1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe thank you my good man :D
    The reason I have abandoned ship and now does use Raceroom instead of AMS2 is solely because my ears and brain (and tinnitus:() cannot accept the new and completely un-realistic F-Reiza RPM limiter scream.
    And eventhough I have tried to get rid of this sound poo by turning the volume down - then because of AMS2´s too simple sound implementation this poo will only go away if I also turn most other sounds completely down.:rolleyes:
    But I can garantee I have a problem - because I consider Racerooms tire model just as bad as iRacings.
    And that says a lot :confused:

ByTheWay: Be aware that Im not saying the FMOD sound system is completely bullocks - mainly because some other games who also use this 3rd party shelf ware have succeded in getting reasonable sound out of it. Hehe so its not impossible - eventhough FMOD is not the newest guy on the block;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Oh ok cool. I did fire up race room today and it's come a long way. It's a game that really blends in well sound cars graphics racing. I even bought the new track had some credits left over

I think that it comes down to their proprietary system they can probably code it more accurately as you point out with it not being of the shelf. I think reiza may have to schedule such coding so the engine maybe can call extra layers, but that may need sound recording done again first? I wonder the order. I doubt fmod is maxed out or anything.

It's my hope then actually they can raise the bar with sound. It's a good start.

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

No reason to brag about it but eventhough I know a few things about sound systems then my knowledge about FMOD is solely from discussions with a few game devs and some reading.;)

ByTheWay: One of my really old postings about gaming sound is this one:
    NR2003 Full 7.1 Surround + EAX for Vista/Win7. - N2K3-Discussion

4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Who cares if a system is advanced or not per se? What is important is the result and definitely among all sims I think iracing is at the bottom of sound quality. To each his own

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

IIRC, RaceRoom uses a custom sound-engine built on the Miles sound-engine. iRacing uses a custom version built on F-mod (with the Famous "Aussie Greg Hill" on board).

AC/ ACC / Madness Engine all use F-mod to good overall effect but, Pcars2 audio never struck me as being finished, results are too inconsistent and unbalanced. rF2 (Miles Engine) is lagging behind the pack in audio, despite having a few cars with effective samples. The overall dynamics just aren't very convincing.

If we consider the audio in AC, the overall results are very good, even better than the replays in ACC but, I think Kunos are a bit too conservative with the effects. The mod'ing community for AC has done some amazing work, even though they don't typically have direct access to the real cars and the means to acquire the best reference samples.

So I think F-mod is more capable than what ACC demonstrates, certainly in replay mode. The GTE / BMW GT4 cars in AMS2 do a better job in replays as it is now, I'm just not sure how I feel about the muffled interior sounds. Mostly, I hope for better samples for some car engine sounds and some added details to bring more dramatic effect (Ignition cut on shifts / back-fires, etc. Of course, the rough edges need to be smoothed and the overall balance has to be polished to a high degree. More audio tuning options to suit individual tastes would be icing on the cake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Raceracerace

Wow eax. Didn't the sound industry miss many boats over the years! And who can forget the lousy latency of Android for many years.

Just on games and sound. Yes modded things turn it up to 11 on all things but a great game should have consistency and overall production values with sound that is not jarring or out of place. No ams2 doesn't go to great lengths in sound but the driving noises did come a ways. It does what it does, minus the worse engine notes, fairly well and in a complete manner now.
    Edit driving it's very satisfying in 1.2. Raceroom does much the same. There's no roughness to the presentation.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Ettore

Talking of which I have not heard any sound associated with TC cutting ignition in AMS2. The only car I remember hearing something on, is the F V10 Gen2. Anyone else thinking the same?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Just for fun, try turning all the sound sliders down to 0, including the master slider. Then starting with the master bring them up one at a time to see how the sounds actually sound. Drop each slider back to 0 before moving on to the next one. Theres definitely room for improvement. There's a really obtrusive sound nailed into the master slider that means Im running the master low and other sliders high, which means in turn that some sounds dont go high enough.. its all over the place at the moment.. I'll leave an assessment of the individual sliders quality for another day ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Raceracerace

Last few posts all interesting. The other day I wondered if they could program sound to call in reverb at places like imola prior to the straight, by boards, reverb as you approach and pass it changes. I guess replay reverb and physical sound approaching a fixed reference point is programmed already onto the game engine.... Another game did that maybe AC but heck it'd be good in AMS 2 to have it or have it more pronounced or in your face... To effectively change the pitch in places of sound reflection

. 200kms hour means 400kms difference, at a car window, should be a little pitch change where sound reaches your ear twice. I think about a motorbike helmet. 2 things damn the road looks hard from here, the air feels nice and I can see and hear everything including the echo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dean Ogurek

I respectfully disagree about iRacing sounds. When it comes to realism, many (especially newer content) are very good but, the dev's also tend to play it safe in terms of pushing the dynamic effects. I think that's one of the reasons why RaceRoom and some mod'ers are actually getting better results in some ways (mainly replays).

Some Pro Audio Engineers tend to be obsessed with sound quality in samples but, miss what makes the sounds much more exciting for the players. They seem to tailor the sounds using a televised race template where the audio is more normalized, or lacking in drama. Compare that to real life experience of being at the race track in person and you can clearly here the difference.;)

I don't mean to suggest that audio distortion should be used as a general rule, just that a bit of it can be pretty realistic being that our ears have limited tolerance for such extremes.

The GTE cars in AMS2 have that kind of effect, even though the reference sound recordings are not of the best quality, they actually retain more of the car's actual character.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dean Ogurek

RaceRoom has implemented the Ignition-cut (shift-pop) very effectively although, it may apply to cars that don't necessarily exhibit that particular noise. Still, I find it very effective, even from inside the cockpit, at adding another layer of immersion. I don't recall if or how that impacts TC audio though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Im with Dean :):D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Raceracerace

When a car goes past you and you're at a fixed reference point that's true. The sound is above the normal tone and actual cadence of noise around you.

Good point. And it's impactful. Sound, moving through the medium of air, is a physically felt force. In game lol it's probably ok to jolt the crap out of someone now and then with a shock noise from an exhaust, back fire, or revving engine. Animalistic kind of. They could play it up as some of that happens already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Along with smell which is obviously beyond the scope of a sim, its huge in terms of immersion.
    I have contemplated having some hot engine oil in a container next to my rig though.. just saying :whistle:
    On a serious note, realism isnt necessarily the same thing as simulation. I think thats worth bearing in mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Raceracerace

The other thing rroom does to put players in the moment is the shift jolt from the gear change and associated noises. Overdone in some cases but good nonetheless

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

Your not the first person to suggest engaging our sense of smell for simulation use but, you are absolutely right that it has a very powerful effect on us.

No way my wife would stand for it though. I'd have to move my sim-rig out to the garage . . .
    hmm.o_O:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Oh yeah, that thunk of rubber hitting the car has made me duck before now.. brilliant stuff. Variations on the theme would be epic, especially if it gets you twitching about reliability or something..

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Tell her its hot oil and sheep sh*t in the bedroom or a mistress.. she'll be fine when its presented like that..

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Ettore

TC should sound pretty much like a pit limiter, but in AMS2 I can't hear ANY type of sound when the TC is operating in GT3s or GTEs. You see it only in the telemetry but you don't hear it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ettore

Recent content is better quality but still below average. Like the Lambo or the M4 GT3 are not top notch but at least ok.
    Older content even in GT3s class is dreadful... Starting from the Ferraris...

• Creative Creative x 1