1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.1.1 & Racin´ USA Pt2 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 3, 2021.

1. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it just me or are ultra shadows looking quite a bit better? 7am Nords, light cloud and I don't have crazy shimmer. Have not tried accelerated time yet though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a wild feeling that some changes did not get into this changelog. Modern GTs feel different and there's nothing about them in the logs.

3. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, yes!

4. SnatchTractor

SnatchTractor New Member

Yes, I've tried deleting my Documents\Automobilista 2 folder as well. This removed the gallery error message. It also reset my stats, but I still can't save any changes I make to my profile, today's update has not fixed this.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I know it's a ridiculous request, but are you able to make a video recording of the profile editing process?

6. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also think sometimes not every change makes it into the patch notes. That said I have been using High shadows for the past while and am only noticing the improvement from the past number of updates. Either way to my eyes they are much less distracting than I remember.

7. DrKarotte

DrKarotte New Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly the same behaviour here.

8. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

That issue happens with all F-V10s (G1, G2, McLaren) & F-V12. Even with auto-clutch the car stalls if in gear and not using throttle or clutch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, this graphs don't make your case because they don't relate your throttle application with how each traction wheel is behaving under acceleration.

But to settle it: The car is pointing easily and the differential is visible sensible to throttling as expected. It can be the tires (that are visible more realistic now) or the aero (despite I use the same numbers as before... and the aero balance don't changing it before). It's not gear relation because I tried some changes at it (especially the final) and the new behavior still amazing. But it's making the differential work better.

About the log: Don't matter if Renato say that he change stuff without giving details (that I don't thing that it fits in a press release like that... nor it's even to players to know and should be kept as a "for devs only" data).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not particularly interested in TT hotlaps for comparison because it's a bizarre environment. I don't look at them for the story, merely a confirmation if need be. I look at my times in the types of sessions I'm doing and stacking up from there. I don't race in bizarro conditions to squeeze lap time, I almost never race with an "optimal" track, rarely "hot lap" (aka play sim racing guitar hero) or run the car with no fuel. I know fairly well where I stand in the sim racing skill spectrum and can go from there to a reasonable degree to what a higher skilled driver would be doing in those conditions.

Track wise, the comparison is made with 100% awareness of the Long Beach layout was changed in 2000 and has since had some curbing altered in a few corners, and we're comparing to cars that are a bit faster than the 98 cars we have now. It's an imperfect comparison but with the context of the other comparisons you get a picture.

2.6 seconds faster around Cleveland is a pretty huge gap. The track is 9 corners at absolute best, less than a minute long, and you aren't gaining that kind of time with raw HP or unrealistically low drag short of being hilariously way off. Track surface is definitely a factor but that's a bit out there lap time wise for as short and simple as the circuit is. I could live with mid 55s at this stage being "close enough", but we're a bit past that.

Laguna is similar though it appears to show this far less as the track surface IRL (am I allowed to use that acronym while discussing CART...) has famously aged a heck of a lot and lost a ton of grip, so assuming AMS2 tries to have that circuit portray the type of surface it now has we're too quick even if we're equaling.

Being faster than RL lap times definitely isn't a be all end all, but these cars are pretty certainly a good bit beyond where they need to be when run in (reasonably realistic) full tilt.

I'll also say Crimson - re: setups - I think it's mostly better in these cars than it's been before, or at least was when I last was around. The Swift though I felt was clunkier though, that's the biggest offender out of the bunch when I talk about the front not working. The Reynard is less picky though still definitely safe, and the Lola is just a brick anyways.

Also worth saying I felt like it was better on the hards all over, the balance shift works better with the default setups than the softs you typically will use in most races. (fwiw, I don't feel like the softs wear fast / harshly enough, though ymmv I guess)

Not at Crimson but just saying it because I got a comment about it on that video -

I'm 1000% in the camp that states grip =/= forgiveness =/= easy =/= difficult. Bringing the corner speeds back a bit through tires or aero doesn't need to make these cars "impossible" to drive as that's a different factor entirely. iRacing cars at PEAK "iceRacing" were too quick to the point of traction rolling in cold weather, yet still had zero forgiveness. A car can be forgiving, but if it's got a narrow optimal window it ain't going to be easy.

And if you think "less grip" somehow equates to "less forgiving" go drive the things on hard tires. You go slower but the car is still a blast to drive.

The hard tire as it is now with soft tire wear and a harder hard tire with the current wear would be a nice step in the right direction and nerf the grip back a bit without radical changes.

That change and if they can some how get rid of some of the bizarre "there is no way that should have been saved" saves you can get for whatever reason at times it'd be a riot. Though given a lot of cars suffer from that last factor I don't know if it's a car thing or engine issue.

Need to test the cars with the update from today to see how it goes though.

BTW - just so we're clear I really like the cars, I just want em pulled back a bit and that behavior cleaned up if possible, because I really like the cars. I think they have a good thing going here but as I think I said in the video, that last 10% is 50%

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just wanted to let you know my issue with the pit stops seems to have been fixed with the latest update!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Vancouver confirmed it would be so great to have more Indy tracks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

This is a great improvement, hopefully the start of much more to come with the Ui to shared memory. I won't go into details, you know what we need shared by now. I live in hope. Plus removing the fixed steering wheel when off option is selected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

the graphs do relate throttle application with how each wheel is behaving under acceleration though.

And Crimson knows more about diffs than anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@oez Two get in, one gets out? (i think, it will be him :D)
    20bc30f8cf25b0a08d453c2ee894988e.jpeg

Really, let's not do that here.
    There are many people knowing about that stuff. :)

Okay back to topic. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. My first MP in GTEs after 1.3 dropped, at Bathurst, there were comments about how they still had too much grip. Then I pointed out that the lap times were 6+ seconds slower.

17. sedesa tatasa2

sedesa tatasa2 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

It is road bumps that make such micro-correction.
    The driver responds to small grip changes due to road bumps.
    AMS2 can reproduce it, but it is lost in 1.3.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to follow up now that I've done some driving with the 1.3.1.1 1998 cars -

Did about an hour and a half (mostly Salvador and a bit of Long Beach) and didn't fall into one of those weird "saveable when it definitely shouldn't be" slides that were semi common before the patch, least common enough I feel like I would have run into it at least once on the previous build, so solid improvement. I assume that's just down to the aero change.

Cars feel different though, the soft tires have the same type of feel the original hards did. Less edgy and slower responding in a good way.

Long Beach I was still running mid 1:06s on the softs, medium fuel in the car, medium rubber so time was about the same. I was thinking they might have just put the hards in for the softs because the feel is so similar but the lap time doesn't seem to indicate that was exactly the case. Or I got faster, but probably not that. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It would seem it is also related to visual glitch we have when a tyre is ripped off in a accident. From that point on in session there is no tyre rendered. F3 use to do this and was fixed so based on this I am confident a fix can be set..

• Like Like x 2
  20. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So, I have to agree with you that these cars are just a few seconds faster than they should be. Early 2000's cars were doing 1:07-1:08's, and modern IndyCar sits around a 1:06-1:08 now. I was doing 1:04's in a multiplayer quali session.

Also, how different are the tire compounds? I tried the hards for a longer multiplayer race that was going on and didn't notice much difference in wear rate or temperature tolerance. I like the way the hards feel, but I haven't found them to be all that useful even in longer races.