1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enjoy Automobilista with gamepad!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renoista, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Renoista

Renoista New Member

Hi all

Few days ago I tried Copa Petrobras and it was instantly obvious that Reiza makes “the real” stuff. Than comes Automobilista Steam sale and here we go :)
    Now to gamepads.

Every racing fan dream about gaming room setup with triple monitor, racing wheel, pedals etc. Reality for many of us is that we have limited space-time-laps to enjoy this masterpiece and that mean playing Automobilista with gamepad.
    Despite trying all of the different .ini hacks and settings tricks, steering with analog stick was twitchy and over sensitive. It's not the problem that car is not drivable, but crazy cockpit wheel rotations is totally destroying immersion.

I resolved the problem by mapping (with Xpadder on PC or Enjoyable on Mac) left Gamepad stick to keyboard keys. That way Automobilista can apply nice and smooth digital steering (which can be adjusted per car) and now wheel steering feels good.

So, to not go trough all of the hassle, is it possible that Reiza add option for controllers to treat analog input as digital (something like "Use Keyboard Rates For Analog” option in rf2), and make it more accessible and enjoyable for gamepad players.

Hope this request is not against “hard core sim” rules ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. FS7

FS7 Member

I'm pretty sure you can fully customize controls in AMS, including using d-pad for digital steering (personally I don't like that type of setup).
    Besides adjusting sensitivity & deadzones, something that improved controls considerably with my Xbox360 controller was to use custom steering rotation (300 for open-wheelers, 360 for everything else, anything higher than that makes cars incredibly difficult to control to me). Your issue with "crazy cockpit wheel rotations" might be related to that.

3. Renoista

Renoista New Member

Yes. I used even 180 custom wheel rotation, analog filter and all other tips for rf1 engine but steering with left analog stick was never smooth enough.
    Binding stick axis to keyboard AMS treat it as digital input and than it can be adjusted with "digital steering rate" to have nice and smooth wheel feeling.
    Can I say, just like in GT and Forza :)

4. Jakerock

Jakerock New Member

"Binding stick axis to keyboard AMS"
    Could you explain what you mean by this please?
    When I adjust the digital steering rate, nothing changes.
    I think if I could make this work it would help with the very twitchy steering I am experiencing with my Thrustmaster GPX LightBack.

I wish that there was a sensitivity setting for dampening the acceleration and braking curves...
    Also very twitchy even with a good controller like this...

5. Renoista

Renoista New Member

Here is tutorial for Xpadder

And You only need to do it for left stick / steering.

6. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini

I use the amazing Xbox 360 Speed Wheel, and it's fantastic!

Worth every penny. It's way more precise than a joypad, increadibly simple to setup (it's plug and play), way cheaper than a good wheel, and works just fine in Windows 10. When I travel, I use it with my notebook, in order to create a "mobile cockpit" :)

If you're interested, I've made a profile file for it, works like a charm since rFactor days.

Regards!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Paul_73

Paul_73 Member

I have a G27 which I like, but lately I've played AMS more and more with a Steam Controller. The gyro steering works really well.

I have an Xbox speed wheel like Lorencini and it works well with AMS, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sektor

Sektor New Member

How is the lag, and how comfortable are you with shifting and looking back?