1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Rating explained

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Jan 2, 2022.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

Hey there,

due to curiousity, i wanted to know how the Safety Rating works.

Here are same facts that i have researched, most of them shouldnt be known yet.

Your Safety Rating progress is stored in a decimal number (eg 123.456789).
    While you are driving around in an Online Lobby with atleast 1 other car on the Track (doesnt matter if AI or Human), u will start to earn "Points".

This Number is later used to assign you to a Tier or Bracket, commonly known as U, F, E, D, C, B, A or S.
    The Brackets are split up like so:

[​IMG]

so for example from U to C it takes 400 points.
    How do u gain/lose Points?
    This seems to be calculated on a 'per Turn' basis, so per turn you are gaining some points, usually around the 0.05 - 0.15 mark for the First Lap, afterwards it seems to increase to 10x, so around 0.5 - 1.5 points.
    If other vehicles are nearby the gained points are multiplied by a small number, didnt look into this much, just noticed the number increase a bit higher, but not extremly.
    The first Lap seems to contribute very little, possibly due to all the cars being close together by default.
    Near misses seem to contribute quite a decent chunk of points, unsure how this is calculated and what the ranges are.

Losing Points by severity per offense:
    Touching Grass
    : if you just happen to drive off the road on a straight, usually deducts 0.02 - 0.1.
    Spinning: 0.25 - 1.5 (usually around 0.3 - 0.5), spinning multiple times, counts as multiple times!
    Speeding on Track: speeding? what are you talking about? ill cover this later. around 0.3 - 0.5 per instance, not sure what the interval is here, prolly like 5 - 10 seconds or so. Alternatively there could also be a Bug, which seems to decrease your Points starting when entering the last Lap all the way till the cooldown lap is over.
    Cutting: this varies alot, cutting chinances like on Monza can become pretty costly, 1.0 - 8.0
    Contact: most of the time around 5 (can go up to 10), value could be determined by contact magnitude, there is no cooldown for contact penalties tho, earlier today someone lagged right at the start of the race and i got hit multiple times within a few milliseconds and had -35 points 5sec into the race.

Before and after the Race:

Formation Lap
    : Rating System is disabled/inactive during the Formation Lap.
    Cooldown Lap: Everything is active, including speeding. Going around the Track at Race Speed during the Cooldown will slowly eat away your gained Points. Just driving around slowly will keep gaining you Points.

Practice/Quali/Race:
    I havent looked at Practice, but generally speaking, Race gains more Points than Quali, i have no exact value cuz i dont care lol.

Final Words and my Opinion:

Even when having been hit multiple Times at the Start and then later being hunted by some backmarker, its pretty easy to gain points after a 5-10lap race.
    Aslong as you dont ragequit as soon as you get knocked out, u will end up with a net positive.
    That being said, i have seen people just push other people off the track, but then continue driving normally.
    unsuprising, even if you get -5 points, driving around the next person for a bit and then pushing him out aswell, will keep your SR neutral.

a cooldown of a few seconds before the next penalty should be put in place to reduce mass penalty-ing.
    the amount of penalty points should be multiplied the more contacts you have over a race for a more punishing experience, but i bet theres multiple ways to a working solution.

my Tool "pAMS2Spotter" has been updated yesterday to show you your current Safety Rating, how much Points you have gained during the current Session and how much Points are required towards the next Bracket for anyone interested
    [​IMG]
    pAMS2Spotter (p stands for Perfect)

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
    MasterLooser.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. MasterLooser

actually, i have just rewatch my last recording, it seems like the whole last lap i am constantly losing SR, including the cooldown lap.
    this might be a bug and not speeding

3. MasterLooser

i have done a quick self test to demonstrate that the current penalty for contact is negated by the points you gain within 1Lap.
    Which basically means, you could push people off the track once per lap, and still gain more safety rating.
    which in theory means someone sitting in S could be driving like this and remain there

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Reeposter

Reeposter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think I know what speeding is about - probably speeding in pitlane.
    I've made a mistake yesterday while on ranked server - I haven't checked that there was pit assist off and I've got a penalty for speeding in the pits, my safety ranking decreased

5. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

i was specifically refering to a decrease that happens after the race is over.
    i tested this further and sometimes cant notice a decrease in points, regardless how fast i am going.
    and sometimes i am randomly losing points starting with the last lap, all the way through the cooldown lap.
    no idea why this is happening

6. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for this work! It is really appreciated! I was just wondering about this yesterday, and I was going to post a question here. If I remember correctly, in iRacing they explained exactly how to gain/lose points. I was really hoping for something like this!

7. MasterLooser

if i recall correctly, the devs themselves said they would put up such a thread, but this hasnt happened yet, so maybe in the future they will publish something thats even greater and goes into more details then my thread, but atm this is all we have :D

you are welcome

• Like Like x 1
  8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not really a surprise that the safety rating doesn't stop skilled but malicious drivers from strategically punting their opponents off while still gaining safety rating. It doesn't do it in iRacing or RaceRoom either.

iRacing's severe damage model and poor netcode make it a risky proposition, but in RaceRoom ranked lobbies there are fast(ish) people who will intentionally tailgate their opponents instead of trying to pass and then just punt them from behind in every corner, hoping they will go wide or spin. As long as they don't accrue incident points from off-tracks, they can use this as a strategic reserve since the damage model is so lenient. So the safety rating mainly hinders people who can't keep the car on track or avoid incidents due to lack of skill, rage quitters, and people with bad Internet connections.

The only way to get rid of skilled but malicious drivers is to ban them, which requires admins actively looking out for this stuff. It's just not happening on open lobbies without a paid subscription service or a league-type setting.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MasterLooser

handing out a bigger punishment per contact would certainly seperate clean drivers and people who constantly have contacts, also shown in the video is that rubbing and light contacts arent counted, so just having close racing will rarely result in a penalty.

from a logical perspective, the positive point result in the race i have recorded, means the game judges this races as a safe race.
    the whole safety rating is rather useless if u keep gaining points even after such a race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rafa Fernandez

Rafa Fernandez New Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for this info, but what do U, F, E, D, C, B, A and S mean? Do they have any meaning?

11. MasterLooser

thats just what it shows ingame

12. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry for asking what is probably a stupid question but can you have the safety rating displayed live as you drive?

Edit. I mean in standard game not a third party add on

13. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Skilled but malicious...hmmm.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be great show the Safety letter and rating next to the PING in the label above all the online multiplayers, so one would know if it's risky to be near that driver or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I just checked my rating. Been driving online but for quite a while now only with a friend or two and rest AI. Looks like this maybe doesn't count. My rating is zero with a blank "recent history".
    Is the rating only applied with full human grid?

16. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Seems to be a server issue. Everybody starts with U1500.

17. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

The safety rating system is way too forgiving.
    In a short MP race I spun and left track twice and rear ended an other poor guy twice.
    After the race I had gained SR, instead of losing...:confused:

18. MasterLooser

it works even with full AI grid aslong as its an online lobby
    there is a way to reset it, but its pretty fiddely, and hard to explain

19. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You have to join ranked races.

20. Wild Cheese

Wild Cheese New Member

Coming back to this analysis (was thinking about this while out walking yesterday). It seems the safety rating algorithm has two issues
    • As long as your average race rating score is slightly positive, you can progress all the way from U to S driving in the same dirty driving style.
    • The gap between safety classes makes it feel like it takes longer to reach the next level, but once you are in a higher class that large gap also makes it unlikely you ever go down.
    Comparing this to Raceroom which scales the scoring of their safety metric (reputation 0-100) depending on your current value. A 15 min sprint race with 10 incident points can produce safety gain for a mid-range player but a loss for a player with very high safety. The higher you progress the smaller the gains and the easier it is to lose rating, so it requires very clean driving to stay near the top of the scale.

I think the AMS2 rating could also use some scaling of the scoring so that per-turn gains get smaller and penalties for incidents get heavier as you progress up the scale. That would make it necessary to drive cleaner as you climb safety rating. If the scoring is scaled then the classes wouldn't need to be spaced further apart, progress upwards will slow down via the scoring, and bad driving has more risk for you to drop down.

• Informative Informative x 1