1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Elo-based rating systems (gain rating when do better than expected, lose rating when you do worse) in games that have a large component of chance always have a feel-bad factor that makes people overly protective of their rating to the point that they'd rather not risk it by playing in some instances.

It gets even worse when having a couple of bad races can actually dump your safety rating to the point where you can't even participate in the races you bought expensive content for. I don't think any racing sim has really solved those problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I got those frustrations in iRacing as well, but the player pool is pretty large so if you improve your irating, you get to drive with better players who also are more serious and safer drivers.

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Y
    Kills it for me when I check with players and yes they can adjust after I set session to everything disabled, Only ones Im interest in are TC/ABS in wet races in particular.
    GT3's are a shed load more alive/fun/challenge when genuinely off.

:)
    Agreed, makes an expensive experience very poor, gave up in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just use the secretly best GT3 car in AMS2, the Ultima GTR Race, which has neither. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Ahh. At least this part was/is solvable in the way iRacing have integrated the SR in their system.
    Because eventhough I never personally got that low in SR then I know that people solved it by running some TT sessions where you if you dont make mistakes slowly can earn/harvest some SR points.

ByTheWay: TT sessions are as most know single player mode. No Sennas :D

6. Squalido

Squalido New Member

Worst thing about ACC is how it is integrated with the single-player for two reasons:
    - You see people suggesting grinding in single-player to improve the rankings, doing stuff like driving close to a slow AI for an hour to improve the safety ranking. That is a total waste of time and if you can grind it, it means that its implementation is not good.
    - Ruined the offline experience for me because I was more focused on being careful to not ruin my ranking, especially because the AI was unaware/blind of the player position in some cases. I only started enjoying ACC for offline when I deactivated those rankings and just forgot about them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Well, people with vr, triple screen and $$ direct drive sistem vs g29 single monitor (or gamepad ahemm..) guy. Ultra fast ping Vs triple digit ping. Nothing is fair, all is relative.

8. Valle1950

Valle1950 Belgium AMS2 Club Member

Waiting for the beta-release! Steam has been refreshed so many times now, I'm almost living in the future :D

9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I switched off the rating, as soon as it was avaiable to do so for single player...
    I'm actually highly against any rating system, it sucks out the fun of a simulation video-game for me...I mean, people still want it badly, so it has to be included in AMS2 at some point and i deal with it, i guess. :p

But i'm not a fan of increasing my rating by exploiting the h*** out of it with driving close to other cars, to get safety rating, for example. It adds a new "grindy" layer to the whole deal and it doesn't really prevent stupid mistakes on track in addition.

I recently saw some streamers and community playing around in ACC, gathering several Porsches on one single place and it also became quite "rammy" and guess what: "is this okay with your rating?", "does the rating take damage" etc....because it's always forced-on in MP in this game. I just can't stand this kind of artificial regulation, when you just want to have a ball.

10. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think most of the times it brings more people with extreme behaviors: in iracing any short race is affected by the fact that people send it at every corner so as not to lose irating. People get greedy with their rating very often and in the end in most architectures you can be a very bad/aggressive driver and still have a high rating so it does not provide for really cleaner racing. However in the community, ranked racing has become such a fetish that there is people refusing to race online AMS2 until there is a ranking system... Go figure...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

I agree that the rating system in ACC can get annoying for singleplayer, specially considering how the AI in ACC, while usually quite well behaved, does appear to have a few blind spots and will hit you in a few specific situations.

But on the other end the public multiplayer in ACC does appear to have quite a better quality of drivers than what I'm used to from other sims. The fact that the players are worried about their safety rating does appear to make them a bit more careful in their moves, which is not a bad thing.

Of course there's always a few trolls everywhere, even in ACC, but the average quality does seem to be consistently higher on that sim in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

The problem with that attitude if you are a sim developer is that a lot of (most?) sim drivers want to get as close to the real thing.
    And in RL you can both get expensive damage and personal injuries if you drive like an idiot.:rolleyes:
    So to sim(ulate) this then any serious racing sim got to have some kind of virtual mirroring of such damage and injuries.
    And this is called Safety Rating - in some form or another.:cool:

ByTheWay: The hippie like "solution" to make an appeal to al MP drivers to drive clean and to respect each others is officially declared dead after Woodstock :p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ratings are an awesome way to gauge yourself, set personal goals and become invested in your performance

As soon as you detach the ratings into some sort of pissing contest and trying to gimmick the system or not use it as a way to improve yourself as a driver, then you break it for YOURSELF.

With this system, everyone gets crashed out. The difference will be between those who can recognize their own tendencies on track to either exacerbate or avoid risky situations.

If you drive with the goal of being safe and you lose a position to an aggressive guy, big whoop...come in 3rd instead of 2nd. If you let the red mist set in and get into a knife fight and crash out, you lose...every time.

14. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

The really dumb thing is that the safety rating goes down without ones own fault. It happened to me several times in other sims that a guy driving behind me crashed in to me because he forgot to hit the brakes and I got punished for it. My solution to this dumb ratings is to not join public MP servers. I rather pay some $ to join a private League. No ratings, just fun. And if somebody screws up, the Race Director takes care of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There were more problems than donor accounts and spoofing. I was in a few unofficial leagues that had most of the guys that would dominate races and several of us had the same complaints. Here are just a few.

1. Safety rating is too easy to attain. Anybody could get an S safety rating if they played long enough. No matter how much they crashed, punted, dirty defending, etc. I cannot tell you how many times I've had an A or S rating driver either purposefully take me out, or be a salty backmarker punting the leader. Plus, iRacing's safety rating actually has consequences. If you have too many bad races, you might get dropped from a series you enjoy. Where in Pcars2 it rarely ever locked you out of anything.

2. The system didn't scale well in the higher levels. 1500-1700 rating is easy to gain if you have the skill, but above that, you had to be super cautious to keep from a DNF or non-podium. This is even more infuriating, with griefers and the previously mentioned safety rating issues. I'd win 5 races in a row against good 1600-2000 drivers and gain maybe 12-15 points, only to have one griefer ruin everybody's race, have the new U1480 kid win the race, and immediately lose 30 points. One angry player can ruin hours' worth of progress.

3. No real gameplay function. Yes, I know some of the time trial qualifiers had safety and skill point requirements, but the system was functionally useless. No official race series with matchmaking to pit you against similar drivers (iRacing's whole shtick), no consequences for punting everyone off the track, no reason to really care about what your rating is, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Maybe a dedicated thread for those who have lots of experience with these systems is in order? ...Assuming some focused conversation could eventually lead to some consensus around a community recommendation to Reiza...because it sounds to me as though what not to do is as important as what to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I agree. A dedicated thread for the ranking system would be great.

Also, I believe it would be a good idea too if Reiza releases the ranking system as a beta version for testing, suggestions and bug detection by the community, stating that all ratings would be reset in the definite version.

But, until now, not a single word from them about how the ranking system will be. I just hope they are aware that with a boring and/or broken ranking system, plus no more improvements and new features on the multiplayer experience, some people that drive online 99% of the time, like me, are going to leave the game.

18. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

They’ve stated it will be based initially on legacy with some modifications. So, similar to PC2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

But deeply revisited

20. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So what are the possibilities of being able to edit names/strength of the AI? If I can add skins and then implement new names and skills to drivers that renders AMS1 for me totally redundant. AMS1 to me had the best physics and FFB on the market, but since coming back to 2 after a long hiatus, AMS2 is just on another level totally FFB wise. It would just be fantastic if we could edit the names and skills!

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.