1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

The ultimate ffb-calibration tools are our hands+senses+preference. I'm not sure we can expect a rational way to explain how that all works. :p:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, but the point of the calibration process is to give the player the experience that Reiza intends. Incorrect calibration dilutes or distorts the devs' hard work.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Spent some time experimenting with the Default and Default+ FFB files with the G920.
    DFT: 75/11/19/30
    DFT+: 62/11/5/56

4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Nice video with nice explanations. It certainly answered some questions that have been lurking in my mind for some time. Thanks :)

5. Sim Driven

Sim Driven New Member

Does putting adjusting sensitivity just create a linearity curve for the pedals, not sure what way AMS2 does it but less than 50% concave and more than 50% convex, so a convex curve alot of pressure to start then it tails off near full pedal?

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Less than 50% = convex response curve, less initial response
    More than 50% = concave response curve, more initial response

7. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Are you sure about the damping...I thought it has no effect and should be set close to zero. Oscillating is because of FEI.

8. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys, I'm about a week into my first experience with a DD wheel with the GT DD PRO version of the CSL DD and absolutely loving it.
    Currently with AMS 2 I'm enjoying the recommended Fanatec settings via fanalabs but I'd love to hear from experienced users what they think of these fanatec settings or maybe some other settings people might recommend I try, thanks.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Haha no I'm not sure about damping :) I'm back to zero damping in-game and just using NDP in Fanatec control panel.

And I'll probably change that in a week because after two years, I still can't find the right settings. Mainly because the Devs refuse to update the first page of this thread. It doesn't even mention the in-game damping. It's from April 2020. The FFB has been updated like three times since then.

Somewhere a Dev said to use ONLY in-game damping and not your wheel damping. I think I remember that, but again it's not on the front page where people can easily read it, so it's lost in a 200-page thread.

Should I use FX on a DD wheel? Fanatec says no. Reiza says.... ????
    Should I use in-game damping or wheel damping or both? I don't know.

I've literally never had this much trouble getting good FFB on any sim.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

For the Accuforce V2 DD wheel in-game damping does seem to help with oscillations and the aggressive snap back to center in Default and Default+. I have no idea if this is true with Fanatec or any other DD wheel.

My in-game for Accuforce:
    Gain: 35-70 depending on car.
    LFB: 0-3
    FX: 35
    Damping: 35

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

The in-game Damping offers a dynamic-damping approach, meaning the steering characteristics of the cars may vary more (one car to another). In theory, that also dampens the wheel behavior in a way that should be more stable and avoid / reduce oscillations.

If / when, the in-game damping does not do enough to control oscillatory behavior, use some servo-side damping (in addition) to make up the difference. Note: with dd-systems, direct servo damping is not the same as "Direct Input" damping. Most sim-titles do not use the "Direct Input" ffb-channels, or at least very minimally (wheel damping at stand-still / pitbox, etc.).

In general: If the wheel response (Self aligning torque) feels delayed or slow, there is too much damping being applied. If oscillations occur, there is likely too little damping being applied. The ideal balance offers excellent control and response, while retaining a good amount of detail. None of the (under-steer / over-steer) effects should give the impression that the ffb is lagging behind or overly aggressive.

Note: In-game Damping may or may not apply with custom-ffb, it depends on the custom file being used.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Just follow the same process as everyone else, since FFB has to be tuned both for your hardware and your personal preferences. Here is a link to a past post of mine that many found helpful:

Automobilista 2 FFB Adjustment

There is also one in this thread (above from a while back).

P.S., for non-DD wheels, it's pretty straightforward. The trick is how NOT to confound the whole process with all the myriad wheel-based adjustments available on most DD wheels. There should be a "set all to default" and assume the devs of any particular sim would design their FFB accordingly. Like a music recording, if you want to hear it the way it was intended, don't fiddle with the equalizer settings. Only use them if you have a defect in your equipment or some issue with the acoustics in the room that you need to systematically address. I believe the same applies to wheels and pedals. Don't try to out-smart the devs with custom this or that until you have first found the basic foundational settings using all default (Default+ in this case ;) ) settings. Then, when you tweak or change something, you will know exactly what you are trading-off instead of remaining lost and falling down rabbit holes (which are way too easy to experience with sim racing hardware!).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just use Maurice's profiles in fanalab and find they offer good FFB generally, am happy with them.

14. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Yes, set FX to 80. It just give you a better feel of the road and engine RPM. I set Gain to 70 because I want some resistant to the wheel (I don't want it to be too loose). I get Low Force Boost to 10 because when it park or not speeding, I still want to feel some vibration from the engine. And set Menu Spring Strength to 0, it has no effect. Damping set to 10 (I don't think it does anything).

Update: After playing around with it, I am now using the following settings for DD1:
    Gain: 60 (overall FFB)
    LFB:10 (this give you a feeling of the tires through the wheel when turning corner *also stop the wheel from vibrating or shaking too much)
    FX: 50 (this give you a feeling of the road texture)
    Damping: 75 (I feel like this give me a sense of the weight of the car *very important*//when you bump into another car, you will feel the weight of your car shifting in VR with motion compensation activated)
    Menu Spring Strength: 0 (this does nothing)
    Update #2:
    Gain: 50 (this is perfect and not too strong)
    LFB: 100 (this is needed to feel all the road texture smoothly while turning corner; the trade off is that the wheel is oscillating a bit...not too bad)
    FX: 0 (this doesn't seem to have an effect, if I change it to 100, it started to be bouncy while turning corner, so the higher the number, the more bouncy while cornering...not what I wanted because I can't feel the pavement)
    Damping: 100 (it just feel right going 100).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  15. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey, I have the same wheel and your config gets me better information than the default sliders setup.

Do you made any other changes? Thanks a lot!

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Has Anybody a recommendation for FFB settings on my CSW V.2.5 for the latest beta?

17. Brett Laurent

Brett Laurent New Member

This is really for Thrustmaster wheels namely Ts Pc Racer .Has any one worked out good settings with the Boost we now have .

18. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Member AMS2 Club Member

TM Control Panel with Boost enabled
    Overall 100, Constant 100, Periodic 100, Spring 0, Damper 0
    AMS2 in-game
    Gain 35-40 depending on a car, LFB 0-5, FX 35-40 (didn't need to change much with boost), some minor Damping for personal preference

19. Sim Driven

Sim Driven New Member

So the ABS and contact is so bad making the wheel move violently its actually unplayable shame as I really like the game and have bought the DLC's but have resigned it to the come back in 6 months plus as there are so many good sims out there pointless wasting time and effort on this.

20. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

I'm also having problem with ABS/FFB in some cars, I reported some time ago, but as usual I didn't have an answer