1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I have no doubt a group of cars in my mirror with all settings maxed out will tank my framerate.
    But Im pretty sure I was not maintaining 90fps on the Nordschleife in the dark before and now even with one or two cars following me it was very consistent. (88.7 avg)

That said a big group of cars isnt usually something that occurs during the entire race so it should level out as the race goes on.
    Its usually the starts that are the worst in any sim on any rig.

I kinda gave up on nightracing before but I just had a really fun couple runs in the dark.

2. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I’m struggling with the inconsistency above anything else. There’s been 3 times in the last week I though I’d cracked it, had a great experience for an hour… shouted about it and then restarted an hour later and it’s pants again.

I’m wondering if it’s an AMD thing, a Nvidia driver thing, a SteamVR thing, a G2 thing…. A game thing… So many variables. But a colleague in same situation fires up PC2 with same settings and it’s butter.

stumped!

3. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Hah, just be glad youre not a huge ACC fan.
    I gave up on VR for that sim. AMS2 is actually a lot better optimised and Im surprised youre running into these problems.

I tried a lot of different things to make ACC run smooth and Im running the same settings now for AMS2 with great results.
    At what resolution are you running steam VR resolution per eye?
    And how much for the “per app” settings?

4. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I’m thinking it’s a game thing, perhaps only when combined with WMR? I have zero issues with other games and my HP Reverb G2. Additionally, when I had the Valve Index headset, I didn’t encounter the same issue (or at least I don’t recall having any). So, my best guess at the moment is AMS2+WMR=CPU utilization inconsistencies.

5. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I've just had a few races and all ok. I've taken Lasso off as I think Oculus tool tray puts my CPU on high. Just thought I'd mention it

6. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Just to "chip" in on performance fluctuations. I 've had none.

I used to have an oculus rift CV and a 2070 super card. Then I moved to a Reverb G2 headset. Recently I upgraded my GFX card to a 6900XT. I also upgraded from a 2700x to 5800x CPU.

In all of my configurations performance has always been super predictable since AMS2 came out. The only thing that sets up performance is rain / night racing and mostly because of car headlights.

To get the performance I want I go to the track which gives me poorest performance, which used to be SPA (not anymore after recent update with optimizations). I then set the settings so that my gpu is never exceeding 90% usage in daylight. This guarantees flawless 90fps performance on all tracks with all AI cars consistently no dips ever.

The only issue I had when going to G2 is that motion smoothing was not working well with AMS2. It would many times brake for no apparent reason (fps goes up motion smoothing stops). which is annoying because I prefer to put it on automatic so it automatically activates when cars are putting on their headlights. Yesterday however I found out that to rely on auto motion smoothing I have to set force directx 11 mode on in the WMR settings within steamvr. Then it works significantly better for my setup. Yesterday I had awesome nighracing with only very minimal stuttering because motion smoothing was slightly misbehaving every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adam-80UK

Adam-80UK Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have the mirrors changed? My view in them barely moves with head movement now, I'm sure it used to follow my head 1:1.

8. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

What settings do you have in tray tool?

9. Rob Davies

Ok, more info for @Chip and gang from yet another night of testing (sorry for long post).... but progress! (I think).... I delved deep into the rabbit hole of WMR/G2/SteamVR and DCS/Elite forums to get other folks' experiences with fluctuating framerates and low GPU/CPU, especially in reprojection..... here's where I got to tonight which is the best performance from all testing yet.

Remember, 5950x/3090/G2/32GB - so I'm sure a lot of this will be WMR/G2/Nvidia Driver and even AMD dependant.... so your mileage may vary!

IMPORTANT - I learnt this tonight...in order to have wildly different experiences between gaming sessions whilst previously trying to tune them in. ...

1. When loading the game, do it in this order. Fire up WMR, then Steam, then SteamVR, then AMS2.
    2. When changing settings (Nvidia, Steam, or other)..., exit game, CLOSE and then restart steamVR before then restarting AMS2.

This gave be much more predictable results, and the previous WTF, I didn't change anything and it's gone to sh!t stopped happening.... GREAT, a baseline to test from.

I'm also driving a baseline to try and benchmark against with a goal of a solid 45fps/repro. Here, it's Donny in the Cat Superlights - 13/10/2020 at 4pm (real-weather... raining!) in a race with a full grid. As I got this close to perfection, I tried Suzuka at 7pm (same date) and night still KILLS things... but it's easier to see the impact on settings at Suzuka due to it starting off at 25fps. I'm running Steam at 100% SS and force-on in SteamVR app settings (I've left the WMR setting to Steam-app setting, not motion reprojection).

- HAGS ON. This definitely improved things
    - WMR Setting (in VR overlay) - Force DX11 Mode (edit: faster, but does reduce graphics lighting quality… have reverted this)
    - Nvidia Control Panel
    - Threaded optimisation: OFF (definite impact)
    - Power Management: Prefer max perf.
    - Low Latency: ULTRA (definite impact)
    - Triple Buffering: ON (who knows...)
    - VSync: ON (who knows....)

The other thing I did as an AMD user was disable all PBO and OC in the bios - this DEFINITELY helped with frame stability too.

With this I can see it's the GPU running out of steam before frame drops as it's regularly in high 80's or early 90's before this happens.

Hope this helps.... I'll keep testing.... one day we'll get there!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

These are what I'm using at the moment.

Attached Files:

11. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks man much appreciated

Baz

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great info! I will try to test tonight. Are you still using Lasso program as well?

13. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

My Changes to help with VR:
    nvidia install
    How to Optimize Windows 10 for Gaming and Performance
    Disable Indexing on Windows 10 Installation

OpenVR_FSR_1.1.zip for AMS2 FSR for OpenVR
    files found here: ---

Other things I've done
    virtual monitor pre-allocation:

1. Launch Registry Editor
    2. Navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic”
    3. If the “PreallocateVirtualMonitors” REG_DWORD is not present, create it by selecting Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and entering PreallocateVirtualMonitors as the name
    4. If the “PreallocateVirtualMonitors” REG_DWORD is present (or you just created it), double-click the entry and change “Value data” to 0
      Then reboot your system

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

My nvidia control panel isn’t the same as what’s in your pictures??? Looks similar but I have some different options.

15. Rob Davies

Welcome back Steve, we’ve been eagerly waiting for you! Thanks for this, will start tinkering.

just to be clear, you’re getting 90fps at ultra in all conditions at 350% SS on G2/3090 combo? With a bit of help from OpenVR FSR? Just wondering what I’m shooting at. To be fair I’ll be over the moon at 100%SS and true 90fps on the G2

Which Nvidia driver version please? Game ready or other? OpenVRFSR settings?

any other SteamVR/WMR stuff we need to know? Are you AMD CPU too?

thanks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  16. Steve Young

350 was a bit much, I usually go for about 250-275
    OpenVR FSR
    renderScale": 0.69
    tune sharpness to about .73
    Nvidia Driver is the latest 471.96 using NVCleanstall_1.10.0 just checking these options

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steve Young

Here are my system specs:
    Z390 AORUS ULTRA, i9-9900K CPU @3.60GHz, O/C to 5.1GHz , 1TB PCIe SSD, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GEForce RTX3090, AccuForce Pro V2 Steering System, Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3, SHH Shifter, HP Reverb G2

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob Davies

Thanks - out of interest, why not 100% without OpenVR FRS?

I'm also slightly different on the Nvidia driver options.... but just waiting for the indexing disablement to finish and then I'll be giving it a blast!

19. Rob Davies

no overall difference for me.

20. Steve Young

Wow, that is shocking! after all those changes I saw double performance. Don't know what else to help with. 100 % steam vr is what I'm using.. Only 200 - 250% SS on per application for ASM2. Just looks clearer. Don't know about AMD vs Intel?