1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 December 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2021.

1. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Understand how - unfortunately - copyright could limit how the classics are named and how possibly the cars could span a few years making it harder to put a specific year in their name, but how about in the car stats, could we have a year of manufacture or even a range of years?

Would that conflict with licensing rules, is it directly related to what the cars are named or that not even any hint of tying the cars to a year / decade is alowed I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Found a great article by Ganassi Managing Director Mike Hull comparing the 2000 Lola and (1999?) Reynard cars. Differences in braking, downforce and weight (Lola better). Its not entirely clear if they compared the 2000 Lola and 2000 Reynard or 1999 Reynard. Probably 1999 Reynard. I believe they had all this cash to swing around after they closed the deal with Toyota for 2000-2002 engine supply (reportedly worth 10s of millions):

...drove up to Lola, and after looking around, we ordered a couple of cars so that we could take them to a test to decide whether we’d continue to run Reynard – whose 1999 chassis we hadn’t been entirely happy with by the end of the season – or switch to Lola.

...went to Lola and bought a couple of cars for the CART IndyCar season, and we’re going to do comparison tests of the Reynard with the Lolas.

Well anyway, we took delivery of our first Lola very soon after that visit to England, we put a Toyota in it and went to Sebring, and also took a Reynard. Remember, these were the days when we had multiple cars, so we could genuinely do back-to-back tests and change seats and pedals really quickly for either driver, so the racetrack didn’t change fundamentally between runs. In other words, we were truly comparing apples with apples.

First we send Montoya out in the Reynard and Vasser in the Lola. Now, Jimmy could break an anvil in a sandbox when it comes to braking but he’s pounding around in this Lola but not locking up wheels under braking. We also discover that the Lola has a huge amount more downforce than we’d had in the Reynard but it’s also 50lbs lighter, so we can move the ballast anywhere in the car for ideal weight distribution. So we swap Jimmy and Juan [Montoya] around – now Jimmy in the Reynard and Juan in the Lola – and Juan is blisteringly quick. Needless to say, at the end of the session, Chip just turned to me and said: “Right. Make the call to Lola.”

THE GANASSI WAY, BY MANAGING DIRECTOR MIKE HULL

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. amsimp

amsimp Impatient Racer

… TCR class? …TCR South America Touring Car Championship? :):oops:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. lsmanley

lsmanley Member

The historic series I'd most like to see is the 1996 ITC (International Touring-Car Championship). Those Class 1 cars were awesome beasts! There's already 8 of the 13 tracks used that season in game and content from the 3 manufacturers that competed as well so fingers crossed we can get that!

• Like Like x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Ooohh yes Helsinki Thunder! <3 Dibs on the Calibra!

6. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. This would be fantastic. Those were like F1 cars in touring car format. At least that's how Keke described them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lianjieyiqie

lianjieyiqie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm trying my best to translate the Simplified Chinese of AMS2 , so can you send me the English package?
    I have translated a lot from the game capture myself, but I can't find all the text, and some of the content is incomplete. I hope to contribute to the simplified Chinese version.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm surprised to see dirt racing listed in the plans already for 2022, as Reiza in their Facebook Q&A gave some hints that dirt racing content was to come quite late in the development cycle: "Chances are very high, albeit this would be part of a very long term project". And on Stadium Supertrucks: "We hope to have them, if we can get it licensed – still pursuing it!" Maybe they suddenly made some progress on the licensing front?

While the Stadium Supertrucks and Formula Dirt in AMS1 were a lot of fun, I'm most looking forward to the possibility of rallycross in AMS2, simply because I really enjoyed this aspect of Project Cars 2, lapping Brands Hatch Historic Rallycross in the RX Lites and forgetting time until I ran out of fuel. I won't be surprised if we see a return of Tykkimäki and Autódromo Max Mohr (Ascurra), but I'd love to see some quick rallycrossification of existing tracks in AMS2: Hockenheimring, Nürburgring, Brands Hatch Historic (without the PC2 fictional joker lap), and even the new Spa track that goes up and down Eau Rouge.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't mind if Reiza made a spin-off product that focused more on Rally, Rallycross and Hillclimb. Hire a new team (probably need a lot more 3D modelers) and aim for a 2024 release. And instead of incorporating dirt racing into AMS2, rather have AMS2 focus on tarmac circuit racing and use the spin-off product for dirt and mixed surfaces. There is definitely a target audience of people who want a rally sim following the footsteps of Richard Burns Rally.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Or maybe just focus on getting AMS2 to the point it is a ever expanding title that can just grow with DLC forever :whistle:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS 2 has to become some sort of Racing Hub. You've the base game, and you can expand it with DLC. Just like Train Sim; I only like UK trains & tracks, so I only buy that. I don't buy German or USA stuff. So Reiza can increase the longevity of the gam to 2028 and onwards. Perhaps upgrading Live Track and other things on the way. Then meanwhile we have Rallye Sim built on the same principes. A base game with 3 countries, but 10+ high crafted tracks + reverse and all that, and meanwhile you can buy gravel, tarmac, mixed, etc for your own interests. I think that's how you can treat a sim. But it has to be done honestly and with a pure mind. Not introducing whale-mechanics or hiding dlc behind weird deluxe ****, like Dirt Rally 2.0. Always be honest to your customers. So to be concluded Reiza does have a Circuit and a Rally racing sim to maintain then. Which will be amazing and people still playing in 2030+. After that Reiza can maybe think about developing AMS 3. It would be so weird to finish AMS 2 and then advertising AMS 3.. Unless all DLC can be carried over.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

there better be Road America this coming weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I hope it's coming too rather than getting yet another delay but whatever happens happens I guess, shouldn't really say anything until Reiza says something

13. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

im not sure how much market there is to compete with the wrc and dirt rally games, but it might be cool to include a rally stage in ams2 when reiza introduce rallycross to ams2. If you remember the monaco or the california highways in pc2, reiza could make their own version but make it on a dirt path somewhere

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Written like a threat! What will you do if they cant deliver?

• Funny Funny x 7
  15. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

I will be boycotting Chiquitas for a month

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. jonathon

jonathon Linuxer

I know that British F3 has to be rebranded to GB3 because of the FIA trademark registration on "Formula 3", but given the number of F4 series out there I'm not sure whether this is an actual issue. There are also plenty of Formula series out there (e.g. Super Formula) that aren't FIA-associated and they all operate without issue. Then again, Reiza has actual lawyers.

One option, if having numbers is an issue, would be to use some well-known event or era-marker, e.g. instead of "Formula Sixty" then "Formula Apollo" for the 1965-era cars.

17. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Renalto has said stating the years they represent in the game is flying too close to the copyright sun. It isn't just something I'm making up. He has addressed this topic in the Area51 portion of the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

Yeah R O A D A M E R I C A and I won t have nightmares from those bunch of open wheelers anymore. W8 till 24h Daytona has finished this WE

• Like Like x 1
  19. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Yes! ...and when the economic sanctions yield no effect, we shall incite a small civil war... Claiming "Prost was always the better driver!"

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Without knowing it then I wonder if Raceroom really have got a licence from some F1 mafia :D for their naming of this historic F1 pack.
    Or if they have just taken the chance.;)
    But I have to admit that years in the names of the different Formula cars would be great.
    But no biggie - at least seen in the context of the pandemic and climate crisis :)

Raceroom FR90.jpg