1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.2.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

We all have our liked and disliked cars. This is expected if they reward different driving styles. So even with 100% accurate cars (not saying they are now) I would expect to see polarising feedback. Maybe some are based on more than personal taste too and devs will have fun determining that :D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

I agree, and it's not so much the "difficult to drive" thing either.
    It feels incredibly vague throughout, steering inputs are just written requests, that may, or may not end up in a drawer somewhere.
    Especially the slower corners are an absolute bear to get 'round. Understeer all the way, until SNAP! and then it wants to oversteer, even at 5 mph?!(I feel this has been somewhat fixed here and there, the group A for example, talking about the 'excessive' slip behaviour at lower speeds)

With the critique out of the way, I kinda do enjoy it, as said, looks and sounds mighty fine.
    I've noticed that to me, it makes a lot more sense on an old school track, as opposed to some narrow, ultra-technical course, that is arguably better suited towards current classes.
    I like it better than the one in AC, with which I never got on.

I'd like to end on a question though: Does this thing not like to go in a straight line? I mean, I've already twiddled with the toe-in, but every little bump seems to unsettle the rear to the extent that even the briefest lapses in focus might send you off. It's so nervous... It's like it never settles, not even on a straight.

EDIT: For those looking for a setup, Steelreserv has posted the quickest time @ modern Imola.
    Idk if this is still a WIP, but it felt a lot better than default.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Modern Goodyears, you can't buy 80's tyres in 2021.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For what it's worth.

porsche 911 sc sound

• Like Like x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

The Carrera 3.0 RSR is on 70s Biasply....that's the thing. Tire tech has moved on significantly. The SC is also the successor and less powerful.
    Just taking this for what it's worth. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

You my friend, have the patience of a Buddha ;) I want some of what you're drinking..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. McClutch

205/55 front and 225/50 rear treaded tyres for sure have less contact patch than those hughe slicks on the RSR. Tyre alone do not explain why the tail will want to slide around at low speeds even without power input, and tyres also don't explain why I can't use OEM settings for that car in this game, particularly front positive toe in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

Like stated, just a FWIW. Still the way a tire is constructed does a lot to its behaviour, not speaking absolutes here, but it's still a comparison between 2 different configurations of cars.

I'm not sure how it is in comparison of Super Carrera and Carrera RSR 3.0 regarding OEM values. I'm also not sure, how positive front toe would make sense for a race car, tbh., is there a reason for this setting? I would rather use zeroed toe at the front tbh., not sure if it is against the straightline instability?

10. sk8

sk8 Member

Formula Retro gen 1 is plagued with this. Quite immersion breaking. It's the most glaring flaw in AMS 2 for me. Watch Niels Heusinkveld's vid on 1991 F1 pron in AMS 1 for realistic physics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

For those who hang their heads in disbelief at the effects of tyres, my real world little sports car would spin in third gear in the wet if I was heavy with the throttle. Then I put some slightly better tyres on that to the naked eye seemed identical. Now my car is planted and very nicely balanced. Not sure if I had a dodgy set but it was pretty lethal for a while..
    Of course Im not seeking to downplay any issue reported that might indeed be a valid concern. How else do we find problems and issues if its not for people reporting them. An interesting personal experience though. Not sure it contributes anything to the discussion...

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know a lot are complaining about the 1974 Porche RSR and everything comes down to bias ply tires.

If you’ve never driven on bias ply tires in real life, then you might not understand how bad they are and how bad the contact patch is when turning. The contact patch on a bias ply tire shrinks and lifts as you turn because the tread part of the tire starts to get bunched up because of how the tire is made. My dad had an old car with bias ply tires when I got my license and driving it at any sort of normal speed (in ‘97 when I got my license) around a turn was an adventure to say the least. Given this wasn’t on a track or anything but the tires just acted very differently than radials.

There’s a reason they aren’t really used anymore and it’s because radials are better in every aspect.

Some reading about bias-ply tires:

Tire Tech

Pros and Cons of Radial vs. Bias-Ply Tires in Construction

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. McClutch

You can have the same effect with reducing tyre pressure about 0.2 bar. I was not able to get my tyre m,ake of choice a whilw ago and had to take what was available. that -0.2 helped a lot in the wet.
    BUT. i tried it with the vintage 911 RSR, it has no effect. I suspect the culprit to be somewhere else, not in setup, not in tyre simulation, but in the code.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

This is also my main suspicion tbh.

Especially also, because simulations rarely simulate a "true" (well it's still fake of course) Bias Ply...the reason, why also F-Retro feel so different to the AMS1 version.

For the wandering/pendulum on straights, it's a property of this car to begin with and might be amplified by FFB for some reason.

Worth checking, if the own FFB is very prone to oscillations and maybe considering to add a bit of ingame damping (which applies for fast accelerations of the wheel in AMS2) and reducing LFB, if active.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have zero confidence that older Pacejka based sims are able to model the difference between bias-ply and radial tyres at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Tires can make a massive difference in handling. I learned from heavy towing applications in RL. Different Rubber compound + sidewall flex can change the handling characteristics in such a way that you would swear you were driving a completely different vehicle, maybe even one with severe steering issues.:eek:o_O:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. mdecker79

The very hard part is..

Driving a GT3 car around a track and enjoying the grip level you have.

Then hopping into the '74 RSR and realizing how much slower you have to drive because of the difference in grip levels.... Also how much sooner you need to brake then turn in to the corner and how much you need to lightly work the throttle on exit which takes a lot of time to get used to and very frustrating as well.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the info. I did that, set the deadzone to the absolute minimum, and now it's even worse/definitely not better. Gotta be honest here, I'm pissed off as all hell about this. Almost 800 hours of good fun on a continuously improving game, and now I can't drive it anymore.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

True. It can also be the case when switching between different simulations. That may actually be a way to improve our own adaptability in driving cars with very different handling characteristics.

20. mdecker79

I don't personally have an issue with it as I enjoy the 'grind' of learning a new car and or a new track. It's just the large difference in grip is an eye opener when you first jump into it and that's not a complaint.

I also enjoy driving with no helpers at all in any class on any of the different games I play. This does make it harder but more fun in the end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.