Does anybody still like the F-Extreme?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by P*Funk, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick New Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried it out in beta just today - felt a lot better. Noticed this in the 0.9.35 notes:
    F-Extreme: Adjusted default setup

Feels much more planted now - curious as to what might have changed?

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

this is nice to drive now I must admit.

3. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess what was tweaked was the tyres, producing less WTF-moments. I hope Metalmoro gets similar kind of treatment.

4. Msportdan

Just wanna say does anyone thinknthe v10 really easy compared to this car. I mean it's like on rails I thought the groove tyres supposed to give less grip its really hard to loose it.

5. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Well it does use TC. Without TC I have no trouble losing it, though in that condition I still think its easier to drive than the Extreme which I think is fine. The modern cars are very tricky in no small part due to the tendency to wheel slip thanks to all that lovely torque.

6. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

...and a Mickey Mouse -rearwing and no proper diffuser.

7. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Downforce-wise they´re actually comparable, but the V10 also has nearly 100kg lower weight limit (which it confortably meets, allowing for a lot of ballast to be moved around & lower the center of gravity), shorter wheelbase and has a more linear torque curve. The Extreme has gobs of torque, which in the sim carries an extra difficulty as we dont have all the fancy throttle map systems to ease power delivery (though we´re working on something). Even the grooved tires from the height of the tire war are not exactly poor in comparison to the modern "control" slicks from Pirelli.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Kevin Pheiffer

Kevin Pheiffer Owner of Shadowracingrsa

I'm not the quickest driver by a long shot and know even less about setups.
    I do find that the extreme's brakes seem much weaker than say, the Formula Reiza. Those cars have serious brakes and make the whole drive a lot more "User Friendly".
    Don't you guys think if the extremes had stronger brake power they would be a lot easier to control in and out of corners? I battle to slow the car down as apposed to the Reiza which STOP when you tramp on the brakes. :p

9. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

F. Reiza has lower topspeeds in general and more downforce, so I guess that helps to reduce braking distances.

10. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Renato - this is exactly the kind of post I like and appreciate!

(It would be great, in the release version of the game to have a very short write up about each car in the game : power/weight/drive train stats, driving characteristics, handling tips and tricks, etc.)

The new default setup makes it much easier to find a drive-able setup - I've been enjoying these much more since that update. I too find the brakes the trickiest part of taming these. There seems to be a very small window between locking up and not stopping in time. I've played around with pressure and balance, and been trying to adjust the balance for each big braking zone on track - but I admit I haven't found my comfort zone yet.

I think Reiza got the nascent 2014 brake by wire systems bang on. :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Weight has again a lot to do with it, the F-Extreme is 72kg heavier than the F-Reiza. The tires are actually harder than the previous generation of Pirellis & there´s less downforce (though they are getting very close to 2013 levels this season). It´s one of the reasons the modern generation of cars don´t look all that exciting on TV though they´re actually harder to drive them previous ones, they lost a lot of the inherent F1 nimbleness as they kept raising the minimal weight, to the point they´re now almost like clumsy Indycars. And it looks like it will go up again next year to 720kg :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Jumped back into the F-Extreme tonight at Interlagos and ran about 40 laps. The changes to the default setup were indeed the improvement that I needed to finally settle into this beast of a car. I was able to put down a lap time of 1:15.7, which I think is pretty solid when Hamilton set the fastest lap of the race in 2015 with a lap time of 1:14.832.

Putting the power down in the F-Extremes is exhilarating to say the least. The sense of speed when utilizing DRS and redlining 8th gear is phenomenal.

13. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Apologies if it's already been raised, but I think the F-extreme is a little too fuel efficient. At most tracks I average around 1.2 to 1.5 liters per lap, which seems like not enough. Obviously I know these new V6 turbos are incredibly efficient compared to the old V8's, but am I crazy in thinking these things in AMS should be a little more thirsty than they currently are?

I can do like 35 laps on 50L of fuel at Albert Park.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

Apparently, Niels is working on some new physics for this car :)

15. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

I saw. So far it looks as if you can really ride the curbs more than I remember.

16. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

I hope he takes a look into the metalmoro too :rolleyes:

17. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I saw the video of him driving it. It looks awesome! He said he was doing like 1:12's so hopefully that means it's gotten a lot more driveable. :) Best I can manage in qualifying trim on the current physics is a high 1:14 at Montreal, and I don't consider myself to be a slouch haha

18. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

1.12s are possible on the current version, but it's not the kind of laps you can reproduce easily.

The problem with the car is that it feels so stiff, even with the softest settings it still feels bad, i guess that the suspension geometry itself provides too much stiffness.
    Since 2014, F1 teams started running soft setups, you can see it on onboards how the wishbones move, so soft on rolling, only stiff on heave movements at the front, but they run higher rakes :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried the FExtreme now as well, after quite some time. Have huge issues, though. The car can't take any curbs, especially inner ones - it pulls the car in, rear rotates and it spins. I also have huge understeer (the car struggles to turn in or make chicanes) and the car appears to not accelerate at the same rate Niels' does. It's weird..

I have an old low degree wheel, though, and i need to use low steering lock+low steering sensitivity.
    Maybe my wheel characteristics just don't work with this car. I don't know.

20. Msportdan

its funny as ive been comparing this car to ISI F-ISI car at suzuka. To me the reiza one seems much more grippy and "can I say" easier to drive. With reizas one I can even take TRC off, with ISI one I need low TRC. But the reiza one still feels more stable and the most fun. You do get less WTF moments in this.