1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.4.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to v1.1.4.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Hey mate, i've seen you getting your SimHub settings together, can you lease share what you came up with ? Did you get the engine vibration just for idle?

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I have it pretty much how I want it now, Only have 5 effects active but want to try and sort out something for wheel slip, just finding that one a bit difficult ATM.
    I like the gear change kick and have road effects set up to be not too over the top either.
    Not at my racing PC ATM. Will pm you with my settings tonight. I do have a shaker on each corner, not sure how that compares to yours?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Firstly, thank you to Reiza for another fantastic update with a beautiful and completely unique car, as well as the usual improvements and progress. And it's only mid-month!

Secondly, on a tangent, is there visible tyre flex in AMS2?
    I thought I may have captured some here on the RR, but not sure if it's an illusion...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

There is yes, in some cars. It's easily visible in Classic F1 G3 if I'm not mistaken. I'm not familiar with the limits of this system visually, but it seems that just like with suspension animations that some tires just haven't been animated yet. Both suspension and tires are doing dynamic stuff under the hood animated or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

That is correct. In general, the judgement of driving behaviour is a string of fallacies: We mostly have real life onboards to judge from, and, as anyone who's ever tried to judge driving behaviour by watching onboards will tell you, that is not a fully reliable source. After all, if you tried to judge a sim by looking at onboards of said sim, people would (rightly so) not think your opinion to be reliable. It's just the same with real life onboards - they can give some hints, but they aren't able to provide any ultimate truths.

So, when it comes to driving a car in a sim, we're more or less judging its physics on intuition and plausability, which is different for most of us, and which might not always lead to accurate conclusions.

However: There is value in people's intuition. If several people feel a certain behaviour to be too pronounced, and you can't find evidence for this exact behaviour (like driver's statements, or identical onboards (even though these, as said above, can also be misleading)), it stands to reason that it's not as it should be. At least, it deserves a closer look.

That doesn't mean you can't criticize feedback. If someone bases his impressions solely on the behaviour of other sims, then he probably argues under flawed premises. Still, I don't feel like there's a lot of value in simply assuming things about the critic's sources/driving inability.

I'd rather like a reaction like this:
    1. Question whether this particular aspect of driving also feels weird to oneself.
    2. Maybe test it in the sim, and relate to the car's characteristics (like tire size and tire properties (Profile? Material? Era it comes from?), aerodynamic capabilities, maybe videos you saw about it, and maybe driver feedback on it).
    3. Judge on these grounds.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Haha, neither really!:D Although everything mentioned here should totally be a thing.
    Seems I've been experiencing an issue of sorts, where engine revs fluctuate somewhat when idling after cold start, or at least, that's when I experience it. Both game telemetry and software show perfectly steady input on the throttle, no jitter or nothing. I guess my system is haunted.
    It does shake loose some interesting concepts though...

7. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Very well put!

What I find problematic with onboards as well is that real life drivers have different styles and chase those via setups with help from a team of engineers. And then you often have the wide or otherwise tricky FOV/POV that is not great for judging rotation, small movements etc. Finally you can't see all the small inputs the driver is - and also importantly isn't - making that mostly only counts with their setup. This isn't to say that onboard is useless. Not at all. But as you say you need to analyze that stuff with critical thinking.

I agree with the rest as well. I will say that I have seen people change their minds about a car by simply driving them more or researching how it should be driven. So that's where that comes from if I ever doubt someone's familiarity. But yeah it is a bit rude to assume that there's lack of practice whenever someone criticizes a car. Personally I'm too adaptive to different cars to judge if they have decent default setups and whatnot so I should really hold myself back a bit.

And as you say it's one thing to not like a car based on how it needs to be driven and to question its alignment with reality - which is the common denominator we can all agree with in the end when subjectivity is thrown out the window.

Here's visible flex on this F-Trainer's right rear tire taken from a few months old replay (and yes it seems to be hovering a bit visually :oops:).
    ss101749.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Could you please re-check, if you have autoclutch off in the controls settings menu section?

9. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When competing against the AI in AMS2 (if the AI is set properly on a car/track combo that has been optimized) you can see the mid corner understeer(snap understeer) problem with your own car very easy as after you turn into the corner the car will understeer so much and you loose so much time that the AIs are all over you, practically pushing you to move faster.

10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Go down the bass shaker route and you will get something that feels a bit like what you explain, whilst not a cold starting rough idle, you can mimick something similar with a big cam lumpy idle. With the GT4 Camaro it is really noticeable. Even with cars with less than 8 pots it gives you a feeling of actually sitting in a car because you feel the shaking going through the driveline.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CrimsonEminence

This is no reliable indicator at all. What you describe is more down to AI calibration and AI tire fall-off due to the fact, that AI doesn't share the same tire (and partially other) physics with the player and has to be matched with each class in reasonable manner.

It can be a discrepancy between AI cornering grip and player, while AI is loosing out on the straights or other corners for example (if laptimes are indeed fitting to your own in strength level).

It's not recommended to evaluate car dynamics by comparing with AI with this system in mind.

Again just to clarify: The issues are known and discussed in a lot of posts and actions against it are taking place all the time. (The big driveline revisions are there for a reason :p and these actually also have caused some AI classes to be a bit inconsistent with straightline/cornering discrepancies still, btw.)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Since someone mentioned the snappy understeer feel while cornering, I experience something similar with many of the FClassics (but not the G3M2 oddly). Basically, you enter a medium-speed corner and the car understeers, so you turn the wheel more, at which point the rear snaps loose and the car rotates a few degrees until the rear suddenly grips again and you go back to understeering. It feels very alien when it does this, almost like driving with a d-pad with digital inputs. I think this can be tuned out with setup changes, but it really shouldn't do that by default.

But this is far from happening in every car, for example none of the GT1s exhibit this behaviour and in fact are probably the best overall class of cars in AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. Issue affects custom skins only and will be fixed at next update. Unfortunately for the moment you'll have to choose between custom or unique liveries

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

The understeer at slow corner entries is one thing, but some cars in AMS 2 like the new Brabham provide a horrible snap oversteer at exits. Reminds me of the behaviour of cars in the terrible P. Cars games. Maybe some kind of heritage as AMS 2 uses the same engine?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. Anything about the helmet visors?

16. CrimsonEminence

Groundeffect cars will tend to snap oversteer. The Lotus 79 is similar, especially out of slower corners or in mid-fast corners when under or over the effective range of aerodynamic support. For the Brabham, it's very important to keep the rpm as high as possible, or you will experience some odd stuff that can show in snap oversteer out of slower corners and on soft brake application, washing out/understeer in fast corners.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Not my bag that one I'm afraid. Nothing changed there on code/ui side so any regression is likely a content issue. If you've reported it here or on the bug report thread it's likely to be in the right hands already.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

I just drove Kyalami '76 in the Brabham, with OPPONENTS set to MAX AVAILABLE which should mean no double liveries and numbers ingame(?)
    This is ingame and there are still two Lotusses 79 with both the #5 and #55 livery....

I don't know what I did wrong?
    Or is it because the #5 skin is a modded skin? (from @RD )

anyway.

Thanks Reiza for the good work!

Cheers
    Robin

Attached Files:

19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Glad to hear its not only me who consider this as rather unrealistic.:D
    Hehe while others does everything to explain it away :p
    If you while exiting a corner (like 1st corner in Brasilia Outher) either keep the throttle or slightly begin to press it then the rear suddenly slip away.

ByTheWay:
    In the beginning I thought it had something to do with the diff power settings - but after messing with this I concluded it is some kind of bug - or at least a weakness in how Reiza have implemented this car.:whistle:

20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't really have an issue with the on-throttle oversteer in the Brabham BT46, it's manageable with the right foot traction control system.

The FRetro Gen 2 cars as modelled still run Goodyear bias ply tyres in 1978, not the more advanced Michelin radials that some teams had, which means they have less grip and wider slip angles than you'd think for tyres of that size. The DFV was known to have a peaky torque curve, which definitely comes through in many of the retro cars, perhaps the Alfa V12 is similar?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.