1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

What I also find weird is the pulling to the side when you start going through the gears. I know it can be explained by physics. But I have never seen it in real life. Does anyone have footage from real life that shows it?

2. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

My only "racing" experience was driving carts years ago and the odd spin or two with road cars by pushing them too hard (very stupid and I learnt my lesson) so the following opinion is mostly just me being biased about the kind of behaviour that I like/dislike in other sims:

I agree that some cars in AMS2 do dance around a bit too much at lower speed corners and could use a bit more grip in those situations, but I also find that in some situations some cars almost seem to auto-correct too easily from slip-angles that IMO should result in an unrecoverable spin.

The experience that I prefer from sims like ACC, rF2 or R3E is that cars on those sims are more stable and don't kick out so much, but, if you do make a mistake and get sideways in a more extreme angle you can't recover so easily as you can in AMS2. Is this more realistic? I don't know, but what I'm saying is that what you say about cars needing more grip at lower speeds does not contradict that some people might have complaints about cars having too much grip or recovering too easily in some more extreme situations.

That said, after some weeks away from AMS2 I do notice improvements and am enjoying it more and more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure, if it is included in AMS2 properly, but cars also have a torque reaction (torque effect) to the engines rotation with some suspension concepts.

(Same deal like, why Helicopters need a rear rotor or a second rotor, spinning in the opposite direction to the other at the top)

Or do you mean, the car is going actually "sideways" in terms of the rear breaks loose?

4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

As the regulars here know one car I have queried is the M1 rear traction when dumping the clutch at 9,500 RPM. 500 HP on a slick tyre and in stormy weather and it hardly breaks traction.. Big rubber, good suspension and turbo lag might help however I still think it's not accurate.

apples and oranges yet I remember seeing in person a 500 hp LX Torana free wheeling 4th and 5th gear whilst trying to race down Calder Park start/finish straight in light rain and on a slick tyre..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Check this famous video out with Patrick Depailler and you will se this.
    Raceroom has it too - so I guess its not so hard for a racing game to simulate it.
    Hehe but I agree its a pain in the ... ah bottom :whistle:
    Video: this is how you drive in the wet

6. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That doesn't look wet in AMS2 book. There is no puddles and the track surface is not even really shining. Means it's in the early stages of wet and dry/intermediate are still partially gripping. When you distinctively hear water displacement, you see puddles and the track is really shiny that's when wets are better usually.
    TBH earlier I found some strange behaviors on wet at Spa 93. Did not check after the initial release but I have the feeling that something is different about the way that track gets wet compared to others and the way water is affecting the track

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Coanda

I just copied the conditions of what the last bloke posted...

Interesting, it maybe worth testing another track. Getting late here so I'll try it tomorrow..

8. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

RIP Murray Walker. Icon.

I’ll be in the Formula V12 tonight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Coanda

:eek: legend!

I met him once, nice as pie.. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Can confirm! He lived in the same village as my grandma, used to see him around, and at the local pub every now and then. A friend of mine has also just told me his grandad served with Walker in a tank crew during WW2. Legend indeed!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Split Second

Yeah I mean the torque reaction. I have never seen it in real life (footage) from group c cars. Does anyone has seen it and have footage from it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Split Second

Where do you see this torque effect?

13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Ahh come on.
    You must be able to see it yourself almost every time he does shift up.
    He even stay in too low a gear a lot ot times because the gear change will upset the car too much in critical situations.

ByTheWay: New glasses?:whistle:

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

O
    I did say "if AC has it right" and I did say I like it because it drives well. I and you don't know which is right, that was my whole point. But I was saying a car of this size,weight and power should be, logically, on the very tricky side when applying the throttle (like in AC) where AMS2 may kick a bit, it just won't spin from too much and too quickly applying throttle.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

I have driven the car myself....the video was just to show my point because I can't record triples. I may try record and drive one handed with my phone in the other though. It must be just a driving style thing or something because AMS2 is just so planted for me a YES it may kick a bit ,it is nothing like I would imagine a 900hp twin turbo car on slicks to react in the wet.

16. 2ndLastJedi

You need a licence now to drive Sims...didn't the government get that letter to you :rolleyes::p

17. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

This effect is also a issue I struggle with, it’s a helpful que in less powerful cars , but in the high torque cars it’s exaggerated I feel. It’s like it needs to taper off faster after initial sensation , either that or come on less strong .

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

This
    Also people think, I'm only a 14 yr old kid with no history of anything other than suckling to my mum :rolleyes: or maybe I have done something here and there irl. But yes I do spend too much time on the forum, only because I want AMS2 to be the same as AC of course:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Split Second

No I don't see it. Like this legend says I see lots of wheelspin and lack of traction but no torque effect.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried the C9 in AC. If anything, the throttle response is more lenient than in AMS2 with barely any wheel spin in 2nd. It only spins easily in AC because the rear suspension is weird and mushy by default so it goes sideways if you apply too much throttle when the rear is not exactly level (too easily if you ask me). I really don't agree that this is some kind of benchmark to be achieved.

• Disagree Disagree x 1