1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2020 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 1, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

:whistle:
    Because...
    ...is a very unrespectful and patronizing way of "asking" for desired improvements, that are founded on misinformation in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Please accept some gentle ribbing as we all get (sometimes too) passionate about our sim racing, but please also think before putting yourself (or iRacing) on such a pedestal. It's the latter that is the problem.

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

So iRacings socalled pre 2008 Historic Silverstone track(s) was not laserscanned?
    Then this must be utterly fake news - or maybe alternative facts.
    Right? :whistle:
    iRacing – Updated Silverstone Track – Preview Video - Bsimracing

ByTheWay: Dobi dobi doo:rolleyes:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

You realise you started this entire thing by stating the 91 version was laserscanned, right?

Nobody is saying there are no 2003-2009 laserscans. Only that there is no 1991 scan which is what you claimed. Maybe it is your english, I dunno, but that is how you expressed it.

Purely for information, here is the evolution of the track over all its existence: Silverstone

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Laser scans are quite overrated as tracks constantly evolve through resurfacing, kerb changes, etc. The general layout and elevation changes I feel are more important.

Regarding what Bruno was saying about the 1991 layout being laser scanned - it is possible to laser scan a track without use of a time machine, so long as the original track is still there. It is often the case that unused sections of track are just left, like the original Beckets that was pretty much underneath a grandstand for years, and many of the old bits of Silverstone remained too. These old bits could be laser scanned, more for general layout than bump accuracy.

I haven't done the research to compare the Reiza versions to the 'real' ones, but this website is really good for historical comparisons:

Silverstone

• Like Like x 1
  6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How can you think about that this one is a real historic track?
    In 1991, had there been paved runoffs, was there an Abbey-chicane, a cutted Copse- and Stowe-corner, a round Luffield-complex?? -- NO, nothing.
    In 1994 Copse was modified the first time, a hard right-hander. Stowe was also modified to a hard right-hander. Abbey-chicane was added as well as a cutted Priory-Brooklands.
    In 1996 Stowe was changed to todays layout. In 1997 the complex of Priory-Brooklands-Luffield changed to todays appereance.
    And the first paved runoffs were added in 2002.
    The iRacing "historic" layout is a fake. It's the 2003-2009 one without Abbey-chicane, that's all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ByTheWay: Do you even read your own posts?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry guys, i have to post it, it was too tempting, to not alter it :D

Meanwhile on certain ...platforms:
    AMS2.jpg

Made from the original, that was about Cyberpunk 2077 ^^'
    5f2ea5ff9f002c2205b353ffe5d30206e24f8022_2_524x1000.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't know what to say about this. I am biased. I know simulation racing / flying games are never finished cause of all the data and what not, and new cars and new content. Eventually you have a last build you can call 'finished'

A normie singleplayer game has to be playable right from the start cause it has things like a story, gameplaymechanics and anything else. It's not fun to redo half the game cause a quest is not working. Etc. Imagine Half Life 2 be as buggy as Cyberpunk I would go crazy, lol. On the other side there's Diablo II: LoD which was kinda 'buggy' right from the start. Overpowered items and all that. There's still some bugs to find, but not gamebreaking.

Ideally AMS 2 would be as good in Feb 2020 as it will be at the end of 2021.. but like I said I am a bit biased and love to be part of the development of it. Same as I was with Dirt Rally 1. Even Dirt Rally 2 isn't finished and Codies have already abandon it. After a small year.

Ahh well. Racing, Train and Flying will alwyays be an ongoing project. Fantasy games yeah need to be fully playable right from the start. But I won't have minded if AMS 2 or whatever sim game was 100% correct at release, lol. Devs be like: Release and cash. Next project now.

10. GForce134

GForce134 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I mean, the track IS laserscanned. It was laserscanned in 2008, when most of the old track still existed. The version in iRacing is the "Historic Grand Prix" layout that existed from 1997 till 2009, you can find it here:
    Silverstone

But I agree, we need the version with the wider chicane at Club and no chicane at Abbey, it provides some amazing racing :)

11. alink

You mean this Historical layout, hmm don't know if it is really needed.
    Silv_his.JPG
    I think, this 1987-1990 layout would be much better to have.
    Silv_88.JPG

12. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

....look my son, this is the world of simracing in all its glory. People arguing about things. Look to your right, a discussion is starting about how many lines of paint the curb has, it will be very interesting.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. alink

....hey, it's a big difference if the curbs are red/white, blue/white, yellow/green/white, black/yellow, yellow/red,.....
    It has an influence to my visiual sense directly. It marks the edge of the track, the path I want to drive without overriding it. But if then someone makes some splash of color beside the curb, down on the track, this makes me absolut confuse!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

This conversation is very reminiscent of the "Trees in AC's Nordschleife" discussion.:D

15. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Because
    "Its all gone a bit Pete Tong"
    so
    @Renato Simioni
    Could we have with this (or later) more rubber on the racing line please.

10 Days :) Even people that don"t celebrate the holiday will look forward to this

• Like Like x 3
  16. GForce134

GForce134 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have never driven that one in any sim, but it looks awesome also! I say we need both :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. alink

"Are you waiting for...XMas?"
    Never did Dukes 24 year old spell match better:)

18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe @GForce134 are you me?:p
    Because you just nailed it - even better than myself.
    Thank you.
    Hey @alink I agre with you that the more layouts the better but compared to your socalled Historic layout (= like iRacings former laserscan) then your 1987-1990 layout would be much more boring to race(IMO).
    I say it because the 3x oldest of AMS2s Silverstone layouts are fun to drive - but at least if I am fully honest also slightly boring. And your 1987-1990 is very close to these rather ancient "prehistoric" and have not so much challenges(IMO, IMO).:D

19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

In short no, I don't do it ---- but staying op on topic
    Might change my mind if this was dropped off to my drive. Mercedes-Benz-CLK-LM_10.jpg

Used Mercedes-Benz Clk GTR | Silver
    Dam, too late SOLD
    So gt1 ams2 instead:D better looking than gtr version anyway!

Edit £ 4-5 million likely paid

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. alink

Please, think about what you want to have, once.
    You can wish the "historic layout" which was used 2003-2009 without Club- and Abbey-Chicane. But don't tell everybody that THIS is the real 1991 layout and REIZAs 1991 is wrong, that's a mistake! And that's the big hype we have here now! It's a modified 2003-2009 layout, nothing else.
    It's your right to have this wish, it's legal to communicate, but you should stay in real and not fantasy.