1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe objective reality over YouTube influencers:

Idk what is wrong with your and Jimmy's AMS2 installations. It would explain the relentless negativity he has been heaping on the game since it's launch in EA.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Wet tires can still be pretty grippy in some situations. Again, it's an ongoing process, for that many cars, to make it more and more reasonable. JBs perception might be not that far off, when he thinks, the car should be more loose on a soaking wet track on wet tires.

Regarding slicks in the wet, they shouldn't be effective anymore, when the track is wet. (Discussable, if useless enough or not, of course)
    There was a past in AMS2, when slicks actually were still more effective in stormy weather, than full wets, but this should be solved now.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone can just chuck the car left and right like that.. As a proper test that is more meaningful why don't you drive somewhat normal lines whilst being super aggressive and see what happens..

I am more interested when you pinned the throttle in Bruxelles and mounted the kerb..

What happens in Pouhon or Blanchimont..?

I'd do it myself but I am watching F1 testing.. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mate, that was me trying to drive straight in 2nd gear. No chucking involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Coanda

ok good to know, ill give it a crack later.. Grip scenarios I've been looking at are only for the dry..

6. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Always makes me smile when so called experts, in some cases have no driving licence, have never driven a track/race car in the dry or wet...
    Yet seem to know how cars should drive in every given situation.
    Yet hardly even play sims and probably have more hours on this forum than hrs driven in AMS2.
    Seems to be alot of experts with very little knowledge.
    After all I wouldn't find myself giving advice to Elon Musk at a spacex convention.
    If AMS2 is to get better it needs alot more grip/stability in most situations, especially low speed.
    Reiza would be best just carrying on doing there own thing, they'll get there soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Coanda

I don't have a current driving licence so what are you saying..?

8. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Couldn't agree more. This has been an issue since day 1 of the madness engine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

They are, don't worry :)

Feedback is still important of course, but they aren't cluelessly changing driving dynamics, just because of it. It has to be a reasonably proven thing to be wrong, like the front aero stalling/lifting of the Gr.C cars, for example. (Or the LSD works like a Spool thing, we had)

Discussing, how something should or should not behave is also not wrong. Also simulation experience gives certain advantages, but people often like to forget, that the own preferences on a simulation experience aren't always matching the approach to perceived reality, that another foundation gives them and it's okay. (I'm for example praising AMS1 for it's natural feel in many situations, but it's some kind of also fooling myself sometimes)
    I agree...also in this point, things have improved in the recent builds actually. Best example for me is the 911 GT1-98, that was horrible through the hairpins at Donington and now tends to be pretty nice in comparison.
    Do you have any information, what makes you believe, it's the engine? (honestly asked)

• Like Like x 5
  10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ha, I forgot about those Dayton's, seems like too much hard work, gotta pull bits off the rig to do it. might just wait until they die now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

If I can be allowed quoting myself from a discussion about AMS2 low speed grip:;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. F1Aussie

Gov as in missus, or government? Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. F1Aussie

Wish I could watch that! The F1 testing that is, can't get it here in your fatherland.

14. TekNeil

Just specifically the 'Baseline' or 'Default' slow speed physics code that the engine provides. It has been improved upon by the REIZA team as you say, though obviously it's on a car by car basis which leaves it more/less noticeable car dependent. But it was always something I felt quite wrong regards realism.

15. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm happy it's not only me having a bad copy of AMS2.. Every time it gets wet and I'm on dry tires it becomes undrivable on and off the throttle. Had a race yesterday at Adelaide 88 with GT1. Light rain on dry = insta death... Even on intermediate and wet you can't floor it by any means. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

I don't know, if it really is traceable down to actual code of the physics and not mainly utilization and better understanding of the system itself. Physics engines are something, done by knowledgeable people, smarter than we all together here, discussing it.

Certainly, there will be things, that might work worse, than other things, that excel, but attention was payed for sure to deliver certain possibilites, to make more complex connected problems solvable (IMO, the tire damping was such a case, for example).

The task might be more for the right people, to understand these things better and better and how to use them properly. (Was often the case in the past, with several quirks and oddities, that didn't show the culprit right from the beginning)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Spot on.

18. TekNeil

Indeed. Though I do personally believe it's an inherent quirk of the base physics, specifically the tyre model, and as noted in your post above, I agree that this tweak to the base by REIZA was a nice step in the right direction. Especially as I think it can be further applied and made use of. Promising if nothing else.

19. Coanda

Since you guys are testing this combo i'll give it a crack..

It was not as wild for me, fairly manageable and I even drove some dry line, rubbed some kerbs and touched the brakes when I probably shouldn't have. Dry setup, slick tyres, less rear wing, more front wing compared to what was shown earlier and I didn't even change the brake balance. No real wild moments or spins.. Most of the time it felt like I was kinda on a wet tyre and not a slick and it was very manageable. If this was a race I would drive more sensible and there would be no problems at all. Maybe in 10 laps when the water built up more it won't be as under control.

When I talk about grip in AMS2 I am mainly talking about the rear end. Like I previously mentioned this is the first time doing this test so I never really had an opinion about this one. I also tested pinning the throttle, yeah it breaks traction easy and then you get a little side step and a wiggle then it all hooks up and off you go. No dramas mate..

I'll leave it to the experts to decide.. Apparently mine and others racing cv doesn't cut it to have an opinion around here. Not that I have ever really mentioned what I have driven. I think once I did mention I tested a EB Touring car a few times at Calder and Phillip Island.. Still nothing compares to driving in the Philippines. ;)

add: This was me deliberately being a lot more aggressive with the throttle to break traction and putting on some extra steering angle (1st lap)..

• Like Like x 3
  20. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Agreed to that personal prefs . Only the RL drivers of these beasts would actually know with confidence imo. They had the nuts to floor the gas time and time again. seems more RL vids with not too many of them loosing it wet or dry, yes it did happen but maybe not as often as one would think/expect. Car did have massive downforce that was effective.

His video is edited/cut he imo need not to have done that given his sim driving skills. &7 laps

yep. tried the (forgotten somewhat) Sigma on wets in rain and fog at Spa online (ai test).
    lose it once and the wets can overheat just trying to get back on track. Even wets need management in rain, (good) AI in this scenario are slow and were beaten at over 115/100 level and tested at 120/100 were beaten in Q not by me lol. Seems car and track specific at this level. More testing later will confirm Sigma ai level