1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2020 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 1, 2020.

1. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is exactly the reason why we still need good AI in racing sims.
    I first noticed that in AC: you go online and see GT3s at Spa, Monza or Nords 90% of the time. What’s the point joining these servers? It’s like groundhog day.
    I’m really glad that AMS1 now has this VR mod, so I can enjoy some good offline racing against the AI again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pfoetiman76

pfoetiman76 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I can‘t understand why a lot of people only want GT3. The only reason is, that it is the easiest car to drive because of all the technical helpers.
    I hope Reiza will not jump on that commercial train and change everything until the GT3 guys are happy. Some things in FFB and physics turned worse after the implementation of the GT3 in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Both the DTM cars feel really springy ! I cant get them to feel nice, there is little to no lightness from understeer and it feels springy , I tried high and progressively lowered each setting (including LFB *Marc) but even 100FX the understeer feeling isnt there .

4. kagurazakayukari

kagurazakayukari Member

Yes, now that is the only way can receive enough data to show UI (name,delta,etc) via client side from PC2API that offered.

5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am not a League runner, but want a good quality for the online-races
    I'm worried about the question of making it possible to join races that are already underway, I can imagine that the option to late-join (or re-join) is a welcome option for leagues (Running a dedicated server) so that the drivers that get disconnected can join again, (Best approved by an admin)
    I don't think late-joining adds to the fun I experience in the in-game lobbies.
    I'm not a League driver and hope I don't have to be one to enjoy clean and clear online races
    A number of points of attention,

- Late joining seems to me to be an option that is only for lazy riders a solution.
    - It is at the expense of people who can have the patience to wait, or have taken the time to participate in the qualification, and want to have a race from the start until the finish.
    - A race that people can take part in halfway is not a race, but be a kind of track-day.
    - Late joiners are a big distraction in a race and are likely to go close racing with riders who drive a few laps ahead, a race does not become cleaner and clearer.
    - Perhaps it has a negative impact on a future-ranking system.
    - The full lobbies are likely to be targeted by late-joiners and not the poor-filled ones, because late-joiners feel lonely in an unfilled lobby. The full lobbies are already full and have no benefit whatsoever from the fact that people can join late.
    - Late join is not necessary to get used to a car or circuit there are plenty of other options for in the game
    - There are plenty in game lobbies that you can join if you have a little patience.
    - There is an option to wait for the next race in the lobby
    - Everyone has the opportunity to start their own race
    - If you want to "race" and let people join, don't race but start an endless practice session.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hey @SaxOhare I hope this is not on Reizas list of future "updates".
    Because if it is then its because they dont really know how to make AMS2 more like a real racing sim.

ByTheWay: If you are able to just jump into a MP race either just at the start or even worse when the race is allready are going on then AMS2 would be on the level of Super Mario Racing.

1.jpg

EDIT: I just didnt take the time to look at the source of @SaxOhare ´s slightly misleading quote.
    Because as @F1 Hero as the source originally proposed that if you join a race too late then you enter as a ghost car like in iRacing then it is a great proposal.
    I used it a lot when I was a member because I could both check out if a certain race setup did function in an official race - without destroying the race for others.
    BeAware that the word "ghost" is used quite opposite of normal. If you join a race as "ghost" then the other cars dont see (and feel) you.
    But you see all the others as ghost cars.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What you are talking about in just drop-in type racing is what you do with games like Gran Turismo and Forza. Proper sims require more time and preparation and acclimatising if you are to be realistic about your expectations. Your ghost car argument is really not appropriate for a simulator like AMS x.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe you missed a few of the previous updates :D Earlier AI was quite scrappy among themselves and with the players. In the last few updates it has been turned down a bit. Also it would help if you added which car models you are talking about I guess...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

AC is a proper sim and people are allowed to join races in the middle for preparation and acclimatising for the next session. And public servers are a place for immediate fun instead of hardcore competition, that should be found on organized races/leagues. It is this way since the beginning of sim racing history, and it will always be.

My suggestion was aiming to make AMS2 multiplayer more popular. But if it the majority disagree, there is no problem to me. @Renato Simioni ,please, ignore my suggestion of a ghost car joining the race that has already started. Leave it the way it is now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

^^ If you can join a race in progress as a ghost such as in iRacing, where the race participants aren't affected by your presence and you don't end up on the leaderboard, I only see this as a positive feature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

The inability to join a race in the last minutes of qualifying or practice or even before a race starts is frustrating. The amount whom try to join then can't on open servers is just plain silly. Just let ppl join and put them at the back of the grid.

The argument they need to do some practice laps is a fair point...but in traffic the braking points and line aren't the same anyway. I can't fathom why a lot of drivers do a practice and qualify session then crash or get punted on the first lap then disconnect even with damage off. The majority of the time they will still find another person to race with unless ironically they have all quit too. Particularly annoying when the lobby is full and other ppl can't join and then it's nearly empty half way through a race and other drivers could have joined who would finish the race.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Whilst I keep my fingers crossed for the same thing in future, the licenced Lotus' we have so far are from the Classic Team Lotus IP, which I believe only covers cars from around 1990. I may be mistaken with the years, but that's definitely different to the modern Lotus IP holder. If Reiza had the inclination though, I'm sure a deal could be done.

13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Many of AMS Unofficial's AMS1 races are open to all, but drivers who are new must join the Practise session or the server will kick them. Regular drivers can join during qualification although this does cause a glitch when people do it - this can sometimes disturb players trying to get their best lap time..

The JustRace service takes care of the above - perhaps AMS2 could have a similar "Newbies must join Practise, Quali and Race" option?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ahpigsy

ahpigsy Member

Are these cars just a copy from PC2?

• Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is this just a snarky comment?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Post #54 in this RD thread might be interesting for you.^^

So to answer it: Kind of...but the regions, that matter (physics and sound, overall polish etc.), will be different, in whatsoever way. (Let's be honest, the car models of pCars2 are definetly not ugly at all and a cooperation like this might be actually a benefit for the user)
    I think, it's a legitimate question, according to the similarities, that you can spot. :)

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  17. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am in no way a league runner, but maybe a helicopter camera would help with stewarding? The tracks don't have to look good in it, as long as one can see the track limits and cars clearly. Maybe it's more nice-to-have than must-have.

18. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for posting that, I rarely ever go to RD, so I wasn't aware of that post. Really interesting, especially when Renato said: "I’d hope every sim racer is able to nurture some appreciation for how exceptional it is for a studio of their [SMS] success to hand their technology and a number of assets to another small studio like ours and let we run with it as we see fit."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

a THIRD of 50, BASED on SMS is not too much ;) to call someone as copycat

• Like Like x 1
  20. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

It is not the model counting, it is physics, stability, and other features of the game(ok this is developing now). I would not bother with even all 3D models are coming from pc2. Reiza may polish those assets even they are able to use out of the box.
    here is a video comparing acc and pc2 models and I think pc2 models are in a very good condition for a 3 years older game;

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1