1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.2.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If MP-lobby hosts a race without damage on Salvador you can wallbanging one or two corners. Reminds me of Gran Turismo 1 & 2, haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Aha,that's the point!
    An old prover says: "If you don't have a clue, just shut up."

• Dislike Dislike x 5
  3. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

That's rather dumb. I am new to sim racing and hope some people here know exactly what car should do. I would like to know too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Then it is better not to compare car X from Sim Y with car A from Sim B and then make a conclusion that sim isn't right. More coffee...:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Rear engined cars are usually prone to understeer at corner exits, when nailing the apex (but having a bit of a traction advantage, especially with modern tires, which doesn't have to necessarily apply for the Carrera though) and being nervous under braking and mid corner pushing out the rear weight, leading into oversteer when not nailing the apex (or being too early on throttle, which can lead to unexpected behaviour, instead of using the rear traction).

The lower the speed and gear, the more prone they get to overturn. They're initially agile, but tend to not stick with it, because the weight distribution is not helping it, so you start more balancing it on the rears, than driving it by the fronts, that have less contact to the road often.

The Carrera RSR has Bias Ply tires in addition, which has a bit different and more inconsistent behaviour of its contact patch, it's footprint is just "smaller" which has influence on road contact of course.

The car is also known for slight "wandering" on straights and being easy under the limit, but a widowmaker over it. The huge rear tires are there for a reason...to keep the rear as settled as possible.

Regarding diff lock: The car is known to have a quite high locked diff, typical for Porsche especially coast side, also a measure to keep the rear settled.

If you want some more rotation, give it some more "violent" lateral weight transfer. If you want stability, be patient with throttle input.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
  6. Supermax

Supermax BANNED BANNED

Any thoughts on the changes they made to the GROUP A cars? Before the update, the Mercedes-Benz DTM was outstanding, and i really mean outstanding!! After update it feels like they are way off again!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. CrimsonEminence

The old tire of the Gr.A had an imbalance in grip build-up, it was making the car hitting bumpstops, making them traction roll and wobble all over the place after hitting high kerbs, not allowing on-throttle oversteer, because of tire fire and steering weight was ramping up horribly strong.

The cars likely will receive some further setup tweaks, they're a bit all over the map right now, but they were certainly not outstanding from a technical point of view. :D

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

The Porsche RSR has very similar behaviour to the Raceroom version, for the most part, but in Raceroom the oversteer when it happens feels more natural, while in AMS2 it can be a bit "unannounced" almost, like sometimes the front tires will suddenly grip when you don't excpect them to, in the middle of a corner... even then the cars in both sims have more in common than I tought they would have and I enjoy them both but slightly prefer the Raceroom version.

The Salvador track is a welcome addition. I have fond memories of racing this track in several AMS1 championships and it was fun.

Unfortunately the Mclaren GT3 still feels like a fantasy car to me...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

At least I tried to sidestep this forced "destroying" of my controller settings by saving the default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav in Documents before the upd.
    But even after I had re-copied this backup back after the upd then this also became "destroyed" first time I started AMS2 up after the upd.o_O
    Probably because Reiza want to be absolutely sure you cannot re-use your old settings.

ByTheWay: And I can tell you that because of my pretty special 100% handcontrolled wheel it takes more than 1H to calibrate it to something useable.:mad:
    Because I both have to undercalibrate the 100% range and then tweak the 90 degr movement to make the total wheel range pretty unlinear.:eek:

10. Richirichi

Richirichi Member

Then i must have misinterpreted, ‘enough of cars & tracks’‍♂️

11. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

I will echo the sentiments about the old RSR having unpredictable and unnatural feeling lift-off oversteer in low-speed corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Only AMS2, could you get this polar opposite reaction. :)
    I just took the RSR for a first spin around Spa (modern), and I'm saying I'm more aligned with buddhatree.
    Thought it was fantastic once the the tires were warm. Everything I was expecting from a mid 70's tin top.

Thank you Reiza for another great update!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you REIZA to bring back one of your roots !
    Great work:)
    ss134951.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

It seems wall riding is fast in AMS2 TT, 2nd place at Salvador in the 74 RSR rides turn 2 and is clearly gaining plenty of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I wanted to try out R3E new ffb(which is excellent, new ui is really helpful too) so I did a little A/Bing between the 911 GT3 R. It's basically exactly as you describe with those two cars as well. There are lots of similarities between how the two feel, but in AMS 2 things seem more unpredictable. The way the front suddenly almost violently finds grip and drags you in a direction in low speed corners and on corner exit can be quite unnerving.

Overall I find when I jump into the car/s in R3E I feel comfortable far sooner and pushing the car to best of my limited ability is less terrifying. In AMS 2 I'm always nervous, races in particular are much more clench inducing affairs. No idea which is the more realistic of the two. Anyway today I will spend some time dialing in the default ffb and trying to dial in a custom profile to see if I can mitigate some of my issues that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I have spend the weekend with a 1982 Porsche 911 SC, it's not that exagerated at all, particularly not on a dry road. Your're simpy NOT catching the rear all the time at slow speed with low to no power input.

Again I found the default settings simply bad, this time including the gear ratios which are out of spec. for any of the 915/x type gearboxes.

This AMS2 RSR 3.0 is, again, like the Carrera Cup and GT4 Cayman, a car which does in no way resemble the real cars, is just insanly uncomfortable/difficult to drive, and can't be repaired by a better setup, because the even the OEM vales are locked.

Try better, and I may be back next month.

Until them, I'm out, lookign for a better Simulator. I am losing patience and confidence with Reiza and AMS2.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  17. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Has anyone started a custom championship since the update? I did tonight and the practice and qualifying sessions default to the race start time, nothing you can do changes it.

18. macbtz

macbtz Member

And I suppose they haven't fixed the, the obligatory stop. I haven't been able to prove it yet.

19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is still greyed out when you choose a timed race.

20. CrimsonEminence

Out of interest, do you know, on what tire the car was?

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.