1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Right, earlier versions prior to v44 did not load up on speed alone and we did not add anything in to prevent that load going too high, as was done for the downforce, so it seems that would have been smart to do :)

But it def. should help to lower the gain to 30.

2. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Houston i have a problem .... o_O

[​IMG]

Any suggestions???
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

HAHAHA, that's a good one 8)
    The yaw_scale is how much you feel the yaw.
    The relax center is how much it relaxes it right around center, so you get a slightly more stable feeling center, less flimsy.

So if you feel you have too little yaw feel, increase the yaw_scale.

To avoid oversteering, depending on your car of choice, it can help to increase the value for feel of grip loss on oversteer. It is default at 0.1, but try 0.3 or maybe even 0.4.

I drive like an ass myself, so good thing you didn't paint me in that picture as well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 3StringCigar

3StringCigar New Member

v45 has made a huge difference for me and my CSW2.5/Elite LC. In the past, I never felt in control. I have started conservatively with Gain 50 LFB 50 FX 70 Damp 50 and will tweek from there.

I made one change and upped (scrub_scale 0.5) from 0.3. This is a change I always make as I like more scrub, but for the first time, I may revert it back to 0.3, I will let you know. Testing: Spielberg Porsche 911GT3.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Apart from what Karsten suggested already, i would add also to try with very low damping values (0-20) to see if that helps

6. Gillish

Gillish Member

Ok, tried again today with different settings:

Started off with gain 30, LFB 50, FX 50 and damping 0.

Went back to Bathurst with the McLaren F1 to have apples-to-apples comparison.
    First impression with these settings; the nice feeling of grip is not there for me, it's just really weak FFB.
    Also, the histogram on the telemetry-page of the HUD shows the FFB signal is only in the lower 3 bins. After this I upped to LFB to 70, which feels a little better, at least a bit more feeling of weight. (but less informative than the gain 75 / lfb 30 I was using before).

Going over the mountain at Bathurst with dips and crests, I still feel hardly any loading/unloading in the wheel. Also, maybe more telling: when clipping high curbs (so not just rumble strips, but the more sausage-curb-like ones, there is no jolt in the steering wheel. Similarly, when the front of the car is bouncing after such a curb-jump, the FFB is not transmitting that.

All this time, the FFB histogram shows almost all signal content in the first 3 bins, none in the highest 2.

This is with the mid-end FFB file, dampig at 0 all the time. Thurstmaster settings 75/100/100/0/0.

So overall these changes don't seem to help the feeling of loading, but they harm the feeling of grip which I really like with the v45 file and 75 gain / 30 lfb.

7. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

I posted a while ago that .31 was the best for me with the DD2 and have tested versions since 41 including the recent 45 .

I still side with version 31 as the others seem to lack weight/resistance when cornering.

These are my settings and other DD2 posts Fanatec DD2 Settings - Share yours

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Still copy that too, maybe start from there again Karsten, it sure has some magic in it✌️ For example you can watch me sip some coffee still feeling all of my tyres do...when suddenly

With 31 AMS 2 is the king of FFB for sure!

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok,

Please try these 2 small changes in the mid file & let me know what that does for you:
    set "limit_high_df" to 0.3
    set "velocity_scale" to 0.0

try at different in-game gains, maybe ~50 at first.

Cheers,

-K

10. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey inthebagbud,

can you try increasing the 2 balance values in the v45 file?
    I would like to understand if this is a simple difference or if there's more to it.

They are both at 0.02, please try at 0.06 or so for both of them.

Thanks

11. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried that too, no way, cant feel what tyres do when cornering, wheel is gettin much too lite,
    beside that I hate this effect anyway. Beside that i am on DD 1 and using doubled settings of inthebaghud.

12. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Mikk,

Ok, trying hard to understand what exact differences you like more in v31 and so on, just pm'ed you with it.

13. Karsten Hvidberg

inthebagbud, one additional thought is that maybe adjust the LFB down & gain up?
    Lowering lfb and then increasing the gain will give you the same center & then more force on cornering. The gain is basically what sets the cornering force. Then the LFB can be used to set how the center feels.

14. psone

psone Guest

@Mikk Schleifer can you share v31 its gone from the first page, I've been trying to find a setting I like with v40s but I just can't dial it in. At the moment I prefer default although that can be a little over the top at times.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey psone,

This is really weird to me, can you share the settings you've tried with the v45 as well as car example?

16. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

are you maybe a masochist? :D

on DD2 and 100 FF and gain 30 thats pretty strong. Can I just ask what exactly you are looking for? Real race cars have relatively light steering including lower spec formula. The resistance in FFB that tries to make up for G effects is nice, but actual lateral G effects in GT cars for example arent too strong, not the level you the DD2 at :)

high DF formula feels a bit more of course.

17. psone

psone Guest

Hey Karsten, so last night I tried out v45 with the Caterham Superlight which is what I've been driving the most recently.

Settings wise I tried a number of different combinations a mix of low gain/high lfb and vice versa. I'm using a CSL Elite with the Mid profile. I like how increasing lfb fills the center, that feels quite natural. With default I have to use quite a bit of damping to sort the center out and even still theres a bit of a clunk in the middle. Overall I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with your most recent files just to my taste, they're a little lifeless. It feels very like I expect a steering wheel to feel, which is an achievement in itself, and I think if I had a motion rig this would be ideal, but I don't and at times its a bit like I'm driving a golf safely...if that makes sense. I think its more just a matter of taste than anything else. I've had the same feeling with all of the most recent files I've tried.

I also realise I could probably be getting a lot more out of the custom files by diving in and tweaking them myself, I just don't have the time to go that route at the moment unfortunately. Trying to drive more, tweak less with the time I have available. :)

18. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, got it, I would always say "use Default" if anybody's happy with it, and avoid the fuzz :)
    But we can def. tweak mid file to be more lively. It's hard to know what is feeling lifeless, since on my DD it feels just great.
    Is it the kerbs & then suspension not being pronounced enough? or the scrub?
    Just curious.

19. psone

psone Guest

Of course.

I think there's probably an amount of nuance that's lost on lower end wheels, but by the same token there seem to be plenty of people on lower end wheels who much prefer these custom files. So in the end it's a matter of preference.

I will try to spend some time comparing default vs v45 and if possible some of the older custom files. Interested in testing v31 and I'll also try to go back and find the last custom file that I favoured over default and see if I can better describe what I'm experiencing.

20. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I also always revert back to version 31

• Informative Informative x 1