1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.0.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.0.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Spie

Spie Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone else here prefer the default ffb over default+. I'm finding while I prefer default+ in the braking zone, default gives me better feeling of the weight of the car and just feels more natural overall. I find default+ too light right in the middle. I also get way more clipping when I spin out in default+, where i only just clip in the default, so it is like it loads up way more.
    Updates are amazing by the way, but yeh I just can't decide which ffb to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I always doubted what he was saying about the diff, because to me the biggest issue was brake temp, but I 100% admit he was right on that. For me the brake overheating issue caused a similar corner entry oversteer that I figured was what he was complaining about. Obviously now I'll admit I was wrong because I feel the difference massively. I don't notice the difference so much on corner entry as I do when the car goes past the limit. I can more reliably power out of a slide/drift in a lot of cars. Where I feel he was right is with cars like the F3 309, which always felt snappy mid-corner. It definitely feels more stable at the rear now. For cars like that, the GT's and especially the P3 the difference is night and day now. The biggest change for me is cars like the Corvette C3 and C3R, the rear of the car is still loose, but consistent. Before it would slide, grip, slide again, and felt like it was on a knife edge. Now it does really controlled slides out of a corner and progressively grips up again.

The problem I had with his previous comments was he always complained about no lift-off-oversteer, which many cars had too much of imho. For example: the Formula Trainer was ALL lift-off-oversteer and was super challenging to drive because of it. After the update it seems much more tame, whether that was a diff issue or default setup issue I don't know.

I do have to give it to him, that he was the only content creator who said "if they fix this I'll approve" and followed through. Props to him on knowing what part of the physics was the issue. Then again, GM isn't right on everything, because he always claims I'm "aero-boying" with magic setups and hacks. :whistle:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There are always, to some degree, magic setups and hacks in every racing sim. What we are experiencing now is a giant leap away from magic towards better realism and accuracy in AMS 2 as a result of fixing multiple hacks and errors of which the sticky diff was just one. Every sim has these moments, like the improved tire model that emerged in ACC quite a while after it was released. But this one is so shocking because tires, differentials, drive line components, brakes, aerodynamics--and FFB--are all combining to make such a dramatic improvement that literally everyone can tell the difference almost immediately when driving the cars.

We're all happy that the LSDs are fixed. However, much of what was said to GM about his complaints is still true. In fact, it is more true now--you can apply standard engineering principles to set-up options that will change the balance and handling of the cars and these set-up configurations are now more likely to behave as they would on the real-life counterparts to the vehicles in the sim.

But all that really matters is more people will enjoy the sim now with less tinkering involved...which hopefully translates into greater popularity...which translates into resources to pursue more improvements, more tracks and more cars for us the customers :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

It's not you... The AI have a 2.5nd gear, and we don't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Read some posts here and there (not the entire thread) but seems to me that no one is talking about driving in wet conditions (or cold track) against the AI - they are racing on rails: wayyy more grip than you. On dry conditions, the game is really good, though. Cannot use variable weather anymore, but as soon as it starts to rain, you're done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I'm just remembering this comment from @Renato Simioni way back in July.

Firstly, I think it's a huge positive that it turned out to be wrong! It's already obvious that 1.3 has won over a swathe of people, and it's only been a few days. Definitely a new dawn for AMS2.

Secondly, I'd love to know the story behind how the 'sticky diff' issue was resolved. This seems to be the game changer and it seems there must have been an 'epiphany moment' of some sort. Was it a lucky discovery, or the result of months of research? Is there a story to be told?

Finally, I'm wondering if the development trajectory of AMS2 will now change, now that the physics is unequivocally 'fixed'? Does 1.3 open opportunities to focus on other areas for features and improvements?

BTW, congratulations again on this update! So well deserved.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. StevePMo

StevePMo Member

Has anyone else noticed that the Mercedes GT3 is way off the pace at Ibarra? Porsche is too, but not as bad as the Merc. It was close to a 5 second gap for the Merc. I tried it at Guapore', and it was fine.

8. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tracks like Ibarra have a high altitude and this means power loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

You could take a photo and hang it up on your wall ;)

At the end of the day, there’s no context to so many of the leaderboards, some are just impossible to get close to now, and have been for some time.
    I could just as easily look at your time now and just assume it was set under old versions and discount it as irrelevant. But then that also doesn’t give me any motivation to try and find the margin.

but for me , it’s not the time set or where it ranks that’s important, it’s the fun of the challenge of chasing that time and the learning that comes from it, but it will be nice to know the time your chasing is relevant.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

For these high altitude tracks, use a car with a turbo if you have the option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Baz you need to accept that for driving sims in VR your setup is underpowered! I have a 2080ti and I can hold my hand up and say my rig is underpowered for driving sims in VR especially for sunset and night racing! Games like half life Alyx, boneworks, TWD, pistol whip my rig is a beast and so is yours, but for flight and driving sims our pc set ups are out dated. Also bear in mind us VR users are a very niche group, within a niche hobby ( currently ) and this is why they are catering for flat screen racers more, because that’s where the vast majority of their revenue will come from and they need to make this sim as beautiful as possible to compete with ACC success and get a share of those customers.
    You can either buy a 30 series card and feel the difference or do what I’m doing and holding out for the 40 series and be happy with what we have. I’m glad the graphics have become more intensive and beautiful because in a couple of years time when I upgrade headset and get a new pc I want AMS2 to set my eyes on fire with its beauty!
    The best you can hope for are tiny optimisations that keep each track consistent where there are no hiccups at certain corners like the Nurburgring stadium section had.
    Reiza are building for the future, this is a long project and as a business it makes sense to cater for current and future cards and not old cards.
    I’m on Rift S, my grids are 20 for daytime, 16 for night time I’ve dropped my settings and the game is beautiful for me and that’s what I’m used to. Folks on a G2 and a 3090 are having a smoother and more beautiful experience than me and I accept that, but I don’t mind because I’m loving all my sims on my current set up, because that’s what I’ve been running since may 2019 and I’m a patient guy.
    Either stick with what you have, wait for the 40 series and accept it, or if you can’t wait, upgrade to a 30 series. A 2070 and an i7 9700 doesn’t cut it for what you are personally expecting from VR driving sims in 2021 and 2022 and frankly neither does my 2080 ti. There are limitations to what we can achieve and you can’t have the same experience as someone on a 3080 or higher. Either change your expectations or change your set up. It’s time to accept these facts and enjoy what you have, instead of looking on the down side, making yourself unhappy and not enjoying this amazing hobby we are very lucky to have and blaming devs who are building for the future and you feel are leaving you and your setup behind.
    On our cards we can play all sims in VR, we can race AI, race in online lobbies, use sim equipment and it’s amazing! How can this not make you happy, it blows my mind every time I jump in my rig and I’m super grateful.
    Don’t be the person that spends his gaming time chasing that extra one FPS, be that person who appreciates what he has and chases that extra tenth on track!
    Enjoy what you have, because I’m loving sim racing, it’s the best its ever been with our vr headsets, beautiful graphics, wheels and pedals, comfy seats and sim rigs, people on line to meet and race with and a whole variety of sims and experiences to choose from.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wasn't making a statement about setups, I was joking about how he always thinks I'm cheating. :rolleyes:

According to him, I'm some setup wizard or hacker. Every time join his lobby I get the "ugh, this guy is 'aero-boy'ing.'" Then complains about not having a setup, says we must be hacking, etc. (Edit: I do understand this is often sarcasm, but sometimes he isn't joking and gets pretty agitated.)

I'm utterly horrible at setup, that's what keeps me from being the level of Ramsaysg or Nemesis69. Setups can help, but you typically don't need one outside of Monza, Daytona, Monaco, etc. I think I've only "needed" one to compete in a few races, and they're easily accessible from the time trials (well, not since the reset, but you get the idea). Actually the AMS2/Pc2 TT format makes good setups accessible to everyone and you don't have to rely on payed "setup shops" like in iRacing's upper levels. Not to mention Steelcast's whole series on alternate setups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Think you mean to say supercharger. Turbo will have power loss at altitude like a NA engine will.

14. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I do

• Like Like x 1
  15. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

My setup is:
    Cosmos Elite headset. 2060 super GPU, ryzen 7 5800x, 32g ram.

My settings in AMS2 are a mix of medium and high, with only shadows on low and I get awesome performance in day or night, with rain, fog or storms. The game looks and runs absolutely beautifully for me. I run with 25 ai opponents and it's always smooth. I think this misconception about needing a beast of a GPU is over used in the VR world. I think CPU is more important.

Just my 2 cents and experience to throw in the mix..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

As someone who hasn't actually used VR but tries to understand why it's demanding (so sorry if I am wrong), I think you need both. For one you need a good CPU that can push the game at 60 or 90 FPS, not sure what is the norm in VR today. This is especially problematic with games demanding on the CPU like ACC, MSFS, etc. That means that even with a high end GPU you won't get the desired framerate if you have an average CPU in single core performance, say Ryzen 5 2600 (with that bottleneck I couldn't get 50 FPS in ACC in demanding situations, at 1080p). Now if you have the CPU, the GPU can be still a bottleneck, since you have a LOT of pixels to drive, nearly 4K, maybe above in certain headsets. 4K60FPS is not something trivial these days, and as I heard 60 is not even enough for a smooth VR experience. So all in all you need a beefy PC from all aspects, which is also not trivial in today's market situation.

Keep in mind also that different people have different sensitivity to framerate and frametime consistency, so what seems smooth for one might not be for someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I have a 11900K and 3080. I still have issues the moment the headlights come on. This could really do with some optimisation when they are ready.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. EmilG

Correct. It's all about finding the bottle neck. My bottle neck now is my GPU. I can't run everything on ultra, but I found the settings that work for me. I'm just trying to say that everyone in the vr world thinks you just need a good GPU and you're set. No. You need good everything

19. EmilG

There has been an on going problem with the new drivers for the 30 series card that you might want to look into. This driver issue is the sole reason I have not upgraded my 20 series GPU to a 30 series yet.

Be sure to read it, and all replies to understand what I'm saying:
    {{MetaTags.og.title}}

20. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Its not driver related. I run MSFS 2020 , DCS you name it. No issues. The issue is nothing to do with dropped frames. Its CPU killer racing at night/ rain with headlight shadows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1