1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

you are all right. I don't know his budget, but today , when someone with a 5 year old GPU asks what he should buy, i assume he wants to buy not something of the lowest possible, i assume he wants something, that could do the job another 5 years. So my suggestion is buy a good middle and you'll be happy for a period. Not the lowest and if you like VR and buy a better headset, then you have the same problem as now.
    Also a 1TB SSD is definitely not overkill. Install 10 Games and you could have mor than 500GB in these days. My AC installation with a big library of good mod tracks and cars is about 150GB now.
    AMS2 will also grow to about 50GB. MSFS2020 is 120GB w/o extensions. So what?

2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He said he doesn't want to "break the bank", so the 1TB SSD would definitely be overkill in a tight budget, since an HDD can do just fine. The load times are absolutely acceptable in all sims I race (except iRacing).

Anyway, this discussion is irrelevant since he said he already own an SSD.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I'm running the GTX 1080Ti with the Valve Index with great results. The Index-audio is top notch too - if that matters to you.

I'd upgrade to an RTX 3070 (if I could get one:rolleyes:) for a bit more detail. The Index will set you back a bit more than others but, you can reduce the cost by buying used or go with just the HMD + a single sensor (works perfect for seated use). There may still be a queue to buy new though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Some time back, i asked about the openvr HAM (hidden_area_mesh) function, and wether it could be implemented in AMS2 on the madness engine.

This is already used with good success in Raceroom and Rf2 (its also natively supported by Unreal Engine and ACC)

It basically masks the areas outside the viewable FOV of the headset, thus saving having to draw the whole scene. When viewed on the desktop mirror (with both eyes) it looks like you are viewing through binoculars.

Here is an example from rf2 with HAM enabled.
    openvr_ham.PNG

Is this something that's feasible for the future?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. AtomicD0G

AtomicD0G New Member

CrewChief doesn't work for me in VR, but works great when I'm not in VR. All settings are the same. I'm using Oculus Rift and running AMS2 through Steam. What might I be missing?

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Check that your HMD is the primary audio device (listed in Windows), left-click the speaker symbol in the task bar. You can then choose Oculus HMD audio. CC will not automatically switch to Oculus audio, IIRC.

7. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Liking the new Nords, seems more hilly than other versions I've tried.
    My only criticism is that some of the red and white barriers and white road markings flicker similar to the pc2 version.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

these same barriers also flicker on the GP track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KastaRules

KastaRules New Member

Hello, is there a way to lock the car's cockpit to the FOV in VR?

Right now the cockpit is unrealistically pivoting around my FOV whenever I am in a banked turn, very noticeable in the first turn at Brands Hatch or pretty much anywhere on the Nordschleife.

The only other sim where this happened is Dirt Rally 2.0 but there was an option to turn this behaviour on/off.

10. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, in the camera settings: world movement

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Good morning all,

I have been a sim racer for years and class myself as a decent mid pack clean racer. I have finally decided to take a step into the vr world but I am not a very technically minded individual lol and having looked at websites where it mentions tethered, not tethered etc etc. so I have a question...... what is a good recommended vr system to go for as I see so many? Budget not really an issue but not wanting to go crazy lol in case vr is not for me

feedback is most appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Baz

12. Donato

Donato Member

[QUOTE = "Ochilbaz, post: 106163, member: 16229"] Buongiorno a tutti,

Sono stato un sim racer per anni e mi considero un discreto corridore pulito di fascia media. Ho finalmente deciso di fare un passo nel mondo della realtà virtuale, ma non sono un individuo con una mentalità molto tecnologica e ho guardato i siti Web in cui si parla di tethered, non tethered ecc. Ecc. Quindi ho una domanda ... un buon sistema vr consigliato per come ne vedo tanti? Il budget non è davvero un problema, ma non voglio impazzire lol nel caso in cui la VR non sia per me

il feedback è molto apprezzato
    Grazie in anticipo
    Baz [/ QUOTE]

For simracer HP Reverb G1/G2

13. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

No matter the setting I always get jagged images within VR? I play other sims as well but those images are way smoother than AMS2. I don’t know if the graphics engine is not optimized yet?

14. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Project Cars 1 & 2 did this natively for the original Rift and Vive, But I don't think native support has been added for headsets since.

15. lensman45

lensman45 Member

I used to get nice smooth graphics with my Rift S (Quest 2 now).
    Found the best settings were, 0 super sampling with medium or High MSSA + the sharpening setting in the ini file at 1.5 or so.

16. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

bumped it up before it’s lost lol

17. lensman45

lensman45 Member

You can't really go wrong with the new Oculus Quest 2 headset. Now the PCVR Link is out of Beta you'll get near 2K per eye display all for £299 :)
    Graphics in AMS2 are looking crisp and detailed.

18. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks for your reply

19. psone

psone Guest

@Ochilbaz

Tethered vs untethered would mean whether it has a cable or can operate wirelessly, the only real wireless option at the moment is facebooks Quest 2, but I this wouldn't be my first pick for simracing.

The two big hitters right now are the Valve Index and HP Reverb G2. The G2 no question has the better optics/ image quality as far as sim racing/flight simming etc goes for the price there isn't really a better option. So if you're just interested in VR for sim racing it's a safe bet, like all hardware at the moment though it might take a while before you can get your hands on one. If your interested in VR gaming more generally then the Index is a good option also it uses satelites for tracking, so base stations external to the headset placed around your room as opposed to the G2's inside out tracking, which means the headset has an array of cameras built into it looking outward. The downside of inside out is that tracking can be a bit sketchy at times, but apparently the G2 does it pretty well, again if sim racing is your sole/main focus you don't need to think about this. The Index also has the knuckles controllers which are awesome, but again if you're just simming the controllers are meaningless. Oh and the other thing the Index has going for it over the G2 is a wider field of view, which is actually a nice feature for racing, that said the fov of the G2 should be fine, mine is on pre-order so I have to wait and see, but the fov of the Odyssey+ was fine for me so I shouldn't have an issue there.

General system wise if I were buying right now purely for gaming I would go with a Ryzen 5600X and a 3080 or 6800XT If I were doing some content creation or streaming etc I'd probably bump myself up to a 5900X and skip the 5800x altogether. If they release a 5700x in the coming months I think that will be the real value sweetspot for gamers. GPU wise it's hard to say, you could probably get away with a 6800 particularly if you're only concerned with AMS 2 but if your budget is reasonably healthy any of the higher tier options would be great choices 6800xt/3080/6900xt there's also talk of a 6900 non xt and a 3080 ti in the works too. If you care about RT Raytracing or DLSS 2.0 nvidia is the stronger option of the two. But again if simming is your main focus go with AMD. Its honestly really hard to recommend a card at the moment though, mainly because availability is non-existent and looks like it'll likely remain that way into the new year. Also we're definitely going to see some new cards announced in the not to distant future, nvidia kind of don't have a choice.

20. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I will look into this. Many thanks

• Like Like x 1