldn't affect the windscreen as much as it does.
    (I thought it may have to do with Post Processing so I turned that off, but it's the same without so that didn't affect it.)

So is it game breaking? absolutely not! But driving in VR - where it's probably more noticeable - it has become "one of them things" that I now can't un-see, it doesn't bug me that much only just enough to warrant this thread to see if I'm "alone"!

20240406163620_1.jpg 20240406163627_1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Not alone, have noticed this as well - expecially with curbs where the texture will flash like an ambulance siren :confused:

Like you said it's not game breaking, but it's definitely noticeable in VR.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I think it is also linked to why at night, when we have cars behind, the whole cockpit is lit as if it was in full sun. I mean, the rear of the cars is usually covering most/much of the light coming from behind, and at least the bottom of the steering wheel/dash should be shaded, in my opinion.
    It is like if some of the car body (specifically the bottom, and the tail) are not contributing to ambient occlusion.
    upload_2024-4-9_15-39-13.png

4. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ok it's really bugging me now! I ran wide at Red Bull Ring and onto the red part of the Austrian painted flag area, when I came off it the Redness in the race numbers on the windscreen stayed even though I was half over the grass. It appears to be reflecting "through" the car which suggests a definite graphical anomaly issue, hope this can be fixed with this graphics engine some day.

20240413204836_1.jpg 20240413205214_1.jpg