1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think, i initially misunderstood, what light was originally meant. I'm not the biggest fan of requiring external apps to provide something, instead of having it in the package. It's not a "why don't they just" case here, though. It needs proper implementation (so probably extra own work, maybe even on code) by Reiza to work sufficiently, so for now i can live with that.

Ah and speaking of features, requiring external apps, we could still need an ingame spotter. :p (The one in AMS1 was really totally sufficient, implementing this one, if possible, would already be quite nice, tbh.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I totally agree, everything in game would be great...but for me i need the external dash, my rig and FOV make it so i cant see the in car dash anyway, plus the second screen really adds depth and has pretty well made a in game HUD unnecessary for me....Big immersion plus :cool:

3. 2ndLastJedi

Can you tell me the setup exactly please? I want to try this now on the new Lime Rock.

4. CrimsonEminence

Not installed rF2 right now, so can't exactly tell you anymore right now. Ordered an M.2 SSD to add a bit of extra space, that also is fast (probably useless anyway, to have an M.2 because of speed, but i have no SATA slots free anymore on my little board :D) and then re-installing rF2 probably :D

But in general, try +-150 kpa cold pressures as starting point (absolutely no idea anymore, if it was actually tending to be lower or higher in cold pressures, i drove the car 6 months ago or so, the last time) and keep an eye on the temps. Camber might highly depend on track, don't have values in front of me right now, because not installed. It's basically the same method to set cambering and pressure, like in AMS2. Increase rear ride height/lower front a bit, they have adjusted the default setup, so i don't know, how it looks now (back then also brake bias was crazy rear biased, i think, they have rectified that, but use 52:48 as a starting point maybe) and use ARBs at will.
    You should feel in the FFB really well, if your tires come alive properly, it gets more defined, less "bump steer-ish" and the car starts to be pretty stable.

Maybe using quite high TC is also already a good thing to preserve the rears. One thing, this car does really well, is IMO braking and this with a fixed to 100% brake pressure value in the setup, i was really surprised.

Got recommended to me by someone and i first didn't know, what all the fuzz was about, until eventually the car started to work and i ran several hours at Imola and Kyalami with it, because it was addicting, even with it being not the graphically most amazing one.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I agree it drives a lot better than P Cars 2, that had awful physics.

I'm more referring to the early access/beta of AMS2, where the cars just felt more natural, and more realistic.

Now they feel overexaggrated in many areas especially the slower speed corners.
    With the latest update, you can just brake so late, chuck the car in and almost hit the handbrake drifting on the exit.
    P1 class
    Most of the formula.
    Stock cars 2020/2021
    V8 super and truck
    Mini Jcw GP
    GT4.
    Ginetta supercup

Just a few from thea above list will show the issues I feel in general.

I have to say that some cars are great,
    UNO cup car
    Ultima
    Gt3
    Caterhams
    Opala 86
    Stock car 2019
    Sprint car
    Porsche cup cars
    Some P2/P3/4
    Formula V10 and Reiza

The Gt1 class is a strange one because I felt it was great on release but feels very odd lately.

Still love the game, I'm just concerned that some parts of the physics seem a bit off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. 2ndLastJedi

Go and drive pC3, coming back to AMS2 feels freaking amazing. The Caterham's feel darn right proper. Not sure if that is placebo after hours testing pC3 but the Caterham's feel like something has definitely improved, much better than I remember.

7. CrimsonEminence

Based on what, though? On the comparison to AMS1? You can say that about AMS1 aswell btw....just thinking of the Ultima Race over the limit there, for example. :D (and AMS1 is the driving enjoyment holy grail for me)

Cars like the SC2020 will probably not satisfy you, though, because they are built to be entertaining for the viewer, not the driver. It has more weight than it's predecessor, is narrower, has about 50% less downforce, shorter wheelbase, harder slicks (amplifying its own slidyness to more heat induced slidyness with too soft compounds, otherwise). It's not like the SC-Brasil drivers will praise this car either. Watch the Goiania race from the first run of the SC this year on YT. These things are bouncing and floating the whole time! :D

8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We need a tracker, like: If someone hit you twice.. he gets banned. :D Just had a race at Bathurst.. I brake nicely before T1. Then some dude went yolo and scraped my left. He was between the walls and me. 1 lap later someone touched me. Suspension broke. I just drive, cause I am a cool guy.. Then T1 again the same guy that went yolo onto me rammed me hard cause he lost control. Boom race over. Yepp.. We need a hit-tracker that results in a ban :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As someone who has shown themselves to be truly quick, I do respect Simmo's opinion. This list actually corresponds mostly with cars in AMS2 I consider to be "good or great" (6/10 or better) and "not great" (5/10 or worse). As to why, my guess would be it has something to do with the tyre models on these cars. Maybe some of the low-speed tyre damping that was added recently isn't quite working properly on these cars? With regards to the GT1, I respectfully disagree. Those cars were somewhat broken on release and have since become absolutely awesome (10/10 for me).

To some extent all of us are spoiled because we are given a vast array of simulated race cars that we expect to be perfect, realistic, engaging and fun to drive. In reality, there are plenty of race cars that aren't particularly good or well-designed, don't drive well irl, and probably don't translate to being fun in a simulator. By most accounts the SC20/21 fall in this category, which is unfortunate for a flagship series. It would be interesting to hear the feedback from SCB drivers who also dabble in AMS2, whether the nervousness of the cars is true to life or exaggerated by some tyre model issue.

It doesn't help when Reiza have to constantly deal with knee-jerk reactions ranging from "wow this car is too hard to drive, Madness engine is broken" to "wow this car is easy to drive, Madness engine has too much grip, simcade". It's not particularly easy to diagnose what might be wrong with a particular car and sim racer expectations != reality. So the more factual evidence we can provide to Renato, the better. Everything else is just a big peer counseling session where sim racers talk about their feelings. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

There is a custom dedi server addon for that in the pC2 forums xD

• Like Like x 2
  11. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

It also needs to be mentioned that some people compare AMS2 with ....(insert your favorite name here).... Simulation and believe that .....(insert you favorite name here)....Simulation is the golden standard of Sim Racing while in reality it is not. Renato often talks about the long journey and if we are honest, we have to admit that it was a more or less long journey for every Simulator on the market. No Simulator is or was perfect on the day of release. Watching Youtube videos from Niels Heusinkveld is very helpful for understanding the process of model development or tire development in a simulation environment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I really like Ams2, and coming from all the possible driving "games" 80/90/2000> lfs> rf2, I can remember that each one has its prevailing physics, a physics related to its specific universe which is not ours. we adapt and get used to what we have available, one cannot think that this is the perfect physical model, because it does not exist, it is also because it is naive to claim that it is also because even professional simulators that cost millions are not perfect. Many of us have no direct experience with 98% of the cars on the list, and when we have them, not the racing version. That said, I have had my driving license for 30 years and have driven dozens of models of Cars and vans and some low-speed driving characteristics are quite rare, as and rare as the feeling of "turning in segments". the models that come closest to my driving experience are the sprint-race, and surprisingly the p4. above all the p4 have a right weight and a recovery to the limit that I can think is realistic, if not with the specific model of car represented, with a car model that I feel I have driven. Other super cars that cannot be controlled at 80km in a simple turn..not so realistic. My current car is a family monovolume and i can turn in a roundabout without deraping like having slices of bacon under the wheels.
    In the end, however, there are more pros than cons and for now I remain stick to it.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

@Simmo99x had the new Stock Car in his list of boring/too easy to drive/too much grip in slow corners.

How do we reconcile these impressions of the same car?

And for a third one, I find the car perfectly reasonable to drive and a small incremental step away (sharper) from the wonderful-to-drive 2019 Stock Car--with one huge exception. The tires, particularly at the rear, give up their grip far too readily for any plausible race car in real life. These tires happen to hate any form of heat--ambient or self-generated and are flailing around despite the HUD tire indicator still showing green.

I predict a single, simple adjustment to lower tire heat sensitivity will completely cure this car because it handles beautifully and as-expected when the tires are cold(er).

If the SC 2020 is supposed to be floating the whole time, it hasn't achieved that. It is not "floating," as in requiring careful manoeuvring through corners to keep the car balanced, it just has functionally defective tires.

Which of the three of us is correct? Not asking for a debate about this car (PLEASE!!!!); just pointing out the obvious in all of these discussions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

I refered to that one here:
    ---------

The SC2020 spec has harder compounds exactly because it's punishing to its tires. Also with the lower heat sensitivity you will still struggle. It's not just heat, but also degradation. (Several effects on the tire tread, you don't see this on the HUD)

You have to start sliding it more, when wanting to go faster with it...

15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes. I want this everywhere. I was soo angry. Shouted his name and said to go back to pCars.. Not my best moment, but the start was crazy. Saw him literally divebombing me in the rearmirror. And then the last straw was him taking me out lap 1 later in T1 as well..

16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes have reverse mapped to a button. Using manual gearbox but have auto clutch on.

17. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I've never had such a list...

I said cars that are way too easy to brake traction/unstable/unrealistic in slower corners or under the limit.

The stock car 2019 is near perfect IMO.
    The 2020 and 21 are way off the mark, people saying they have less downforce, different tyres and a basic chassis just doesn't explain to me why it drives so bad.
    These cars should be planted and stable, being driven flat-out and over the limit to achieve a good lap.
    I get there slower than the previous 2019 car, but the way its been implemented into the game is really off somewhere.
    Same with GT4 class, yes the cars are slower but it doesn't mean they should become overly floaty and loose, in fact quite the opposite, the slower cars should have more mechanical grip and easier to drive with a wider slip angle.
    But it seems to be implemented the complete opposite way in the physics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

According to what Gaetano di Mauro, Bruno Baptista and Átila Abreu have said before, the bolded part is not true at all.

About the rest of your post, I don't dare to comment because I lack knowledge on the subject.

Source:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm no expert of the Brazilian stock cars but to me the way the 2020 and the 2019 cars drive loo very different. The 2020/21 has almost never the steering wheel settled with lots of countersteers sometimes even in slow corners.
    The 2019 has still somewhat of a very tentative steering wheel at turn in but once it's in the wheel has a pretty much constant angle and when accelerating there is very little movement as opposed to the 2021 steering wheel going always crazy at corner exit. The two tracks are not the same but there seems to be an appreciable difference between them. The 2020/21 version seems definitely quite nervous and never settled...

That being said I'm not sure if there is something too extreme in AMS2 representation of those cars I drive them very seldom and not really in anger, but certainly it seems like the 2020/21 is way more of an handful in all stages of the corner

• Like Like x 2
  20. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I have driven the 3 Stock Cars (19/20/21) extensively on the Nordschleife. One thing they all have in common is the tire problem when pushed. With the 2019 the tires sometimes will not last a whole lap but I have found a good setup and it goes like on rails on the Nordschleife and is the fastest from the 3 on that track. With the 2020 I was not able to find a somewhat decent setup to drive it in a somewhat decent manner around the track. The 2021 is a bit better than the 2020 and feels more stable. This also is reflected in the lap times.
    I believe that Reiza translated all 3 cars very well in to AMS2 since many drivers from Stock Car Brasil complained about the handling specifically of the 2020 car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.