1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Because there is no reason for the car to spin with fresh tires all on grippy part of the track, and rears not overheating (@steelreserv's rule of thumb is to keep front and rear within 5C of each other). If the car setup leans towards understeer mechanically and aerodynamically, and you get it a bit sideways, it will straighten itself back up quite easily. TC will simply make it so that it detects rear slip in this scenario and will not let you make things worse by introducing wheel spin.

Some major sim titles have a tendency to melt the rear tires as soon as they get out of line a bit making it very difficult to save the car. Believe that sort of logic if you will, but I do not. It's another matter with degraded tires and/or dusty driving line.

Do some forced slides for multiple corners however and the rear tires should get out of shape from overheating. Also after a few laps you lose the freshness which can also give you some surprising moments when you're pushing the car. And you might also see a critical temperature imbalance between front and rear tires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

So you’re saying a driver in a real GT3 car could not do a donut with properly heated fresh tires on a new track (or whatever you call the Reiza test track baseline)? I would be surprised if that is true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For donuts you turn TC down btw.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

And overcome grip resistance by revving in 1st gear (or tops 2nd if you have rotational momentum going on).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Hey steelreserv, I don't have a problem with the Porsche, but I do feel like something is not quite right (maybe) with the Mclaren GT3 because I cannot make a 180º spin from a standstill with this car with TC at 0. I'm not talking about wanting the car to spin on throttle under normal driving. I'm talking instead about the type of maneuver that you'll sometimes need to do to straighten the car back after a spun that left you facing the wrong way down the track. With the Mclaren the car just grips under throttle no matter what when I try this.

In ACC (the only other sim where I own the 720S GT3) this car also doesn't want to do a 180º spin with the safe setup and medium TC, but if bring the TC down to 2 or lower then it will work, but in AMS2 it almost seems like TC is still active and preventing the on-throttle spin even at 0.

This is the only GT3 car in any sim that I've played (AC, ACC, rF2, R3E and AMS1 GT3 mods) where I can't do this. The other GT3 cars in AMS2 don't seem to have this problem either with low TC.

Otherwise under heavy breaking or early downshifting during a corner the tires on this car have no issue loosing grip so I guess this ins't just a matter of the tires being too grippy. Would you say this is just a setup issue? And if so can a setup be made that would allow the car to do this maneuver (with low or zero TC) while still remaining stable during normal racing? Or could it be a TC issue?

I don't even know why this bothers me so much since it's not often that I'll spin in such a way as to need to make a u-spin to get back to face the right direction, but even if it's rare, just knowing that I can't do it leaves me feeling like something is not right with the car...

Edit: The "doing donuts" conversation that people are talking above, with zero TC and high reving in first gear, would be similar to the 180º spin that I talked about in this post (kinda), but I can't make it work with the Mclaren GT3.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

I understand, but I am not under the impression you need to turn it off entirely.

7. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

I am in the same boat that it bothers me but probably should just get over it. I do feel the car doesn't just grip when you overpower, so you are punished from overpowering out of corners. It just doesn't feel realistic, and to me, like the TC is always on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the type of post that I want to point out to people. Its not snarky, disingenuous or written trying to put down the game or people who like it.
    This is the type of post that HELPS effect change by identifying issues for discussion so that a fix will come.

And yes the 720s has long and lat slip issues. Lighting up the rears yields no tire heat (which is an indicator of a problem) and no lateral grip loss comes from it either. The car just pushes the fronts around.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. CrimsonEminence

So what do you expect a TC to do if not stopping wheelslip?

We're now at a point where we honestly discuss, how much TC you could use for a donut...?

10. CrimsonEminence

Yup the 720S has some strong portion of longitudinal grip.

It's probably also it's power/torque delivery which is still a bit on the lazy side, paired with its turbo engine.
    Probably subject of further review.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

To elaborate on that.

The GT3 are one of the classes still having quite optimistic (but not totally wrong!) longitudinal grip. The 720S shows it more because of its current torque curve and power delivery.

Cars with still too high longitudinal grip are in the process of getting it scraped off more and more, but it needs to be realized in incremental steps to not mess with handling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

Yes, because if TC1 and TC10 both completely eliminate wheel slip, what is the point of having TC1 through TC10.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

So can you help me (us) out by posting the setup you used to create the spin outs in the Porsche. I want to understand and re-create. It's not clear if this is a problem with my particular version of the game, the game itself, or extremely "safe" default setups.

14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Btw higher TC is for wets etc and lower is for dry track at the moment, right?

15. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Just to note, it's hard to spin out on most cars with fresh warm tires in the stable setup in ACC too. On the agressive it's super easy, on the other hand.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just seen a small update on steam, below 400kbs. Have i missed something? It did'nt have any notes with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

#MeToo
    Capture.PNG

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Manohy

Manohy Member

One suggestion about those interminable setup discussions
    One interesting move that Kunos made to boost ACC popularity and credibility when things were "shaky" was asking to one of their in-house dev to make regular videos to teach people how to make setups. He made many weekly videos about it.
    Here is his Youtube channel as an illustration

No offense to @steelreserv but may be people are waiting for someone from Reiza to explain and share tips about the sim technical stuffs in the form of regular videos. Whatever we will say YouTube is a very important part of the sim racing ecosystem and any sim has to have strong positive presence inside it to grow in 2021.

The actual confusion is generated by the fact that people need to be sure if for example the GT3 low or high grip, bouncy cars etc are Reiza deliberate choice/feature or they are bugs. If they are features, people will accept them better if Reiza devs and engineers assume and justify them directly and teach them how to setup the sim accordingly.

If they are bugs, it's not very good for the sim reputation to let the fans justify them as this may upset more people. I'm going to be hated for what I'm going to say but it happens that fans often use heart not brain. As an example I've seen some arguments between small pro AMS2 YouTube channels and some big YouTube sim channel. The days following the arguments the big channels were ditching AMS2...Needless to explain that those events have consequences one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RDG

RDG Active Member

You typically either turn TC off, or hold the TC override.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Theres a tc OVERIDE CONTROL?

• Informative Informative x 1