1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.3.5 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 31, 2021.

1. sk8

sk8 Member

That floaty feeling is maybe related to a lack of gyroscopic tyre forces. I can't feel the inertia of the spinning wheels. Feels like you've dragging the car along the track. Besides that, everything is coming together nicely. Jumping across the sims gives me the impression AMS2 is a unique flavour but actually quite similar. Had some incredible experiences so far and some frustrating ones. Over all I think it's time well spent(girlfriend disagreement). :D Also love that the devs aren't afraid to completely rework physics and ffb. I hope they continue to.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

com.gif

Uhm...i will not ask...

Have you any idea, how to measure/prove this reliably? (honestly asked) Would be helpful.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Maybe, maybe not. The real deal seems quite sensitive at low speed. And it seems that they're grippy and yet slip a lot all of the time.

What's more the throttle map is really sensitive in AMS2. If you check the in-game telemetry you'll notice that you easily get 200Nm of torque with just a slight press of the pedal at lower revs. It helps to play with your throttle sensitivity in controller settings if it's too sensitive for you across the board.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sk8

sk8 Member

None whatsoever. :oops::D It's just something that feels missing compared to other sims which do have it.
    It's an oscillation that increases with speed and has some effect on steering forces.
    The Britus 49 in rf2 is a good example of the gyroscopic tyre effect.
    AC has it too but not as detailed.

5. oez

Do you mean that the wheel becomes heavier as speed increases? So you start with a heavy steering wheel when stationary, cause you're fighting friction. Then as you start moving it gets lighter. And then again increasingly heavy as speed increases.

Whether you mean that or not I have always found that AMS2's FFB is more interested in yaw than front tire forces than other sims. Not that front tire forces aren't there, but they are not as pronounced. I like that as it helps me anticipate oversteer and balance the car between neutral and oversteer. This suits my driving style better than when FFB is more interested in front tire slip angle and grip.

I also suspect that this contributes to the lack of front bite people are reporting. It's not just the FFB of course, but it is a factor.

6. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

that’s interesting. I feel the custom ffb gives some of that gyro and less yaw combined with tire slip and grip, which suits my style better.

That video of the lotus suggests that reiza have nailed it in terms of lots of understeer and snap oversteer. ( oh crap I just made a opinion about a video :whistle:)
    But what it doesn’t tell me is when the driver is correcting the steering with opposite lock , is he fighting the wheel wanting to pull away like the effects in the game or is it just a case of the wheel being normal load and then feeling lite during opposite lock ?
    Because the latter is what I expect , but the game wants to work against me. I’ve struggled with that on all the oversteery cars.

7. oez

The overwhelming feeling for me with the default FFB is that when I turn the car with steering input or throttle starts rotating it, I can feel weight transfer to the opposite side. My wheel starts pulling to that direction. But it gently stops pulling when front tires are at perfect opposite lock. Or if there's no extra rotation, it's just a brief nudge towards the loaded side. This is unlike some sims where the center is really sharp and difficult to locate.

I don't care at all if this is what a real steering rack does. I need to feel the weight transfer and opposite lock as it's priceless seat of the pants information in oversteery cars. This is a breath of fresh air in sims in my opinion. iRacing with irFFB is similar though I don't like jumping so many hoops to enable it there.

One thing to keep in mind that there can be big differences between wheel makes and wheel bases. For example I tried AMS2 with a T300 once and it did not feel at all like my CSW. This is obvious to a degree as they are from completely different price ranges, but it almost felt like a different implementation altogether and I did not like it. I've also heard another opinion where the same player liked the FFB with his G27, but has never liked it with his DD1.

I think what you expect is a more typical approach. Similar to AMS1 or Raceroom. That's fine as we all like different things. But AMS2's default really is a nice alternative and goes well with oversteery content. Perhaps as physics and FFB progress cools down, it'll be easy enough for some genius to polish a more orthodox custom file that you prefer. I know that's already happening, but constant changes in AMS2 seem to be frustrating when it comes to custom FFB implementations.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  8. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For this I love you, mate!:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Yeah definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum.
    I spend all day with a wheel in my hand and always seek a familiar feel.
    Seat of the pants stuff apart from maybe kerbs is something I prefer to be just a subtle undercurrent to the feel of the front end.
    Control starts and ends with the front and there is a que from oversteer both visually and in the way the wheel loses resistance momentarily in my ideal feedback. .

customs have got close to peaking and have become more consistent and default is also improving in most aspects thanks to collaborative efforts I believe.
    But the best part about custom is you can tune it to tastes and different wheels.
    currently default lacks tuning settings that would make life far easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

At the risk of turning this to an emotional support forum where sim nerds talk about their feelings...

While the recent iterations of rFuktor 3.2 "feel" very good, it's not always conducive to actually driving better. Just anecdotally, I recently tried a different custom FFB file that I would describe as feeling less informative (fewer forces present). Nevertheless, the result was that I was quickly almost a second faster and the effect could be replicated on different cars on different tracks. So sometimes less can be more when it comes to actually shutting up and driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Any indication as to when they will start to fix the manual ignition/start up procedure and remove pit limiters for older vehicles..?

Copa Montana is a real b!tch to get going again after a spin. Pretty much race over. It has a mind of it's own and you have to engage 1st then back to Natural whilst clutching on & off and only then it sometimes decides to fires up.. Sometimes even if I clutch in on the spin and hold some revs it will stall..

12. Bart Hendrikx

Bart Hendrikx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dont spin the car, top gear top tip

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Coanda

Of course I blame the Ai.. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Coanda

Does anyone know what grade FL stands for in the Copa Classic class? I know you have B, C grades..

15. oez

It has been a full 22 minutes without a reply so might as well start guessing... those have 170 horsies so I'll guess: Faster than Light?

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Coanda

hehe i think you are on to something.. Fusca Light doesn't work cause the weight on the Ui is the same as B grade..

17. azaris

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. Coanda

19. Coanda

2018 regs below. your link shows max 4.2 lt S6 so probably for the Opela 4.1 lt s6..

2.1-Category A -up to 1000 cm³, plus vehicles manufactured up to 1950.
    2.2-Category B -up to 1700 cm³.
    2.3-Category C-up to 2100 cm³
    2.3-Category FL –With free displacement according to the level of preparation, according to technical regulation

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. azaris

I recall seeing a video where they even had water-cooling on a Fusca, what blasphemy.