Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yes initially now I use that of Domagoj Lovric ;)
    With V10Gen2 the Jolt is here on the parabolic....

2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

So I just did a few tests with the file (same car and track as you) and I can't reproduce the forced steering to the right. I even used your FFB settings as I thought it was maybe gain, lfb or fx but i don't get that in the same car.

What I do get is quick jolts as you move from concrete slab to concrete slab, but that was not the issue I or others had. The issue was the steering being completely overcome and turning right with max force.

Can you maybe give me more details?

Edit: I don't have a way to test this on my G29 as I would need to switch the wheelbases on the rig, so I went as far as setting the CSL DD to full power and no damping, with 100 Gain ingame and after a very shakey test, the steering still isn't being overcome

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

There is still a heavy bump feeling, because there is a couple of significant bumps , but the violent jerk left or right is cured. that was the issue, which with a higher strength set up was quite dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Stakanov

Thanks for your attention, no I am not referring to the right or left effect but to a shock-bump effect that occurs with similar dynamics only on the parabolic, with high gain it amplifies but with low gain it remains in the background.
    It is an off-scale jolt cadenced in a rhythmic way that seems to increase exponentially with increasing speed, it could be physically linked to the passage from one concrete slab to another but it is really too much in fact every jolt sends the wheel into clipping (even with reduced gain ) ... also the telemetry confirms it and I am attaching two screenshots

EDIT: As you can see in the telemetry all 5 force bars are very low so the wheel has ample headroom except when it bounces it shoots up sending the force into intermittent clipping.

Nuova immagine bitmap (2).jpg

Nuova immagine bitmap2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Yes that is when you cross slabs (Let's call it Slab Jolt)
    Then it becomes a matter of tuning the file further as Dom only looked at the issue because of the Steering Jolt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stakanov

@Shriukan I write a nonsense ... it is as if during the passage from one concrete slab to another a microbump, a largetrackbump and a largeoffroadbump occur at the same time ... this is why in the last few days I have tried to look for imperfections in Karsten's own customized file in those parts of code ... if you see my previous posts I still have doubts about a couple of lines that deal in common both bump in the track and off road ones ;)

7. Stakanov

I don't know if you feel less on your wheel, but here on a Logitech basis it's much more than a couple of heavy jolts, here we have a jolt for every concrete block of the parabolic curve ... and I agree with you that the violent right left has been resolved but I must say that even now at maximum speed, with V10Gen2 the jolt is so energetic that the car slides towards the inside of the curve ... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. TonyM

TonyM New Member

Just got AMS2 a week ago and now finally starting to get all settings right....
    Coming from ACC I am little bit disappointed by the FFB of AMS2.

I am using a Simucube 2 Pro:

.....Is there any good settings in game and in the True Drive of Simucube 2 that are recommended ?

9. Kuku

it’s is a rough ride , and is meant to be. but i did use to get clipping on my t300.
    but not now on my Simagic DD.
    i’ve been tied up trying to adjust the simagic to ams2.
    but i’ve 95% got it sorted and will upload a file this weekend that i think should work well with any wheel base.

You may need to add some smoothing to bumps , but also there’s a lot going on in your file, some of it is perhaps duplicating the same function.
    ie there’s more than one form of tyre deform and other forces related to tyre and rack that possibly exaggerate things.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stakanov

Kuku you are right some aspects on my modified file appear to be duplicated but have different nuances .... regardless, since the files we make are used by many, I out of habit do all my tests first on the original Karsten's file and only after i trasfer on my file (to avoid mistakes to the others as much as possible) ... so if we use the same version of the file the difference between us could be only the steering wheel ... but I assure you that on Logitech (with high gain) the jolts with normal custom 4.6 on the parabolic with V10Gen2 and F.Ultimate are too exaggerated and with sporadic slips (rude yes but not a fight) ... so I think it is a defect to be solved (which does not happen in Reiza's default FFB), that the change on the caster has only slightly attenuated in the slip aspect and where surely in some steering wheels you will notice less.
    As soon as we identify the problem, as you say, we will be able to smooth out the jolts I'm sure.

By the way, congratulations on yours new Simagic DD ;) ... sooner or later I'll make the jump too. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kuku

i think what i’m feeling now since Doms fix is quite believable. just because default ffb doesn’t do it doesn’t mean the physics of it aren’t there to be felt . it just doesn’t go to that level of detail.
    it can be quite harsh without a dash of smoothing and also lower fx value.
    I do think there is a strange mesh in that section still where the high side and low side seem to be opposed.

what i’ve learned since upgrading is that there isn’t a big need for high and low end files. what worked on the t300 can work well on DD too.
    there is some trial and error in getting Wheel software in tune but not so much the files.
    In fact the software for tge simagic is needing a little more improvement, it actually was giving less fine details than the t300 and i’ve needed to raise texture feel and alter scrub to get it back to what i’m used to .
    But outside of that it’s all very compatible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Stakanov

I don't know what to tell you ... I'm happy for you but here on the parabolic curve we have repeated gunshots and not a high level of detail (the whole station dances to me and I don't have a DD) ... otherwise everything is perfect including Doms correction ... and of course I can lower gain and fx (Peter does this) but the jolts are only attenuated and I lose in all other aspects and situations ... in this condition I prefer to stay where I am with my settings and change on default only when I'm on Monza ... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Manolo

Manolo Member

While not technically understanding what to recommend, I take the liberty of giving my contribution by having a Logitech myself.
    I tried to load the DomFix file, that of Kuku, that of Stakanov, that of Peter and finally the original of Karsten, all in version 4.6. I used 2 machines, the Gen2 and the Ultimate, and in the game I used Stakanov's values ie 95-30-30-55 in the track Monza 10K!

ON THE PARABOLIC CURVE THE CAR IS UNDRIVABLE, THE SHOCKS ARE DRY AND REPEATED AND SOMETIMES THE CAR SLIDES TO THE RIGHT, lowering the values the situation does not become manageable but only more attenuated.

I hope it helps to understand, but Stakanov does not exaggerate here on Logitech we really dance and then maybe on DirectDrive it feels less!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Manolo

Manolo Member

Try Stakanov's file (all in one v2 or v3), but also last file version of PeterStafani and Kuku are good. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Kuku

I had the same problem on T300 , it clipped and used every bit of the peak force available on these bumps.
    The bumps are real and what you are feeling is the car bottoming out . if you bottom out at speed the car will move off line.
    the problem is you are feeling it too strongly.
    I suspect that is because gain ( peak forces) are so high. but i understand that you need it high because it adds more weight and resistance etc.
    So the thing that you logitech guys need to find is how to alter the file to give more headroom. ie lower gain but still nice low load feel and weight.
    I would see to start with zero static force removal . and see if that helps you be able to lower overall gain.

16. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The logitech Gaming controllerSoftware does not alow to alter the different static, dynamic spring and damping forces like the TM driver does.

17. Kuku

t
    the thrustmaster software is just as basic.
    i’m talking about in file .

18. Manolo

Manolo Member

Sorry for delay @Kuku Maddog but before answering you i wanted to test all your previous Delta, V1, V2, V3, High files in addition to the last one published, but I can't find one that minimizes the jumps/jolt during the Monza parabolic, I tried to lower and higher the entries in the file related to the static force but nothing works! :mad:
    Where are these your files and/or your instructions and/or value from which this effort on T300 to solve the Jolt problem is highlighted?o_O

Why if you believe that there is a defect, do you continually belittle it?
    Of course the bumps are real but it's the FFB Custom that doesn't represent them in a real way on parabolic.and comparing myself with others, it is not only the logitech base that suffers, I begin to not understand you.

Is the gain high? But have you seen Stakanov's telemetry? The forces are all low even with high gain and only the jolt makes the red bar jump up intermittently! It's a defect not an a wrong setting and not a simple abnormal micro/largebump to smooth and we guys at Logitech do not understand the reluctance to believe that there is a defect, it comes to say that it is normal that the car slams under the bottom, that the default FFB of Reiza does not do the defect because it does not work or because it is not said that the default is correct, they seem to me to be stances that are difficult to sustain, it would no longer be useful to find a solution so that the defect is resolved, if the problem for you is not noticed or not relevant, it is not discussed.
    Sorry Kuku I don't mean to be rude you are a pillar in this forum but i expect solutions (values, codes and files) ;), plus I also apologize to @Stakanov (since I mention it) that which in my opinion should make him a saint for patience, but we need a solutions NOT A PLACEBO and now for this only Stakanov (with its research on the code and its limitations), @Domagoj Lovric (who now published his right-left fix) and @Karsten Hvidberg (when him was on the forum) are the only that i can see struggling to technically try to solve the defect, the rest seems to me chatter and philosophy.

For one parabolic curve you cannot twist a file or setting and make a steering wheel work very badly, this is not a solution, I agree with Stakanov that if a solution is not found, the custom file must be used for everything and no for Monza and swiching to the default,

EDIT: Not to be nice to you but, now that I've tried your files well, I forgot to compliment you on your files which I found very pleasant almost like those optimized for Logitech, good job!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  19. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I’m glad to hear your new wheelbase arrived, and I’m looking forward to trying your next file!

20. Kuku

we aren’t actually in disagreement , when this track specific issue arose the the first time, we did identify that aside from the side to side jolt, ( which is what we referred to as the jolt, not the harsh bumps in general)
    It was noticed that the banked section of track had a hyperactive state that made bump forces go through the ceiling.
    This hasn’t changed, but it seems the lower powered wheels struggle with it more than higher.
    I never made a file specifically to reduce this effect, because like you say it’s not worth it for a small section of the total track menu.
    And also myself and others spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a workaround for the Jolt, but ultimately failed to do so.
    It required expertise and I have to laugh when Dom “briefly” looks at it and fixes it just like that. ;)

Again I’ve have stated multiple times there is something funky with the track mesh in this section, and the custom file is able to pick this up, when the default doesn’t.
    But with a little more smoothing to bump affects or general load it can be made a little more comfortable, but doesn’t flatten the bumps at all.
    maybe one day Karsten may be able to include something to limit max bumps or something ?

Because on this section of track there seems to be nothing to constrain peak bump force, especially if Gain values are high.