1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    I am using the "Silver Raw - EasterFuktor - Momentum Rack 6.1" - April 3 2021 and what I am looking fo is a setting where I can increase the range of weight in the wheel. What I am finding is that the feel of the weight is good, it just doesn't feel dynamic. It feels more like an off/on switch when the weight is loaded up vs not. I am explaining this horrible I know, but maybe someone can offer advice to get a more varied range in the weight transfer?

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Is it lateral or longitudinal you mean?
    What in-game settings?

3. GodzillaGTR

Hi, thank you for the quick response.

I have a Thrustmaster TX wheel
    I have gain at 55
    Have tried LFB from 15 to 65 and it doesn't help
    FX I have also varied from 25 to 80

It is I guess the lateral weight. There is definitely pronounced difference between weight being laterally loaded vs not, but the best example I can think of that I am looking to solve is that when I trail brake for instance I expect a more gradual difference in the weight but what I end up experiencing is pretty much heavy weight, then it goes direct to light and in an F1 car it makes corner exits feel like a bit of a mystery and makes me feel like I am missing detail. In Rfactor2 the transition feels amazing and I would love to get near that.
    I hope this makes sense. :-(

4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I will have to try it to feel what you mean.
    What do you have in-game damping slider set at?
    (remember that is powersteering in this custom file)

A thought: Maybe lowering "brake_feel" is what you want? Try setting it to 0.3 or even lower.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  5. GodzillaGTR

Thank you. Lowering brake feel to 0.15, turning damping from 0 to 10 seemed to help although shouldn't that make it worse? It does feel better for me though. Thank you

6. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Karsten, thanks for your patience... :)
    the first solution not like me, but the second solution it was the key to keep the resistence to default value, because the clipping, even if present, was much reduced than before with this value of 200 ... now (that the crop is reduced) it made sense to reduce the static force in HiDF to further reduce peak forces, then i have increse the value of "static_force_reduction_hi_df" (previously, static reduction was absolutely not enough). Then, with these two changes and without reducing the LFB values, the solution is found. Halləluya ;)

I took advantage of this opportunity to further adjust other aspects, such as reducing the excessive effects for micro-jolts (too emphasized also by the use of tightening) so that, in the homogeneous and smooth straights, there were not too many, but not even too small, so that they were again well present and emphasized in the historical tracks and / or in those tracks characterized by high microbumps. Even viewing the histogram of the FFB output in the telemetry, the line is more coherent, less fluctuating and very reactive in detecting surfaces and effects.

Given the positive opinions of those who had tried my previous version, I took advantage of this file FFB review, to take into account their very useful criticisms and therefore to intensify the braking, the curbs and a little scrub and tear.

So summarizing:
    (limit_high_df_scale1 (blend (max 0 (* (/ 1 0.7) (- gain 0.3))) 1 200))
    (static_force_reduction_hi_df 0.15)
    (brake_feel 1.5)
    (front_drive_torque_feel 0.8)
    (micro_bumps_scale 0.15)
    (kerbs_surface_scale 3.4)
    (kerb_bump_scale 3.6)
    (scrub_scale 0.6)
    (tear_scale 1.9)

Logitech G920 and also for G29/G27/G25 (Date 06/04/2021)
    GAIN 65 LFB 50 FX 55 DP 55.*
    *Then, in the car setting, use +/- % of Gain for car to taste.

THANKS TO ALL ;)
    @Karsten Hvidberg if you can, put this file in 1^ page....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

@Stakanov and others with G29, I'd be interested to know what your feelings are with the Superkarts at somewhere like Adelaide? For me on default, it's actually unbearable on most tracks, I honestly can't bring myself to drive it anymore because it sounds/feels like my G29 is going to explode. (No matter what FFB settings I use).
    I appreciate the real life vibration etc, but having that come through a plastic wheel rather than a solid steering column/hubs is not a great feeling.
    Hoping the custom files may make it more bearable...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stakanov

I have never faced driving with karts ... initially, if you use default ffb you can try the last custom published file (Easter) .... in Karsten's file there is a special area dedicated to them ... anyway, tomorrow evening after 18:00 (here it is currently 03:00 AM) I try to dedicate myself a little and let's see what comes out ... among other things, since there is none, I would like to give Karsten some feedback on this part of the code inherent to karting and requested by him in the past ... see you tomorrow ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MCor57

MCor57 Active Member

Hello @Stakanov the previous version was very good, but as I wrote to you "I felt weak curb effects", I tried to increase "kerbs_surface_scale" and then "kerb_bump_scale" But the G29 had become very stiff, even lowering the FFB values inside of AMS2:confused: So I tried again with the default values of your file. I see that with the new file you have added some improvements in this regard, good! can't wait to try.

However, yesterday I had done other tests, I was finding myself quite well with many vehicles; Stock Car '19 and '20, Formula 3, GT3 (911 GT3R) and Mini Challange JCW ...:)

While as @TekNeil rightly says, karts in general, the G29 destroy it.

10. Stakanov

Try last version ... curb effects are now more highlighted ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Stakanov

UNLESS I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH GAME, FORGET FOR THE MOMENT THE KARTS - THEY ARE BROKEN :(:confused:

- SUPERKART
    1) Already at the start with the red lights and before they turn green there is damage to the right rear brake, when the lights turn green the irreparable damage warning immediately appears ...
    [​IMG]

2) Very strange thing, if I switch from @Karsten Hvidberg file's to Default the damage is no longer to the right rear brake but to the front right one
    [​IMG]

3) Even ignoring the damage and moving forward with the start you will notice that only one of the 4 wheels brakes and usually the rear left, the others do not brake practically by making only one lap you will have three frozen brakes and one reactive when braking
    [​IMG]

- ALL OTHER KARTS
    It is like superkart but without damage to the brake at the start ... braking problems remain instead, which affects only one wheel/brake

Do these tests looking at the Telemetry HUD, I don't want my game to have problems, but I don't think, THEN CAN YOU GIVE ME CONFIRMATION ??? IN THESE CONDITIONS IT IS USELESS TO TALK ABOUT FFB AS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GO STRAIGHT

12. TekNeil

@Stakanov Indeed. Sadly I've been reporting those issues since the very first day of early access. I even tweeted the issue to Reiza who asked for a follow up, I linked them to my many reports over the past 12+ months and yet the issues still exist.

Regards driving the superkart, I actually find the physics to be very good (I have driven one), but the brakes and related braking physics are a major issue, also the clutch does not work at all when it should. I can manage to drive it to get a sense of the FFB, which IMO needs a lot of optimisation.

I think the brake issues stem from the kart using a single brake and the code not being written for it, it (The brake) also acts as though the kart has two rear axles instead of one single solid axle.
    Anyway, I'm verging on 'Off topic' here apologies. But as I say, I can still get a sense of the FFB.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Stakanov

Staying on the subject of FFB, I understand what you want to tell me and/or research, but I think you would never have the feeling of what it could be ... as you well know the FFB is only the output of physics, I think the problems there are many, from the model of the tires, to the suspensions, the differentials, the steering ratio, the chassis, etc. etc. .... even the tires do not heat up as they should, many items of the auto settings are blocked and cannot be changed, there are even graphic problems when going into the pits, infinite tremors, etc etc. .... searching for what you say in these conditions I think it is an exercise in style that does not bring that, even if it were to give you an idea, it would certainly be distorted ... :(
    If the FFB of a working car already changes from day to night in the course of an update ... just imagine how different it could be on the Kart when they were to be fixed ... but here we must not do an update but rather a total overhaul!!!!!! ;)

14. TekNeil

Yeah, I'm just looking to take away some of the horrendous rattling/vibration at the moment (I will try the latest files:cool:), I can manage to drive around the many other issues for now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. bart1969

bart1969 New Member

IS THE FıLE NAMED FFB_CUSTOM_SETTıNGS.txt SLOWİNG DOWN CARS ONLY FOR ME?
    The system I use is simucube ows DD1. Could you please test it yourself and explain to me the reason for the car slowdown?
    1. First of all, select the track named "gionia external" from the "time trial" menu. (Because it's an oval track; it's not affected by your driving style.You'll see how slow the car stays even on the first try.)
    2. Choose any car (I chose the dllara f309. Is a stable and smooth car).
    3. Choose the fastest ghost car as your rival. (you will compare your speed with it.)
    No need to hold the 4th test too long. your car starts behind the starting line anyway.
    5. The race is started by selecting "default" from the ffb setup menu. (to see the actual speed of the car).
    6. race is started. After you pass the starting line, you will see that you are not very close to the ghost car and you are going close to it. (If you want, you can continue the race by completing the tour.You decide this)
    7. row, it's the order of selecting "custom" setting from ffb settings and activating ffb_custom_settings.txt.
    8. Race with the ghost car in the same way again.
    CONCLUSION: I've tested it many times. The file namedffb_custom_settings definitely slows down cars.
    What is the parameter affecting automobile physics?

16. Stakanov

Maybe you were wrong to quote me o_O ... my file is identical to the original file, no codebase changes have been modified, it is only tuned in the value for use on a Logitech or Lowend basis (not for DD and Highend whell) ... you have a Direct Drive and therefore the file from which to start should be Karsten's original one and if you need to later adapt it to your characteristics and tastes (not mine which is not suitable for DD steering wheels and you don't have to use it) ... regardless, I don't notice any slowdowns between the use of the default and the custom and if there were any I don't think it depends on Karsten's file ... indeed if you really want to know it since the game was updated to the latest version 1.1.3.5 in the straights I reach higher top speeds with many cars compared to previous versions ... here on G920 everything is ok!!!

Maybe Karsten or whoever compiles the file can answer you ...

EDIT: TO BE SURE, I REPLICATED THE TEST MADE BY YOU IN THE OVAL ... WITH SETTING DEFAULT AND CHANGING THE FFB PRESET FROM DEFAULT TO CUSTOM ... SAME RESULT BOTH AS ACCELERATION AND TOP SPEED ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  17. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Interesting, I always thought that it was only me observing this, but maybe this has something to do with always-more-complex extra calculations done by the custom files?
    EDIT: anyway, no way I go back to default, lol. :D

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Just for interest, are there others who perceive or have evidence that using a custom file (complex or even a simple one, who knows) affects the physics of the game (with slowdowns or any other observations)?

And if there is, please list system specs if not in your signature. It will be important to isolate if there is any commonality with hardware.

19. Stakanov

@Marc Collins ... I don't know if it can be useful, but in the SuperKart, which are broken with the brake damage at the start, if I switch from Custom to Default the damage is no longer to the right rear brake but to the right front one ... now I don't know if the anomaly is the custom file or the game ... you can see it from the photos in my post published just above ... o_O

20. Stakanov

Another thing, I don't know before, but after updating to version 1.1.3.5 and after the reset, I changed the graphics settings (for example anisotropic from 4x to 8x) and changed the effects on the steering wheel with custom ffb setting ... . i changed back from 8x to 16x and the ffb effect is back as before ... o_O