1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hi
    I am traveling with the dd1. I always stayed at 5.01 because the static cushioning is not good for DD bikes. But with little adjustment, it's almost perfect for the dd1

2. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

Raising the damping seems to be the easiest solution for oscillations with the Default/Default+. I had to raise my to between 40 and 50 for it to be manageable. The problem is that there becomes less quality feedback. In this regard, rfuktor is easier to use and have better feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey Oliver,

Reg. LFB: Yes, it can be used to strengthen the lower forces. In the 5.x series it also can lower it. Here is how it works: custom lfb
    You can pull the "v" slider to see the effect.
    It also does a few other things, but this is the essense.

Reg. loss of information, higher LFB should help, but unf. the M1 pro car I think is one of the cars that physics wise is not set up well in AMS2, so if the FFB code strives too hard to "fix it" it will hurt your driving abilities, since it would have to mask what is happening. The car simply slides too much, just like a few others in AMS 2 (caterhams too for example). Do you have this lack of feel in other cars, like GTE, the new USA Carts, etc?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robert Dolšak

Robert Dolšak New Member

What are yours ingame settings?

5. Karsten Hvidberg

It is really interesting to see how close all our settings are getting now, it seems like we cannot be far off a pretty awesome all-rounder file :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

We might need to find if there is something that has been lost going from 5.0,1 -> 5.0.5, that we want back, as @Kuku Maddog is hinting at and trying to figure out. So any feedback on that might help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg I'm finding an unpleasant grinding feeling constantly. It doesn't seem to match in any way the engine revs so I think it as 'road noise'. Also there is very little sense of self-centering/castor effect still. This is with your 5.0.4 custom file. In game I'm using 30,8,35,0 I don't like the game's damping effect at all on my wheel.

8. oli65

oli65 New Member

Yes with the faster cars its much better. I think AMS doesnt well implement the old slower german cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Neil,

Maybe FX slider is too high?

But if that is not good, then try and decrease
    (road_rolling_slip_feel 1.0)
    to something lower might help?

Reg. the little sense of self-centering that sounds weird, which car is it?
    You can try changing "centering" value to see if anything helps?

It is interesting what might be required to make the Accuforce be nailed as well.

Best,

-K

• Like Like x 2
  10. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll have a quick try with that parameter and report back.

reg the self-centering, it is all cars in my experience.

11. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hi

Generally around
    55, 25, 25, 25 .

there’s no likelihood of my ingame settings being a golden goose, as it’s dependant on far to many variables of different wheel bases, different wheel software settings and different tastes.

but as a starting point it could be used as an indication of typical balance between effects.
    Nothing too extreme or super low.
    These settings are what I would run a F-USA around Watkins Glenn for example and could run all day and is a good test of max force’s.

lower speed and low downforce cars may need higher gain which can be done per car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, but as per the post I'd linked, the damping makes no difference - to prove the point the video was taken with damping @ 100 :)

13. Robert Dolšak

Robert Dolšak New Member

What wheel base do you use?

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Seems there's something not right. Damping definitely works to slow the response and avoid oscillations with Default/Default+ here.

15. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

In the "System" settings menu is the UDP protocol set to Project Cars 2? I don't have the same wheel as you, but I didn't have that set correctly and it wasn't communicating with my wheel software. I would think in game damping would still work, but sometimes weird things happen.

I didn't get a chance to read all your posts, so I apologize if you tried this already, but have you verified AMS2 steam files? Maybe it's got a corrupt file somewhere causing the issue.

16. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

A Simagic Alpha Mini DD
    , but like I said don’t expect plug and play settings, you will need to find what works best for you. But I suggest starting at damper about half of gain . And you need gain to be set so that the min weight and maximum corner force is acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Tested your 5.0.5 vs Kuku's 5.0.1 back to back now, and I must say I prefer your 5.0.5.
    The differences are very small, but I feel I have a bit more feeling about what the car is doing with your version.
    It's difficult to describe, but I feel it is easier to feel when the car is about to loose grip, and when I'm a little bit too fast into a corner with 5.0.5.
    This is on a DD1. I guess the feeling might be different on other wheel bases.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah - everything verified, and even did a fresh install after 1.3. The UDP setting is for transmitting telemetry data, which isn't somethng I thought most/any wheels would listen for (unless using something like irffb). Anyway, gave it a try just in case, but no effect. No big deal - I'm very happy with Karsten and Kuku's work :)

19. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

DD1

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg , I also wanted to do some comparison tests between 5.0.5 and 5.0.1, I must say that I prefer 5.0.5, even if the difference, as already said by @torsteinvh, is very subtle, but it is more consistent and understandable. ;)

If I succeed tomorrow I want to experiment on 5.0.5 the modification of these items with which I have not yet played a lot, we will see what comes out and what emotions if relevant.

(power_steering_angular (* 1.2 power_steering))
    (power_steering_df (* 0.9 power_steering))
    (power_steering_vel (* 0.3 power_steering))

Only one thing I would like to improve in 5.0.5, the extreme lightness to which the force drops when using cars with low downforce.
    I'll give a numerical example to explain myself better, on a scale from 1 to 10, before the strength between all the cars was between a maximum of 10 and a minimum of 5, now it drops to 3 and it is too light at the bottom.
    What could I change to just improve this aspect??
    Only "static force reduction" modify or others voices??