1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Yeah I have screen mirror disabled so it only displays the game in the headset.
    With ACC VR you need every little bit of performance you can get... Luckily AMS2 is a bit easier on resources in VR.

Are you sure when you unplug your monitor it actually stops the game from rendering the image? Im by no means an expert but Id think simply unplugging it doesnt stop the render?

2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

u can disable the rendering in ams2 aswell i just posted how todo it a few days ago
    [Information] VR Desktop Mirror disabling
    the idea of unplugging the monitor is that u dont render desktop or other stuff that is essentially wasted resources, i did notice some performance impacts when i had 3 monitors connected and a crappy gpu + vr, i unplugged 2 monitors and i was atleast able to play at half my headsets framerate.
    obviously i had to upgrade to a better gpu, but for the day it worked

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

I currently can't play the game, but since I am very sensible to stutters I was wondering whether you guys can notice the recent update's optimizations in VR (I'm om Reverb G2). Pre the update I sometimes got a little nauseous on some tracks

4. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

how do you disable screen mirror? I can’t find anything ingame

thanks in advance
    Baz

5. Kevin del Campo

spectatorScreenMode: 0

You need to copy paste this into the following folder:

C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Assetto CorsaCompetizione\ConfigvrSettings.json

6. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys,
    I wanna share my experience with the following setup:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3200
    GPU: RX6900XT (OC)
    VR Headset: HP Reverb G2

In the beginning I was not that satisfied about the overall quality, though I had activated Motion Smoothing to get 90 FPS.
    So I started some further testing and found a config that I'm really happy with, because the picture quality and the framerate is a big progress from what I had before.

• Steam VR Supersampling: 74%
    • Motion Smoothing: off

<data class="GraphicConfigData" id="0x4243BD80">
    <prop name="Name" data="" />
    <prop name="Build" data="1576" />
    <prop name="Version" version="2" />
    <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1080" refresh_num="60" refresh_dem="1" />
    <prop name="Vsync" vsync="0" />
    <prop name="FrameLatency" framelatency="4" />
    <prop name="AntiAlias" antialias="2" />
    <prop name="SMAAFXAA" smaafxaa="0" />
    <prop name="Windowed" windowed="2" />
    <prop name="TextureFilter" texturefilter="5" />
    <prop name="TextureResolution" textureresolution="2" />
    <prop name="Brightness" brightness="10" />
    <prop name="CarDetailLevel" cardetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="TrackDetailLevel" trackdetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="ShadowDetailLevel" shadowdetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="MotionblurLevel" motionblurLevel="0" />
    <prop name="EffectsDetailLevel" effectsdetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="EnvmapDetailLevel" envmapdetaillevel="3" />
    <prop name="MirrorEnabled" mirrorenabled="1" />
    <prop name="MirrorEnhanced" mirrorenhanced="0" />
    <prop name="EnvmapReflectionDetailLevel" envmapreflectiondetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="GraphicsLevel" graphicslevel="4" />
    <prop name="SuperSampling" supersampling="0" />
    <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
    <prop name="VRSuperSampling" vrsupersampling="0" />
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.200000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.060000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />
    </data>

With these seetings I can do a day race with 16 opponents without any issues.
    During start FPS drops to 75, but after the start it's constantly between 85 and 90 FPS.
    As I prefer open wheel cars and I'm still a beginner in sim racing I did not do night races or races in stormy wheather conditions, but can't go back to "normal" racing since I enjoyed AMS2 in VR, it's so amazing.
    The biggest impact on picture quality was changing the setting for MSAA from Medium to High.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. week

week New Member

If you're sensible to stutters, try using 60hz mode. I can play pretty well with my 1080ti. &0hz mode has some flickering issues, but it's just get used to it.

8. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

I think the problem is the madness engine and CPU use. I keep coming back to the game after updates hoping it will be improved but maybe it's time to uninstall and give up on the game. I don't see any advice coming from Reiza about these issues.

I've tried all the suggestions here but I've had the same issue with PCars 2.

Graphics settings are irrelevant - bottoming out all the settings runs just as badly as having them on high. The stuttering makes the game unplayable - frame rate is solid at 72FPS on my Quest 2 but frequently drops and climbs back up suddenly causing a warp effect that makes it unplayable.

Raceroom, Kart Kraft, Assetto Corsa,Dirt Rally and all my non-driving VR games all run fine - two games with Madness engine - complete ****.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

@Potato Player
    I do not know what you are talking about.
    Look at my cpu, old stuff, no prob at all with setting up AMS2 or pc2 for solid vr experience.
    You do not have even posted you hardware specs.

Check your end before calling products **** ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

I'm talking about this:

Stuttering/jerky graphics
    Little bit of a stutter :: Automobilista 2 General Discussions
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AUTOMOBILISTA/comments/ls4xj8/massive_stuttering/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AUTOMOBILISTA/comments/g1jk2f/ams2_is_stuttering/
    Game skips frames :: Automobilista 2 General Discussions

These are just a few examples. If you are interested search 'Project Cars 2 stuttering' and you will find a lot more going all the way back to 2017.

I already did post my hardware specs in another thread and 'checked my end'.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Quest 2 now works wirelessly with the new Air Link update :) I'm getting better performance and smoother, graphics compared to using the Link cable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

The key is to:

- use motion smoothing / ASW
    - Don't do any night time racing

Unless you have a Nvidia 3000 series or AMD 6000 series card don't think about not using ASW or equivalent. You really won't be able to maintain 90/75/80 FPS. However, in AMS defence, also in raceroom or Assetto Corsa you won't.

I just bought a 5800x CPU and it changes nothing for AMS. It is completely bottlenecked by GPU. (MSFS for which I bought the CPU is another story!)

However, again, with motion smoothing there is for me no stuttering whatsoever. There can be stuttering between transitions. So either force ASW or simply increase the graphical load so the smoothing is always on.

My 2 VR cents.

13. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

I assume you mean ACC rather than AC. AC runs beautifully for me in VR - 72FPS max world detail, no problem with lots of cars on track. ACC has such a bad VR rep I've never bothered trying it.

Interesting idea to up the graphical load on AMS2 to force ASW and smooth it out. I keep giving up on getting it to run well but end up going back again to try new fixes. I went down and down with my graphics settings but it never made any difference to the stuttering. Capping the frame rate worked but only if I set it really low.

The thing I don't get is why is Project Cars 2 is exactly the same given it was released for the hardware of 4 years ago and has worse graphics.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

I maintain 90 FPS for 99% of the time.

15. Kevin del Campo

3080 with a 5600x and a Reverb G2. I can run full lobbies at 90fps on mostly ultra settings without any problem.
    Nightracing will make my framerate drop pretty hard but I havent spent much time finetuning my settings tbf. AMS2 is still my favorite VR SimRacer tho.

Also doing 90fps comfortably in RF2, AC and Dirt Rally 2.
    ACC Is a different story tho lol.

16. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Nope, I mean AC. Perhaps 72 is indeed doable. 90 FPS is not so easy, having CSP / SOL enabled and with other cars on the grid.

Highly doubt that. And if so, it must be at very low settings or with a 3080 / 3090.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Gagaryn

Why would you doubt it - I have hundreds of hours in this game and VR works great. I would add I rarely race at nigh as I don't enjoy it - AMS2 looks poor in VR at night. I recently changed to lower MSAA (was on high) and bump the in game VR SS - when the game was first released VR SS made no difference to the image (or frame rate - guess it was bugged).

Try these settings (from memory but think this is right) -
    Steam SS - 130
    Texture Resolution - High
    Texture Filtering - 16x
    V-Sync - No
    MSAA - Medium
    Supersampling - 2
    Reflections: High
    Environment Map - High
    Car Detail - Ultra
    Track Detail - Ultra
    Pit Crew Detail - All
    Shadows - High
    Enhanced Mirror - On
    Motion Blur - Off
    Grass - Off
    Level and density Low

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Which graphics card and what resolution per eye?

I have 2070 super with 2000*2000 per eye and it is not possible with that hardware and settings. I do use msaa med otherwise it looks like wax in your eyes.

Also. Do you think you're always running 90 FPS or do you use fpsvr to actually measure it?

19. Gagaryn

Valve Index at 130 Steam VR SS - you can work out. 2080Ti OC'd using Afterburner OC curve and i9 9900k OC's to 5.0 GHz on all cores - pretty mild OCs. I use FPSVR. I used to use no in game SS and run MSAA high - that also gave me 90 FPS most of the time but it dropped a bit on some tracks and with some weather - overcast being the worst. That change made a massive improvement to frame times. Another big help I found is ensuring detailed grass is off. BTW - system spec is in my sig.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Ah I see, so lower settings and with a graphics card that is almost 40% quicker than mine. Makes sense that you are able to reach 90. In my case I think I prefer higher settings (sharpness) and motion smoothing enabled.

• Disagree Disagree x 1