1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.5.1 Officially RELEASED - Now Updated to v1.3.5.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 6, 2022.

1. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

After a few laps I'm really satisfied with how the F-Ultimate Gen 2 drives, I didn't like the Gen 1 as I felt it had way too much downforce on the front end.
    This behaves nicer I have to say.

Just one thing tho, the baseline setup is awful. I was ready to say this car was even worse than the Gen 1, then I remembered to adjust at least the wings and it was a 180° experience.

@Renato Simioni I also noticed one thing, I was lapping at Imola, which had a damp track with some puddles here and there. But the track looked completely dry. But when I went into replay mode the track was actually damp, and it became damp also during gameplay. So, idk, a bit weird. It got me confused as I opted for the soft tyres since the track looked completely dry just to see it damp once out of replay mode.
    I'd like to post a video, but unfortunately shadowplay for some reason captured the loading screen even when lapping. If it happens again I'll try to record and show

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

This seems to be a trend lately. The baseline setups tend to be insanely oversteery on corner entry, for no apparent reason. Maybe @steelreserv likes it that way, but I, who has never tinkered with the defaults before, find myself desperately adjusting the wings and looking for rear grip nowadays.

3. Mr. K

Mr. K Member AMS2 Club Member

For some reason, after an update, Steam messes something up where you have to put the gamefolder as an exclusion in your antivirus software. I had this on different occasions with different games and it was always some antivirus bug.

4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To be honest I think it is a matter of real personal taste. Some like it even more oversteering some less. Baseline will always be a compromise between different tastes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Dicra

You're right, but it doesn't feel like a compromise with some cars, more like a baseline setup catering to a very specific style of driving, to which mine is the opposite (I like cars that are very stable on corner entry, which allow heavy trailbraking).

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

Great changelog!!!
    I will jump into it asap!
    Don't know if it has been revised too, but the shift light didn't work in Uno Classic B, and some cameras we're out of place, including the rearview camera, which was being blocked by a piece of trunk/bumper.
    It's cool the driver animation and foot places have been revised, some cars were needing it so badly. :)
    When in VR this kind of detail makes so much difference.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Er, Just tried the beta update and went straight to see if certain things had changed for the better and so far...... Oh,, er,, yeah its good, ITS GOOD!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, it's a vital addition. The custom AI files are a huge plus but without AI error, it still felt a bit flat.

On that subject - will additional custom AI parameters be added for likelihood of making mistakes - both forced and unforced?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm very interested in seeing how this works on the track. The AI felt a little bit too much on-rails before this. I'm pretty sure I've done a 4-hour Daytona AI race where I didn't come across a single car struggling off the track. This should make the racing feel a lot more "real". :)

I'm also curious about the technical side. Is the "proneness to errors" the same for all drivers? Can this be influenced with the AI customization XMLs, whether it's a new variable or tied to the ones already there? For example, is it (or will it be) possible to make Custom Driver One make less mistakes under pressure than Custom Driver Two?

Edit: I see sampopel got there first. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

Speaking of AI, how is it with F1 cars?
    I mean is it "smart" enough to pick the right compound (soft)? Does it change compound during a race?

11. Havner

Havner Member

Please add the new ERS state to the Shared Memory.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Dicra

So as for my rating of the new physics

1) Stock Car (tested on Spa-Francorchamps 1993)
    The previous very gummy-like feel of this car is gone; instead it now feels very stiff. It seems to be unreasonably twitchy on corner exits of slow corners, and there's a lot of understeer. Not sure I like the new behaviour better, but it seems closer to reality. There is no time to be gained anymore by making the rear tyres slide excessively - you can catch slides, but they don't help you. I'm not sure the excessive exit oversteer is realistic; reminds me of the days where we had the diff issues.

2) Formula Ultimate Gen1 (tested on Road America)
    This feels much more like it should in my opinion. The excessive turbo lag is gone. However, it still feels a little 'too' planted, I feel. It's very forgiving, you almost don't notice if you get on the grass because the downforce is just so overwhelmingly strong. Might be a little too much, especially if this doesn't get better on heavy fuel. Still a big improvement.

3) Formula Ultimate Gen2 (tested on Montreal)
    First of all, this is excellent and I couldn't have dreamt of a better car to represent the new Formula Cars. It's not as planted as Gen1, but that's exactly what makes it the far superior driving experience. This just feels right from the get go.
    The only gripe I have with it are, again and suspiciously similar to the Stock Car, the exits out of slow corners while turning, which feel surprisingly hard to do and are almost impossible to do smoothly. But maybe I just accelerate too early, I don't know.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ettore

Was that on quali or attack ERS? ;)
    Also consider the new gen cars are far stiffer to use the ground effect so slow corners is where they are far worse than gen 1 :D

14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Two standard setups to choose from would do it,if the Dev's have the time for it.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ettore

LOL.. Poor @steelreserv

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dicra

No, that was on normal ERS. As I get more accustomed to the car, it does get easier though, so maybe it was just being accustomed to old AMS2 physics (you feel the higher stiffness in the tyres quite a lot, even in Gen1).

I'm pretty sure that the Stock Car suffers from this too much, I'm not so sure it's an actual issue in Ultimate Gen2 rather than my driving ineptitude.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I see I'm not the only one who's very happy about this one..... but I am very happy about this development!

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Dicra

AI is too slow on the straights in F Ultima Gen2. Also, curiously, donuts don't work in this car.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

Added forced and unforced mistake logic for AI drivers

If I see an AI driver loose control on their own and spin out, I am going to be happier than pigs in mud.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

As much of a good idea as it is, with the hundreds of cars and dozens of tracks we have right now I think we'd probably lose an update cycle or 2 over that :p