1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It means that ME has all the elements of the driveline simulated in details up to the tires. So all the inertias of components, slipping parts and up to the tire flex etc are accounted for. Those matters have an influence into how the driveline ultimately perform and how it is perceived by the users. That is why you may have noticed in past updates changes in weights and inertia values for example. Their tuning has turned out to be a significant contributor to better physics and in some cases LSD has benefitted by better tuning of those driveline components to provide a crispier behavior.

Frankly I don't recall anyone saying so here. If anything users have always pointed to aspects that still are due some improvements and Reiza has always said that things would keep being improved at least until end of 2022. Sounds quite an extreme appraisal of previous conversations to say that physics was declared done and dusted especially considering the amount of physics changes that keep dropping at every update.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Totally agree. AMS2's growth is a process: the improvements in the driving experience, the content, the increase in play modes and their reliability all (will) concur to bring in more people and none of them alone can do the magic.
    As does a proper information by reviewers and YTers on the sim which so far hasn't always been the case.
    Honestly, considering how the developers have been persistent in their commitment I have no doubt the quality of the mature product will be great, so I think the most critical point going forward will be reaching players and having them consider the sim for what it is and not for what they heard somewhere else it is.
    If that is achieved I believe we may have some further surprises in terms of tracks and cars content.
    All good reasons to keep good hope :D

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

"Drive-train elasticity" has to do with various elements, not just the gear-box (or transmission), it includes flex in drive-shafts, half-shafts, gears, etc. As power / coast / interruption events occur (traction loss), the combined flex in the drive-line creates oscillations. Such oscillations can be quite violent in RL, and provide physical effects for those with a motion system / tactile chassis system in simulation.

Examples of effective drive-line physics in other titles include RaceRoom and iRacing. Bean NG also models them.

Doh, ninja'd by Ettore. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the explanation, amazing the detail that can be simulated now!

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pretty impressive stuff, I do have tactile on each corner, will be interesting to see how this will benefit from the changes coming up.

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

It likely depends on your tactile setup. I used to have a very large transducer mounted to my seat, that actually worked pretty effectively. Smaller ones may not have much impact caused by the drive-train modeling.

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It was said, that things need to settle down from bigger revisions for a while, so it can be discovered further and the game around the sim can improve.

At no point it has been said, that physics of the game will never be touched again.

General note (not specifically for you but overall)

Just because there are months without any visibly updated progress on personal favourite features and parts of the game, doesn't mean that there isn't some progress coming anymore. Things every now and then just need a bit time.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I find this obession with discussing attracting new players to be perculiar. Obviously having a bigger player population for online sakes is wanted players that race online, but this discussion pops up everytime Reiza annouce an update.

Reiza are adding more and more content, they displayed a racing profile for online play, and continue to work on improving the physics. Obviously people wanted the multiplayer profile and multiplayer improvements sooner, but Reiza are delivering on what they have said and in a much faster time line than other studios can claim.

This is while Reiza are also providing massive updates for offline racers which may not mean much to online players, but as an offline player myself I can honestly say it is a breath of fresh air seeing Reiza support offline racers.

I guess I'm left wondering what in your opinion would be expected of Reiza in order to meet your expectations of attracting new players? They are bringing popular content in more GT cars in multiple classes, they are adding popular tracks, some of which are rarely seen in other sims, and they are providing a multitude of racing series.

I think you're focusing too much on their new partnership which is really just extra advertising for the game which should lead to more eyes on the sim in the region that show airs. Think of it as an extra benefit for the sim than something Reiza is placing all their eggs into without anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, BS8 is a historic car which has been used 1x to win Le Mans.
    919 is a 3x Le Mans and 3x WEC Champion, one of the most successful and dominating prototypes of all times prevailed against the strongest competitors during a period of high sophisticated technology ever used in race cars. The 919 became legendary while still racing. But personal opinion and taste for sure.

Dream would come true if both could find their way into the game. However if LMP1 is not possible, BS8 would make me happy too ;). The roster of cars we have is already very diverse and nice. All coming an appreciated and valuable update.
    I'm not the guy who praised reiza much in the past. Thanks @Renato Simioni , @CrimsonEminence and the entire team for this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

It’s rather immersive in said sims, but also keep in mind that flex can soak up slight undulations so the diff and tires aren’t the only flexpoints (slip). Source: Project Cars 3 dev blog :D.

I doubt it’s ”this one trick that makes your sim drive extra well”, but as AMS2 has its foundation better and better, things add up :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Great stuff Reiza!

VW TSI Cup? So this means we are going to also have the racing versions of the vw street cars?

Also, how exactly the ability to 'mod AI driver names and performance' will work? Is this smth that the players will do? Or reiza?

12. CrimsonEminence

You will be able to edit AI names and personalities by yourself. At first it will be a deal of text file editing, but at least you can practically then mod livery packs with appropriate driver names, for example. Gives nice opportunities! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I see. But, wouldn' t be better if reiza did this? And free us from this hussle? Or maybe give us the possibility to 'download' the file from a server (where someone will already have upload the newly edited 'file' with the altered grid names)?

Don't know, just wondering..:)

Nevertheless that' s great news!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sure you'll see AI text files being uploaded here or elsewhere pretty quickly for various series. It should be pretty trivial for the majority of people, to edit a list of names and store it somewhere for later use. I'm fine with this as an interim solution, even as a long term one it's not that big a deal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  15. pitkin

pitkin New Member AMS2 Club Member

How would they know what names you wanted in your series? For example, I like to do a Fantasy series with my favourite drivers from different racing series. If editing a few text files is all I have to do to achieve this, then bravo to Reiza.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

How many tracks are expected in USA part 2?

17. CrimsonEminence

Like mentioned in the Dev Blog, the process of editing AI names and personalities will be streamlined in the future, so the hassle becomes less for the end user.
    ----------------------
    Don't forget, that just so much can be done at once. The schedule is already really monstrous, they need some room to breathe! :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

I guess the answer is: Reiza already did this with the current AI.
    Now they gave you/us the opportunity to change it to adapt it to our liking.
    And as Chonk said: these will pop up here no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

Editing a few text files is a piece of piss.

I've had to do wayyy more to get rF2 to work with custom drivers, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll probably wang together an Excel spreadsheet that can auto generate the text files from a list of data.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. sci006

sci006 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Cleveland, Surfers Paradise? and ????????

We find out on the 19th Nov

???????? = Road America or Mid-Ohio for my guess or maybe Portland or if Reiza are really focusing on tracks not in other sims then Portland (sorry apparently Portland is in rFactor2)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021