1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 - User Livery Overrides

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Rob Thompson, Dec 31, 2020.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

@Wolfgang Herold don't shoot me for this....
    but should there not be a blank image cutout for all cars so we have a uniform look for the car selection screens? I mean, if i make a livery and make a preview picture from a slightly different angle it will make the whole page look messy!! This is a big problem in AC (IMO) where car previews all come from different angles.
    Can't there be a template for all car for the preview? ATM most livery creators seem to be very close but for some getting the right angle may not always be spot on.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I may be wrong but shouldn't this be available for all cars? I think AMS2 is in such a unique position with its non moddable platform (ish) to stay uniform and polished, but if liveries are available for the community to make (awesome) but previews of them from different angles then that polish and uniformity will soon be lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

why should i shoot somebody. ;)
    Nice idea, but wrong direction.
    All we need is a showroom option for a predefined fixed camera position and the option to set the background to single color.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ertracing2016

ertracing2016 New Member

here is what. I have done. Skin is not showing up. what have i done wrong. i have saved it as montana.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <USER_OVERRIDES>

<!--
    Create a copy of this file without the '_dist' part and place it beside this one

eg 'montana_dist.xml'
    should become
    'montana.xml'

Define a 'LIVERY_OVERRIDE' section for each default livery you wish to replace.

A LIVERY_OVERRIDE definition must be based on one of the base liveries provided which will provide
    variations where required. The LIVERY attribute determines which base game livery is replaced.
    A NAME attribute must be set

Within a LIVERY_OVERRIDE definition each desired texture override
    should be defined in a TEXTURE element. Any texture not present will use the texture from
    the BASELIVERY.

Additionally a PREVIEWIMAGE element with a PATH attribute can be used to note a texture for use
    in the game's UI. (2048 x 600 px )

Texture PATH attributes are relative to this file's directory. Further sub-directories are
    permissable and their structure is left to the users own preference.

LIVERY IDs can be viewed in the game UI by running the game with -showLiveryIDs switch/launch option

AVAILABLE BASE LIVERIES
    =======================

Default: Default body only skin
    Available textures:
    BODY - the main external body/window paint texture
    - 4096 x 4096
    - DXT1 with MIPs

WindowGlass: Windscreen skin
    Available textures:
    BODY - the main window glass paint texture
    - 2048 x 2048
    - DXT5 with MIPs

-->

<LIVERY_OVERRIDE LIVERY="51" NAME=""Emerson Racing Team" BASELIVERY="Default">
    <PREVIEWIMAGE PATH="ertmon\ertmonp.dds" />
    <TEXTURE NAME="BODY" PATH="ertmon\ertmon.dds" />
    </LIVERY_OVERRIDE> -->

</USER_OVERRIDES>

5. Rober

Rober Member

you need to delete that "-->" in bold at the end of this line, just </LIVERY_OVERRIDE> and there is a doble "" in NAME=""Emerson Racing Team"

You can use some online validator like XmlLint - Awesome XML Formatting & Beautification

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

<LIVERY_OVERRIDE LIVERY = "51" NAME = "" Emerson Racing Team "BASELIVERY =" Par défaut ">
    <LIVERY_OVERRIDE LIVERY = "51" NAME = " Emerson Racing Team "BASELIVERY =" Par défaut ">

7. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Has anybody got any tips for lining up colours between different panels? I have Photoshop on a different PC upstairs, so it's taking a lot of guessing, testing, running back and forth. The masking often doesn't seem to line up, even on each side of the car. asda.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wolfgang Herold

its trail&error.
    Many uv maps are not mirrored.
    For painting i suggest to install steam and AMS2 on your workPC to save time ;)
    And use vector shapes for lines. That are easier to move.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

In both the GTP mod for NR2003 and iRacing I used a lot of time and energy to paint my own cars.
    And I must admit that sometime I used a lot more time painting my cars than driving them.:D
    But in these sims the painting tools and specially how to get the paints into the sim was way more transparant and "polished" than in AMS2 - at the current stage.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: As I evaluate the painting status in AMS2 I consider it more or less as hacking a racing game not created for custom and/or extra paints.
    And eventhough I respect people who bother to mess with this awkward painting "hacking" I admit that I consider it more or less as a joke - mainly because the devs dont want to use time creating an integrated paint importing tool.;)

L79_CVT-testCar onTrack.jpg kussekareten.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jean-Yves Mercy

Compared to what PC2 offered, Reiza has already done a huge job, we are no longer limited to a single custom livery.
    All that remains is to have the possibility of adding and not just replacing liveries. It also lacks an efficient viewer, but other than that I don't see where the joke is, there aren't many Sims that offer to make their own liveries, or else it's limited, and Raceroom even less than the others. Better to use Photoshop.

11. Wolfgang Herold

BTW: thats BS.
    The only professional sim today with an integrated painting system is ACC.
    And to create really good ones for ACC, you'll have also to use external programs.
    All other don't have one. And Raceroom doesn't support it in any way.
    The rest is made for kids ( not meant bad ;) ) on xbox and ps, where you cannot import own graphics easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

So except to be able to add further custom paints than the standard ones then there are no shortcommings in AMS2 compared to most other racing games?
    OK :rolleyes:

But in as example iRacing and NR2003 and all its mods you just have to:
    1. Create a paint in the universal picture format tga
    2. And then place the tga file in the car paints folder
    3. Inside the game you just import the created tga file in any car you want.
    4. No there is no 4. - because to the contrary of as example AMS2 you dont have to mess with any goofy text syntax to tell the game exactly what paint file to use upon one of the restricted standard paints. The game know it allready because this import service is integrated.;)

ByTheWay: In the mentioned games you can create and paint as many cars as you want(and team crews too). And you dont have to mess with any fancy adons to as example PhotoShop or Gimp because every paint program can create a tga file.:)

BrunoBs Hippie car.jpg

13. Jean-Yves Mercy

Record a livery in 4096px in DDS, and then the same image in TGA, you will see the difference in weight. And the TGA compression completely destroys the images (degraded)
    10 MB in DDS
    32 MB in TGA (without compression)
    30 Cars on the track and you quickly saturate your memory.
    Not to mention the export options available in DDS, non-existent in TGA.
    But hey, you're right (as usual) Photoshop or Gimp really isn't needed.

14. Jean-Yves Mercy

ByTheWay: o_O
    No one said the livery system was perfect in AMS2, but the joke isn't from Reiza but from SMS.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Hopefully things do improve a lot in this area, many of the cars have terrible/limited livery options to start with. And at least in iRenting you're able to integrate with 'Trading Paints' so liveries can be viewed online, IMO we should be at least matching that kind of feature going forward... And ideally not so much messing about. Appreciate what we can do for the moment though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wolfgang Herold

TGA is a bit retro. :)
    I think they wrote that importer 20 years ago and stayed with that nonsense.
    Very progressive :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rob Fitness

Rob Fitness Active Member AMS2 Club Member

does this engine use AO layers? are they applied to the model as a whole and not on individual skins? or just it just not use them?

18. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Powershell

19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Right.
    But why do you post this plain bland statement?
    Has anybody postulated that AMS2´s "livery system was perfect" ?

ByTheWay: Or even is perfect?

20. FoolInjection

FoolInjection New Member

Is it not possible to skin the Brabham BT44 currently?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it... It's listed in the folders as just the "formula_retro".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021