1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Has anyone had an issue when running custom championships and once you complete the last round the championship does not end? It seems you can repeatedly rerun the last round and you do not end up with a tick against it that shows it has been completed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

@azaris
    Ah,ok,i thought Vedol is GP+Nordschleife.Sorry!

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I guess you're using a different version of the game...

</sarcasm off>
    There are still some bumps from the rear happening. For example, coming down the mountain esses at Bathurst, which let's be honest due to its trickiness, is likely the last section of track where the AI will be "perfected." you can dice with the AI lap after lap, but then suddenly, doing what you perceive to be the same thing, and boom, slammed up the rear.

But overall, things are progressing (albeit too slowly for those of us who are impatient). One of the issues that I can pinpoint is the differential in speed between AI and human (or even other AI) is the factor that leads to the most problems. As shown in the video above, when everyone is racing competitively, it's mostly good. Add in a much faster AI to the mix, or, a human barging their way through an uncompetitively slower field and things often do not go well.

I believe the problem is simple: as pointed out in the conversation above, we are not being asked to run separate multi-PU computers off to the side to simulate the AI. They are using simplified physics and algorithms. Therefore, it is logical to try to ensure that they can race properly when everyone is behaving in a professional manner (speeds and skills). Then, if they can display some race craft worth bothering further with, start honing the outlier behaviours of how they handle unexpected objects (cars or others) entering their spheres. This includes players who don't how to drive showing up in unexpected places at unexpected speeds, or scenarios that make multi-class racing so exciting where overtaking much slower vehicles quickly and safely needs to occur.

You certainly do not need to do this @azaris, but in the name of science, running the exact same scenario as above, except with the AI at about +5% or +6% faster than the setting you were using and then at -5% or -6% would be informative. For the faster AI, start at the front and the slower start at the back. What happens when you become an on-track obstacle to the AI instead of an equal competitor? What happens when you are trying to get through the field and to the front in the shortest number of laps possible (a great "game" that I like to play myself, but at regular AI strength) with AI that you easily outclass?

These two scenarios could reveal systematic flaws in the AI behaviour. Once those are addressed, there are many, many more series-specific and track (corner/section)-specific tweaks that can fix repeatable problems. Too bad, but there is no magic wand to produce excellent AI, just a lot of grinding which is why reporting specific problems is helpful. Writing off the AI or Reiza as hopeless is fun venting, but is also not true or useful.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yeah that happens to me too. Its not ideal. Hopefully its on the radar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

have run a few races with qualification on, i skipped it to start at the back
    It takes many races to see if there is a difference in the development of the race.
    There are certain places on the track where Ai does not give space on the outside in the turns, so you can end up like Charles Leclerc.

when shenanigan happens it's mostly me;)
    maybe players need to tune aggression:p:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

nvm cbf. It is what it is.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, I verified my installation via steam (everything ok) and deleted my Automobilista 2 folder in .../documents to check if there is any problem with my files in game. Did not change anything; obviously, there is no real weather anymore for me, no matter which date/track I choose.:(

8. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does this include the historic Silverstone variants? I've not been able to race at 1990's Silverstone in most cars with v low ground clearance due to the cars trying to drive over the kerbs (this version having kerbs designed to keep you off them). If this has been sorted, im gunna be well chuffed!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tarmac Terrorist

Nope, sadly no change there, impossible to race there in F Reiza, absoloute wreckfest by 1st, and if not, 2nd corner. Having said that did see someone say GT3 & GTE A.I. are trerrible at Nurburg Veedol. Tried that out to, no problems here at all. Do hope the Silverstone historic, or any track with kerbs like that can be sorted when using low ground clearence cars

10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Silverstone.. Fantastic AI.. No problems here.

Jokes aside, AI seem better behaved in the rain at Veedol. I have no idea how you don't get rammed off the track in turn 1 or bumped around in turn 4 if you try to race mid pack.

What aggression level are you using?

11. F1Aussie

Does anyone know if the AI are affected by puddles? Did some running at a wet hockenheim, on the proper layout not the neutered one and while I was slip sliding around all over the place they were just plowing on through the puddles like they weren't there.

Secondly, are puddles pre-baked when it rains or are they dynamic?

Thirdly I have noticed that the AI are insanely fast in the first 4 or 5 laps before their pace settles down, is this by design?

Finally I also have noticed with real weather enabled that if you exit after qualifying at the race start screen and then go back to the race that quote often the weather is different.

Anyone noticed any of these issues?

12. Tarmac Terrorist

Oh no don't get me wrong, most of the Silverstone variations are just fine, its just the 90's version with the very aggressive kerbing the A.I. Can't handle. At Veedol i think i had aggression set to about 60%. It is sometimes hard to get through turn one there without a scrape, but I don't get rammed off the track, just the odd bump or scrape

13. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Can the AI handle the curbs in historic cars? just asking
    personally F Reiza/low clearance at Historics with accurate high curbs is asking for trouble. AI or player.
    When Spa Historic had its first mention (Devs) it was supposed to be bumpy (Devs) and vids of said bumps RL of the day were shown as example. Imo its not as bumpy as suggested and apart from the nice high curbs , bumpy wise is as smooth as the modern variant, and sadly incorrect in this respect. In stiff group C rouge should be bumpy as hell. It is not
    F reiza At Interlagos historic outer just after release was a nightmare and rightly so (even got air on the home straight bump front wheels!)
    wrong (modern) car on Correct Historic track
    (does not mean it cant be driven its our choice of car we run and where)
    + just like bull ring yesterday ride the sausage at T1at yr own/& car damage risk.

14. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Puddles are pretty much dynamic. Of course it likes specific places to form up
    Probably their tire-fall-off. If you notice discrepancies (so also the other way around and you can't keep up with them after some minutes, it might be worth an AI report)

You mean in (custom) championship? I agree, also had this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

It was certainly the case in PC2 that the ai were not affected by puddles, which caused a lot of issues in that title. Now while AMS2 is a totally different title, its natural given how much architecture is in use from PC2 that some issues would be transferring across. Generally speaking Ive found the balancing of the ai in the wet in both AMS2 and PC2 to be one of the more irksome experiences, but not universally. The Formula Trainer (currently my go to car) seems pretty damn good fun in both dry and wet conditions with the ai generally well balanced but only so long as you stay on the all weather tyre and not change to wets. If you change to wets you'll be 5 seconds a lap faster at least. Its a bit of a lottery I guess, combined with figuring out the parameters that were used to balance (eg tyres). Huge fun slipping and sliding around on all weather tyres in the wet though ;):cool: Ive actually adjusted my throttle pedal sensitivity to make it better balanced for power feed in which helped a lot!!
    Short answer- because of their simplified physics, no.

• Like Like x 2
  16. F1Aussie

Thanks for the reply, yes in custom championship

17. F1Aussie

Let's hope it is something they can work on then.

18. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Be careful, there's a tyre wear bug which slows the AI down up to 2s per lap once the tyre wear gets to around 20%. This unfortunately breaks the "manual force pitstop" workaround. Fuel will work though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  19. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

What did you do to get that fast look to the right @ 45sec, mine pans very slowly to the side and slowly back, which makes it impossible to use?

20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nothing really. Almost default settings (recently cleaned out the My Documents -folder), just mapped the look buttons to the d-pad on my wheel. I use the cockpit camera instead of the helmet camera. Curious why the look left/right is so slow for some folks.