1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.1.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.1.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jan 30, 2021.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi REIZA,
    as in an older post I loved to see that the chevette got some juniors. So I hope that the Lotus 23 also get some brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, just to get a full field of Mini-Cooper S and Lotus 23.
    And of course, some of the P2 Metalmoro and Sigma as well as the P3 Roco cars need also some more offsprings....
    KEEP GOING! :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrjiffy6

mrjiffy6 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Setup appears to be broken for Porsche GT3 car on main build. Tested with TC, ABS and differential settings only. Changing the values works OK (values changes and are modified OK if you exit setup screen and go back to see settings are well applied). However, once you return on the track and go back to pits, values are reverted to default. Values changes are not reflected on the track either, car behaves the same despite any changes to TC, ABS or differential settings.

Problem occurs only with the Porsche GT3 car on main build, whatever track. BETA works just fine for all the mentioned above issues.

MAIN build: 1.1.1.0.1502
    BETA build: 1.1.1.0.1500

EDIT: moved this report to the appropriate thread. Moderators please delete this post

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  3. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

interesting. with the sigma p1 I adjusted the camber toward positive (think it ended at -.4; but toward positive anyway) and it got the rear right tyre heating up - they stayed at the same temp for inside middle and outside while all other tyres were warming as normal (santa cruz turns mostly to left; this is rear right tyre). It also drove better as one may expect and the circuit I used it on had plenty of turns. Camber in that case was adjustment 7 or 8 out of maybe 9 setup changes in total, so I figured I had it narrowed down.

Or you did not take measurement after a few laps? It seems your camber is off, if you want better temp spread overall camber def does the trick.

On my telemetry it was doing the same thing. Now, it drove wonderfully anyway, and when I did this to satisfy the numbers on screen it did drive better, so its my guess the contact patch was off in some manner.

Of course the telemetry and all the rest, setup, etc is so much better this patch. But it could well have been my actual setup lifted the wheel off the ground (lol!) I don't know - BUT! x2 it was driving increasingly better all along.

So in the picture - if its not after a couple of laps, then it could well be the camber.

I did my observations after a couple of laps for that particular setup I used - and even then after about 15-20 laps overall, as I was dialing it in for a little race - if you return to pit it will reset the temps, so over those 10+ laps I did go back to pits and I checked telemetry all the time. And yes - lol - in the race I flogged them in a very good battle which it took me until last two laps with 100 AI aggression.

4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

black on black looks a little odd to me for the P3 class emblem..

ams2_Ui_P3_black_class_colour.jpg

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

A little late to the party, but I also wanted to congratulate everyone on the Reiza team (as well as all of our wonderful testers) on the latest update! The two new G40s certainly are a nice addition, and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the (first?) two Group C cars (though I had hoped it would be the more iconic 956 rather than its successor, but I guess the 962C makes more sense when pitted against the Sauber C9 - and possibly other late 80s prototypes at a later time).

Yesterday I spent a bit of time with AMS2 and I'd like to share my (amateurish) observations so far; maybe some of it will prove useful.

Brands Hatch: Since this is my go-to testing track I was nervous about the improvements to the road mesh noise. My default testing vehicle is the Brazilian Sprint Car since it has good, detailed FFB and well-balanced behavior - and it has a rather hard suspension, so rough tracks will generate lots of bouncing.

I was quite surprised - almost shocked - how much more pleasant it is to drive this track/car combination now! Aside from one issue I noticed with the car itself (more about that later) the experience was fantastic, so I tried a few other cars, some of which are notoriously 'bouncy' on rough tracks.
    If you can give Adelaide the same kind of treatment I'm a happy man! :D

The F-Reiza handles like a dream now. Probably the best it has ever felt. And the visual 'bounciness' isn't too bad at all on Brands Hatch now!

The F-Ultimate is probably still the worst offender when it comes to the visual aspects of racing on a rough track, but it has improved considerably. So much, in fact, that I consider it okay to race now. Might be getting a little tiresome over the distance of a race, but that's to be expected from tracks with a rough surface.

The two Cup Porsches are weird now. They are still reasonably stable, but suffer from a lot of understeer now (at least with their default setup) that I can't seem to understand. They are slow to turn in, but there is more to that... It feels like they aren't generating enough grip on the front, or as if they are constantly under heavy acceleration. While I don't have hard numbers, it seems like they can not take corners at the speeds they should be able to, not even close. Really weird.

Generally speaking, the adjustments to driveline and differential modeling (such as the reduction of crankshaft mass) are fantastic! This is a real game-changer, particularly when going through slow turns (like Brand's Druids corner). Where I would often slightly miss the turn-in point and thus the apex in some turns, I can now more easily adjust my trajectory throughout the corner using the throttle. Before the update it used to be hit-and-miss due to the large amount of drivetrain inertia.
    On the other hand, this will probably also make certain adjustments necessary, at least on some vehicles. But overall I'd say this improvement is well worth the extra effort.

The Ginetta G40 Cup and GT5: These are supposed to be fun and relatively easy to race if I'm not mistaken. Right now, the essence is there but a few things mean they fall short of the marker - for now, at least.

First off, the tires. Both cars are supposed to have slicks, yet the constant squealing when breaking or cornering, not to mention the distinct lack of grip, makes it feel as though they are running on (cheap and worn-out) road tires. The braking issue could probably be resolved by lowering the brake pressure and fine-tuning the bias, but if the tires supplied proper grip this shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Secondly it is incredibly hard to get these tires up to working temperatures. I had my practice sessions set to accelerated random weather, so I was experiencing both cold as well as hot climate (42°C track temperature), and even under perfect conditions the tires just refuse to retain enough heat. After almost a dozen laps the temps barely surpassed 50°C (at least if I am remembering correctly). Even when abusing them on purpose or changing the pressures by +/- 0.2 bar this doesn't seem to achieve much. So part of the grip problem is most likely related to their inability to heat up properly.

Gear ratios: The G40 Cup has a manual gear box with 5 gears, and even on Brands Hatch GP I found the final gear ratio to be too short. For tracks with longer straights the default gearing is definitely too short, though from what I have seen it can be adjusted.
    The G40 GT5, on the other hand, has a fixed final gear ratio, and those 6 gears are definitely far, far too long for the power this car has to offer. I assume this is the default ratio of the real car, though? Still, makes me wonder why it's that long to begin with.

Last but not least, back to what I said earlier about the Sprint Car. So far I have only tested this recent iteration of the car on Brands Hatch GP, but it exhibits a very strange behavior on my G25 wheel. On certain parts of the track, like the straight when going towards Hawthorns, the steering will start to oscillate from one side to the other. The effect isn't very strong, but it has taken me by surprise and resulted in me leaving the track more than once during my tests. Strangely enough, this does not seem to be the case with the other vehicles I tried. (So it may be related to the specific geometry of this car's suspension, I presume?)

The FFB I use is the default one - not a custom file - though I forgot to screenshot my exact settings (sorry!). If there is anything else I can do to help figure out what's going on here, let me know.

That's it. Quite a bit for such a short amount of time, and surely a lot of it subjective, but I still hope it helps. Looking forward to spending more time with AMS2 in the future, that's for sure. :D

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I guess I do not understand this live track/green track thing.
    This morning, I did a race weekend practice session with AI. Practice time = 1 hour, tyre wear and fuel usage authentic. Visually, the track improved, after some time I could see the ideal line and the skidmarks of the cars on the street. Looks great.:)
    But when it came to laptimes, there was no big difference between early session and afterwards. My times always were within the same range, depending on how much mistakes I made (came to pits for new tyres regularly). The AI could not improve their times at the end of the training, too. Watched them on the monitor in pits and most of them set their best time during the first and early fast laps.
    Did not have time to do qualifying and race afterwards because of work I have to do.

When it comes to physics/laptimes, does the track just improve from one session to the next? Might 1 hour session time just be too short to see big improvements? Or is the improvement of the track during session minimal and does not have that much effect I stupidly thought it would have?

Edit: This morning...
    Lockdown Ritual:
    1. Get up, start the pc and play AMS 2.
    2. Shower/ teeth brushing
    3. Start my daily work :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coanda

.. so you like it..

man I need 7 hours to read some of the posts here.. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

..but afterwards, you know everything. Including things you never wanted to know.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly, it shouldn't be necessary to do 1 hour(!!!) practice sessions just to get a reasonable rubbered-in track. As a wise philosopher once said, "Ain't nobody got no time for dat". Please figure out a way to do accelerated simulation of track evolution and let us control track grip levels using a convenient dropdown, like in AC+CM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AI is always off pace in the first session, as per Renato's post here: Official AI Report Topic
    This is going to be fixed shortly, I believe.

Edit: reading again your post, this might be a different issue sorry. Anyway, will keep this info here as it might help someone eventually.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

yes, was not talking about the ai being off pace, but improvement of track has no effect on their driving. i know that some hotfix regarding grip levels and ai behaviour will come.
    now found the time to do a short qualifying and race: in qualifying, they set their fastest time quite early, in race they do similar laptimes from beginning to end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

As far as I know AI run an oversimplified physics, way different from player so it is difficult to calibrate to act like the player on track since it doesn't suffer the common issues you can encounter while on track (as example track status).
    On AMS1 it was similar to player one so times and car behaviour was prettily similar for AI compared to human player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh dear I was'nt sure if it was just cause id tried a track and car combo i had'nt before the update, but after going back to combos setting, race lengths and all that i knew worked before im afraid to say the is a rather severe probelm after the update. Before A.I. with certain cars would just give up in the rain, now if i make it rain halfway through a session they are giving up all over the place, and i mean the race is over, you've won if it rains, experienced at Oulton with G40's and Velopark with MCR S2000's ( which previously were ok, not perfect, but nowhere near like this). Anyone else experienced anything like this since the update~?

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

"Giving up" means they crash and have a DNF?

15. Coanda

I suggest you submit a Ai report Official AI Report Topic for the devs to look into it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tarmac Terrorist

No i mean they just turn into snails, just give up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tarmac Terrorist

Will do mate, i do wonder if its a side effect of summit in the update, unexpected byproduct of a change made to summit else

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I can confirm this.
    I had that in a 12 lap Ginetta GT40 cup race in Santa Cruz with Random weather, starting last on the grid.
    Started pissing down about 5 laps in.
    Most of the AI pitted. The ones who didn't were pottering around at about 40kph. I stayed out on slicks (seemed to have more grip than I should have)
    The track dried out the last 3 or 4 laps and their pace picked up again.
    Haven't had a chance to reproduce and report in the AI thread yet, but definitely something amiss.

19. Coanda

Can we please have finer pitch control on the cockpit/helmet camera adjustment..? Currently there is a fair degree of change with every adjustment. It makes it difficult to find the sweet spot in some vehicles..

I imagine this would take little coding as you will just instruct the camera to move less on each keystroke change..

0.5 degree of change would be good. 0.1 degree of change would be sweeeeeet as.. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
  20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Haha good one. :p
    OK then I´ll challenge you instead of being offended.
    I think I have mentioned that because I use a 100% handcontrolled thr/brake (leg injuries) then there is some track configurations that I suck (somewhat ;)).
    SilverstoneGP, SpielbergGP and even worse Interlagos is the worst.
    But lets take Spielberg Historic where I recently (yesterday) set a new WP even with the newly trashed F-Reiza.
    I promise that I will check if you even come near my laptime :p
    And you are allowed to set a laptime even 4 oclock in the morning :rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Im sorry if my use of the word "trash" offended you. But Im sure that if you was able to speak my main language danish - then you would also from time to time by incident use terms that the language police would say was too harsh:p

• Funny Funny x 1