1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You are veeery patient and veeery polite in your answer here.
    Respect :p
    Sounds good from my own favorite perspective in AMS2:)

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Such a sophisticated set-up, but where's the h-pattern shifting? ;) Can't experience the real thrill (or challenge) of those old cars using paddles or even sequential stick or auto-clutch :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You see, AMS2 is such a powerful sim at the same time it is incredibly weak.

If everything goes perfect, the AMS2 experience is absolutely mindblowing. I've had moments where I just couldn't stop smiling, the grin on my face wouldn't go away.

However when quite a few bugs and lack of features start getting in the way, I found myself swearing at the game and feeling incredibly frustrated.

Not just because of the bugs/lack of features were piling up the experience, but mainly due to this immense contrast: just like a flip of a switch AMS2 can go from being astonishingly mindblowing perfection to a deep well of frustration.

As Renato says, it is a long time project. By version 2.0 maybe AMS2 will be the unreplaceable sim, but as of now it is... amazing and disappointing at the same time in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You're not wrong... but I have the exact same experience with every single sim I've tried. Good to have some perspective.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is that video sped up? The movement of the car looks quite unnatural and a bit fast. Also didn’t know that those cars where drift cars. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Doesn't look sped-up to me, but the Group A cars are not yet among the best vehicles in AMS 2. Looking forward to future updates!

7. Raffael

Raffael New Member

I had the same impression that he's overdriving the car quite a bit. I might be wrong though, as I know these group A cars aren't the easiest ones to drive fast. Maybe I was just not pushing them hard enough.

Nice video nevertheless!

8. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nothin sped up there, just set Fov to 70 from my standart max low 65, so for me it looks indeed little faster. Did not drive Group A long time but the mercedes felt quiet nice on default yesterday, M3 checkin an hour before even better, Renato always listen, just need time to do his magic again

9. LionOfTheNorth

LionOfTheNorth New Member

The idea that MP has a problem with 1st lap multi-car crashes is stupid, why? Because you have 1st lap crashes in all leaves of motorsports in real life. Crashing is part of motorsport so saying that it's a problem in MP sim racing is stupid.

10. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Very nice SimHub dash! Appreciate you provided a link to download. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

By the way
    I admit that the physics of the crashes is quite mhee. jerky and unbelievable, weightless. Like i cant do all the calculation, and i show to you some frame now and then if i can. Pc2 is the same?

12. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Yeah, I agree that the damage model needs work: the damage model is rather inconsistent per-car (some such as the Stock Cars practically lose their entire bodies while others like the G40s barely get dented, in fact it even varies inside classes, for instance how the FC G3M2 loses the engine cover while the other 2 don't) and physics are quite janky when it comes to rollovers but said physics are a carryover from the Madness engine and at the end of the day damage modelling likely isn't Reiza's top priority so it's somewhat understandable

13. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

Hi Renato, thanks for the reply. I am referring only to simucube2 dd wheels, it just takes a visit to the dedicated thread on the Granite forum to see that we are all more or less sharing the same feeling. I thoroughly enjoyed ams2 untill a couple of months ago, then it became very difficult to experience the same enjoyment out of it. In any case, I would be very happy to help to investigate the possible issues.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  14. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

How a car falls apart must be modelled into the 3D model. There is no real crash deforming in any racing sim. Reiza didn't it from start to their converted models, so its not there. Now the 3D artists rework the cars piece by piece, thats why there is that diversity.
    It has nothing to do with Reiza's inability to do it, it's just a matter of time.
    BTW. If there are only good drivers, there is no need for crash physics :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CatAstrophe05

deleted, message sent twice for some reason!

16. CatAstrophe05

I never said Reiza were unable to do it, just simply that it likely isn't a priority for them. Also, while having everyone be good enough to not crash would be ideal, it's bound to happen eventually, and if true realism is what simracers strive for there might as well be a solid damage model, which AMS2 most certainly delivers on with the cars that have it dialed in but I just think it would be an improvement if this standard was applied more consistently (as well as some cars getting more general polish in regards to driving and etc. of course, while most are great to drive some just need a bit more work honestly)

17. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

some don’t even make the start finish line like in Indy Cars in texas this week.
    Someone should make a video about that not being a good experience.

By the way :
    How good to see a history making Kiwi 1-2 finish

18. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

For me: This is one of the reasons I really like AMS2. I think some of its better things have been overlooked. One of the most popular single player-best experiences is the F1 20xx series. I don't get the push from people for the multi player focus, then the devs come out and say well why try to climb that hill so hard when one can/will simply play MP elsewhere. I have never really ventured into MP in Raceroom or rf2 or AC/ACC, except a few times amounting to one in each (but not in ACC). I am in the camp of what is the point when I personally just want to get in and drive and improve the driving/learning to drive various tracks. To me going to 'test' my, er, 'skills' in MP seems like a way to not have fun and I definitely will only come middle of the pack at best supposing I do not spin out. I did jump into MP in AMS2 and liked it a lot, did one race with the streamer Tarmac in a lobby, that was fun but the guy was also commentating it. Point being I see how people want that because its so 1 click and done potentially, but I also see why its probably the better way to focus on SP. There's simply more to be gained there. Its a different product that does different things better potentially, so it should not follow in the footsteps of others; the point of having multiple games is probably to play them in multiple different ways. I do appreciate some people want to compare cars/tracks between them but thats not enough of a reason to focus on MP. I also understand a lot of people love MP. I am just not sure why this game needs to have it yesterday.

Maybe that was just my thinking all laid out and not noteworthy.

I would really like to see more online videos of racing from behind the car/external instead of in the cockpit that show off fancy rigs. If people really think this is wholly a drift game then wouldn't it be better to see the car(s) externally doing those things in relation to tire placement and positioning on the track?

I have not played this month as life got in the way doing a fair bit of traveling domestically and other activities. The final thing I noticed is that people seem to want the game to be really big so as to get to MP-filled lobbies, and maybe the perception out there has been an ad-hoc development cycle, but whether its true or not, isn't the best thing to not worry about size of the game than to hope for improvements which will come in the realm of the SP environment.

I am just not sure what worrying about how big the game is helps in enjoying it apart from the aforementioned reason.

With MP as I stated above be careful what one wishes for. MP games can be seriously over rated as experiences, griefing, cheating, hacking, often difficult to find a lobby at your skill level, all those anti social things you wish people could just leave behind even if they find them fun for the sake of others. The RTS genre disappeared off the face of the earth. It was basically done for ideas and ground to a halt. Offshoots like DOTA still find high player numbers, but they are free to play and I don't even think I would ever want to play league of legends. The FPS genre is almost a 'no-go' for the majority of people because of elitism.

Thats the same elitism mantra youtubers like Ermin play into. Or Esports. Do you really want an Esports oriented corporation hierarchy running your enjoyment or experience of games? They do not care about the game play and do not really dabble in it so they cannot direct it; if anything I guess such business models cater to an ever dwindling subset of fans. Yes I know there's more Esports and money in that than ever, but it should not be the immediate goal for MP. I think it can exist but it should not dictate the direction so much with a title like this, with its independent-focus.

I think there is a danger either way things go, to follow in the footsteps or to forge an own path - but the developer is looking at the way forward. I just want to point the historical track above and wonder if some of the goodness in the game is overlooked now there is a bit of negative feedback. And of course to know that Laguna Seca and other tracks as such will get such treatment is really good to know. Whatever happens I think building upon the strengths of the title at this [really] just-after embryonic stage of the development cycle (or forgive me whatever stage the game is in) is better than dropping everything to chase a goal like that.

I know in business one must give the customer what they want. But I do not think what the debate has boiled down to - the dichotomy - is really a healthy way to view this game.

Its JUST a game. Its not the only choice, and it does offer a point of difference. In terms of enjoyment, life is too short to focus so hard on a game. I am of the mind that AMS2 fits into the crowd in a legitimate way. Thats just me, so I do not know why people are chasing the dream of the perfect sim title.

I listened to Ermins latest video today as people seem to point to him. Boy didn't he make a name for himself. Thats all it is - he has fallacy's of thought and particular interests and he chops and changes. He is doing his thing, I do not agree with his progression 100% only some of it. I do not subscribe to the guy and I only take opinions for what they are worth.

This is why I lead with 'the track' and the art like to OEZ poster. Seriously how much does perfect physics matter. I am not playing F120xx and panning its physics, I won't play an FPS title and wonder why the weaponry is not perfect, or play civilization (I don't) and wonder why the Egyptians are not following the historical path. Even Europa Universalis 4 its just got a historic feel. Yes this is a sim genre, but I think simming things is but one strength of titles. I probably do not hold a popular view on this except to believe that they will and do work within the confines of an engine and the work there has been significant anyway. So like the others which are fairly limited at this point in what they can improve I think, AMS2 is going to get to the aspects we want touched upon at some point. Most likely. But this should not be to suggest in my way of thinking (for enjoyment) that rough edges and the like necessarily have to limit my enjoyment of a title. I find some of the disuccusion on this in that way over analytical. I do not like writing analysis except to say I think a lot of people are struggling to keep bothering; when I am like AMS2 makes up x% of my gaming time. I think its a mistake for people to fall into the trap of not seeing the glass half full. To see it as half empty is also a kind of denial. But one which is only limiting.

Thats why this dev update was good reading for myself. I am not Ermin or x, y, z youtuber so I do not play games like Ermin and I think without singling a youtuber out and he can play as he likes of course, I do not know why, what, and how other people play is so important. Its a good insight into his progression of sims the other day and I DO relate.

So I am not saying there is not a case to wish for better AI or whatever it may be, but to be despondent on the game, should not be a thing - I say enjoy it for as much as it does - its a game and I like the dev process its a kind of phenomenon in gaming these days, but I won't be waiting for some time in the future to enjoy what I have now :)

edit: I did actually play this months patch yesterday forgot. I drove the rocco around oulton park with the chicanes, 2 other cars in a race, default setup I think maybe barely a minor adjustment, and the race was really good. Navigating the chicanes was far easier and everything better than this time last year, then going round the long curve after that was smooth and likable; as was mounting the bend before the straight and the weight and everything felt so much improved over any time in the past 6 months, it could definitely be perceived and worked with rather than shying away from the speed so much < turn in, etc. I mounted a good challenge on the cars, found myself in the middle over several laps, he dropped back further and further, then was coming first when I spun out. Rather than turning it off in frustration I got taken away from the PC and didn't get back to the computer that day. The experience stood up to any other sim. But I could be playing it wrong too or playing some far-flung corner of the simulation as we all seem to have differences of opinion. I would even get in an F1 car and go round Guapore. As if thats not fun. How are the limits on realism curtailed there compared to the non perfect physics in other games. I'm not fully into measuring such things, if it's good or intense fair enough racing then it's good. Such is why I look forward to new tracks etc. I mean why would I single out ams2 if I don't give race room or another title attention in the same way.
    I actually also had more fun in acc before the tire update. Don't know how but that happened too.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Marquise Schumacher

Marquise Schumacher Member AMS2 Club Member

THIS IS AMAZINGGGGGGGG... I can’t explain my excitement for IMSA tracks with GTLM Cars. Since it “looks like” Reiza(AMS2) and SMS(Pcars3) are sharing and or porting some of their tracks and cars. I’m really hoping the Ford GTLM and Aston Martin GTE joins the GTLM/GTE car selection. Because Oval Racing will be apart of the Americans DLC pack, I’m guessing Indianapolis will be joining the party? Please if possible bring Seabring and Canadian motor speedway pretty please.. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Marquise Schumacher

Marquise Schumacher Member AMS2 Club Member

OK I’ve always speculated that Some of AMS2 tracks look like they’ve jumped over to PCars3. Donington, interlagos,Imola just to say a few all look like upgraded versions compared to their predecessor Pcars2. After reading some of the previous post on this forum, it seems my guess was correct. So Reiza, why not just take EVERYTHING, LOL I would Love this. Pcars2 had A very broad and diverse track selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.